“Like coming home!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Nebo
Harpole's Heartland Lodge, Inc
Ranked #1 of 1 Nebo B&B and Inns
Overgaard, Arizona
“Like coming home!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2011

My husband came here to hunt in 2009 with buddies. He called me that very night and told me the next time he comes here to hunt he's bringing me. Well, it's 2011 and it's my second time here during the November archery deer season. Gary and Wanda treat you like family and it's an absolutely beautiful lodge!

Ron and I stay in the main lodge, downstairs in the Lab Room. The room is large and decorated beautifully and the bed is comfy. The bathroom is large, as well, with a jacuzzi tub...nice.

The food is scrumptious! I gained five pounds, no kidding, during my first stay. All homemade and delicious...even the bread and desserts. No ready made stuff here! And, you can eat as much as you like - prime rib, turkey, roast beef, pork roast, meat loaf with all the trimmings. There is no alcohol at the lodge but that doesn't stop people from bringing their own - no problem with that. Now, if only Wanda would write a recipe book...

The crew that work in the lodge are so welcoming and friendly and the hunting guides are great guys! The same guides have been here for a few years and I see some of the same staff from last year.

Lots of things to do here, if you are a non-hunter. Quaint little antique shops and some boutiques in Pittsfield and Hannibal is only 45 minutes away. I have no problem taking off on my own for a day trip - a GPS is my best friend. Wanda was so helpful to me with suggesting places to visit. However, just sitting and reading or taking long walks is Heaven.

Can't wait to come back again and again!

Room Tip: If you are here as an archery hunter, I would pick one of the rooms on the backside of either lodge...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jennifer W

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Indianapolis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2011

My boyfriend and I visited just last month and had an amazing stay. He had found out about the place in a hunting magazine and really wanted to go. I was a little leery at first because I'm not a hunter! But we both had a great experience.

The resort is gorgeous... the rooms are fabulous. We stayed in a Luxury Suite that had a king size bed, pull out couch, comfy chairs, fireplace, and a huge bathroom with a jacuzzi tub, double vanity and stand up shower. We actually lucked out and had a tv in our room as well. The room was so comfortable!

Right outside our door was the recreation room with a very large tv, fireplace, sectional, pool table and other games. There was no one else staying in this building while we were there, so we had this room to ourselves. They also have wireless internet in their buildings which was great for me to get some work done while I was there.

Probably the best thing about this place is the food! Everything is homemade and absolutely delicious! I left probably 5 pounds heavier, but it was definitely worth it!

The service was also the best I've ever had. Everyone is so friendly and nice to you! It seems like they really do love the job they do.

A couple tips: bring some comfy house slippers because shoes are not allowed in the buildings. If you purchase the "meal plan" of sorts, it includes as much water and soft drinks you need which are located in a fridge downstairs. I had brought some extra snack food but definitely didn't need it because the meals are very large. The bedroom doors do have locks to lock the door while you're inside of them, but you can't leave and lock them. I was nervous about this as well, but it's a very safe place.

Overall, I had a great experience and was not ever bored or without anything to do!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank bnh81
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2010

Need to get away from the Grind of the big city or looking for a Midwest gem to visit. Harpole's Heartland lodge should be at the top of your list. Visited there in June of 2010, not knowing much about the place or anyone that has ever been there, but now going to be a place that i frequent.

LOCATION:
PLEASE READ THIS.....I am from Chicago, LOVE MY GPS (both on the phone and in the car), but they will not help you at all to get there. The Best advise I can give you is go to NEBO and stop at the US Post Office and they will give you the best directions from there. Also off the Main road their sign is really small so keep your eyes open.

ROOMS / Lodges:
The rooms are huge and they all have access to the outside where deer and rabbits are going to walk right up to you. Each room is decorated in a different theme based on the outdoors. Every room is different and there is so many different ones to choose from, book early for the best choices. HEADS UP....coming from Chicago this was a bit out of the norm for me the rooms do not have locks on the doors, do what you what with that piece of information.

GROUNDS:
I can not say enough about the amount of land this lodge was located on. You will have the chance to see almost anything. My advise would be to bring your 4 wheeler or rent them. The prices for renting them there seem to be a bit high, after getting back I called some local stores and they gave me much better prices for the weekend. BRING EXTRA GAS, the gas station is Pretty far so it will not be good if you run out of gas.

FOOD:
All homemade food....some of the best food at a hotel that I have in a while. If you have any dietary restrictions, CALL AHEAD they are happy to make food that you can eat. THE TOWN IS DRY So if you are a Drinker, you will need to bring what you want with you.

STAFF:
I do not have one bad thing to say about the staff. Gary will try to sit down with you at dinner and explain the history and the land, what he hunts and nature.

GIFT SHOP:
Slim pickings when I was there but did find a cute hat to get, and they were happy to call me when they got other items in.

I can not wait to go back, make sure to bring your camera, house shoes (they do not allow you to wear your shoes that you wear outside in any of the buildings, computer they have free WiFi there and there is no TV in the rooms so if someone is watching something in the main room you are stuck enjoying their show.

Feel free to email me with any questions, but not good with the directions there.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
4 Thank ktee036
Harpole, Owner at Harpole's Heartland Lodge, Inc, responded to this review, 26 October 2010
Thank you very much for the great review! I am glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to your next visit. I just want to clarify that all the rooms do have locks. You can lock all the doors while you are in the room. We just don't hand out keys, so rooms are not locked when guests are not in them. In 16yrs we have never had any problems.

Thanks again for staying with us!

Gary

Ps. Right now our gift shop is full of great items if you still would like some Heartland Lodge gear. :)
Quincy, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2010

Friends,
My wife and I and two girls have traveled to the Lodge the past three years. It is hard to sum up a great time but I will try. 1. The staff is helpful, knowledgable and friendly 2. Each meal is equivalent to your Grandmothers Thanksgiving dinner. 3. The leisurely activities are numerous, fun, and relaxing. We did not hunt but participated in bike riding, hay rack ride, bonfire and s'mores, mushroom hunting, ATV riding, a trip to the Drive Inn theatre, and leisurely reading in a very luxurious suite. Folks, you will have to see for yourself. Have Fun!

The Flemings

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank flemdoo
chicago, il
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2010

If you want to see how beautiful the heartland of illinois (and the Midwest) is you have to spend a few days at the Heartland Lodge. Experiencing the tranquility and beauty of this land took our family to another level. Gary and Wanda Harpole have created a lodge setting that feels like a home you wish you had. We have been back several times and highly recommend it to anyone who wants to just "un-plug" and enjoy the natural beauty of our great land. We were surprised how the guest book showed that people from all over the world have come there just like us. - Debndru

• Stayed April 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank dnde
Hannibal, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2010

I've had the opportunity to stay at Harpole's Heartland Lodge on numerous occasions. Each time the experience has been fantastic! The rooms are beautifully decorated..the food is delicious...and I especially like the fact that it is served "family" style. Gary and his mom...Wanda...obviously spared no expense when they build both lodges and decorated the rooms. If it's a totally relaxed get-a-way you're looking for...you're in for a real treat! Horseback rides, 4 wheeler rides, hayrides, bonfires and hot dog roasts...I've enjoyed it all at Heartland Lodge. If you're real lucky...you'll be there when they serve Cornish Game hen...wow...what a treat! With the addition of the meeting rooms featuring WI-FI...It makes a perfect place for a corporate retreat as well. If it sounds like I'm sold on Heartland Lodge...it's only because I am. You won't regret your stay!
I might add that Gary and I have established a friendship over the years...but that would not keep me from being totally upfront and honest about Heartland Lodge. I believe anyone that has ever stayed at the Lodge...probably left feeling they had made new friends with Gary and Wanda. That's just the way they are.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank miata94
Pittsfield, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2010

Great place to get away. Facilities are top notch & the staff will do anything to make your stay more comfortable

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank outdoorsmatt76

Been to Harpole's Heartland Lodge, Inc? Share your experiences!