“No pen or paper”

Ranked #1 of 159 Restaurants in Niles
Price range: US$1 - US$15
Dining options: Takeout
Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

Sadly I think it's time to rate Portillo's drive through. I like their food, but...I called ahead because they tell you to call ahead if you want ribs. so I called ahead and they told me we can't help you we don't have any paper to write down an order. Lol. I called back and they said the same thing. So maybe telling people to call ahead if they want ribs is not such a great idea if they don't have paper? I want ribs so I'm going someplace else and tonight it's Wally's.

1  Thank Carol1319

Reviewed 19 July 2013

I was told, if you head to Chicago, go to Portillo's. On my way there, I stopped in Niles and was not unsatisfied. The combo was delicious and on my back through, I got the ribs. So good! They were pretty pushy though in the ordering line. I wasn't too pleased about that.

Reviewed 17 March 2013

Whoever thought of their drive thru procedures is a stupid moron.
They have 2 to 5 people come up to your car in the drive thru lane. At peak times, one takes your order. (with no presentation or inkling WHAT FOOD THEY HAVE TO SELL.) , Another enters it in a hand held computer thingy. Another one takes your money, and yet ANOTHER one comes up to your car and hands you your food. Can they add two or three more people to this facacta process??
Of course all of this crazy fast food choreography happens BEFORE you have a chance to see the menu board to see what you might want to order. STUPID!! And if they have all these people walk up to your car anyway, why have a drive thru? I never talked into the microphone device or did anything at the window, so...WHY have a drive thru??? If they want to have employees dodging cars outside, then make it a "drive in" like the old days or like Superdog still is. Because if you are an experienced Portillo's customer typically you know what you want. But if you are new or unsure, forget it. everything stops and everyone waits if they have to take the time for a customer that asks "what do you have?" ... it is like southwest airlines, a customer that des not "know the drill" becomes a wrench stuck in the gears and everything grinds to a halt and that new customer feels like an idiot. Food is OK, hot dogs were a little too salty.
But, if I want great hot dogs and lousy service I can always go to Gene's and Jude's where they don't care what a drive thru is, and have 3 things on the menu.... three of the most wonderful things on planet earth.... (their hot dogs, fries and tamales.) But service? What's service??

1  Thank Jim G
Reviewed 4 November 2012

Portillo's is an excellent choice if you want to taste a good american fast food. But!!!, but! my favorite choice was the Italian Beef, is really good. The ambience and mood of the place is great!

Reviewed 1 November 2012

Service and atmosphere is great as usual, as was the food. Chicago dogs are yummy here and I can't do without the ribs. Only complaint: lack of salad dressings!