“One of the best Marriott properties in the state!”

Bloomington-Normal Marriott Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Normal
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 3 June 2014

My colleague and I had had the occasion to stay at this fabulous hotel this past week while attending a conference. From check-in to check-out everything about this hotel and its services was absolutely flawless! Emily in the concierge lounge was most helpful in giving us dining recommendations and very good casual conversation. She ensured each guest that entered the lounge felt special. She is a prime example of the type of employee that sets this fine hotel apart. A true class act! The housekeeping also noticeably goes above and beyond and the rooms and public spaces were spotless. This is by far the finest mid-size Marriott property I have ever stayed at.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
JeffPritts, General Manager at Bloomington-Normal Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Thank you for the great review. We will be sure to share with Emily's peers your great comments, she is truly an outstanding associate for us.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

I stayed at the Marriott overnight May 25 for a wedding, and was really pleasantly surprised at the room I got. It was one of the nicer rooms I've stayed in over the years, and I've spent twice as much for less. Nicely appointed, beautiful furniture, a really comfortable King bed, and quiet. Can't be beat for $114 a night plus tax.
Add in that hotel staff were politely accommodating on both ends, and it's a lock I'll be back when in the area. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

We do nearly 50 weddings a year and consider these events one of our specialities. Thank you for sharing your trip with all of the TA readers.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

Had a recent business stay - just one night. But having read some reviews was eager to see for myself. The hotel more than exceeded my expectations. As others have stated, the level of training is top-notch. Every interaction with staff was excellent from check in, to staff in the hallway, to room service: always friendly and attentive.

Rooms bigger than I expected ... had a King so that helped. Was not expecting the large window which was great. Not that the view is all that much, but lots, and lots of light. Bed excellent, bathroom large, and totally offers great work space.

Internet is $12.95 plus $4 more if you want enough bandwidth for say Netflix. I know it is odd that non-full service hotel offer free internet, including their sister properties Courtyard hotels. I suspect in the long run, this will also apply. Meanwhile without status, you are stuck paying the price unless you go to the lobby.

By the way: room was spotless. I mention this just to add to the prior discussions about that issue. I went out of my way, including the fridge, to check. Room was immaculate. Also appreciated the microwave and fridge. Oh, and for the coffee, they have the small liquid cream rather than the dry. Room service very fast and decent.

Can't stress enough the great location. 1/2 block to everything. A large CVS is across the street with lots of stuff including snacks, sodas, beer/wine, and surprising, liquor.

Great stay. Would return again for sure.

Room Tip: The higher the room number, the farther away from the rail road tracks.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Sincere thanks for the great review. I am very proud of the culture of our team here, they truly care about what they do and it shows. Thank you for sharing and I hope you come visit us again soon.

Reviewed 17 May 2014

We had a fine overnight stay at this location for an event at ISU. The proximity to the ISU Bone Center is outstanding, and was a short walk in great weather- to avoid paying the parking fee as ISU.
The hotel itself was very clean, with an efficiently run front desk. The dining location was excellent for dinner- great portions, tasty and fairly priced. The breakfast buffet was mediocre, and not worth the $13.95 per adult. The fruits and cheeses at the buffet were not replenished, and we did not receive any drinks until we were nearly done with our meal.
The room was spacious and clean. Pool was indoor- clean- but very chilly. Hot tub was out of service.
Just a thought- for $189 per night, might breakfast be included in our stay? Thought it was odd that there was nothing complimentary about this hotel.

Just a few issues:
1) Parking- It's an $8 fee to utilize the parking for this hotel. To my knowledge, no other Bloomington hotels have this fee.
2) The train is VERY close to this location; we were woken each time the train came through town- several times close to midnight, and again starting at 530am. It was LOUD- and woke us all from a sound sleep, including our child. Patrons should be made aware of this issue- especially when traveling with small children. The train really did cause a poor night of sleep.
3) Walls are very thin; there were many large families at the hotel and they were obviously having a good time. We heard everything.

Room Tip: Request a room furthest away from the train location
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank angelinaD80

Thank you for the kind comments and the details of the items that were not as great. Our new Chef is quickly bringing up the quality of the breakfast buffet and now has oversight of the restaurant team as well. The town is working on making Normal a quite zone so the trains will not bother future guest. The next time you stay if there are noisy neighbors be sure to call the front desk we will send our security team up immediately to make sure you get a good nights rest.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

The rooms are new, clean and a little on the smallish side. The service from everyone we interacted with was excellent. I was a little surprised to pay $8/day for parking in a college town but the parking was convenient. The food was below par for other Marriott properties I have visited. We had some snacks at the bar and breakfast buffet on Saturday morning. Both had us wishing we had eaten elsewhere.

So my recommendation would be to stay here and find a place to eat.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

I appreciate you taking the time to share your visit with other TA members. Our new chef is working on menus and training with the entire F&B team and will have these upgraded to our expectations quickly. The parking garage is the only covered parking in town for a hotel and is leased from the town of Normal, which is why there is a minimal charge for it.

Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

This is a very nice hotel. Everything feels clean and new. When I called to confirm our reservations, I was told as a platinum elite member, they put us on the top floor where the concierge lounge is. Therefore we were surprised to find out that the concierge lounge was closed for the weekend. Why would they mention that we were on the concierge floor if use of it was not available to us for the weekend. They gave us a couple of vouchers for the breakfast buffet. The restaurant is scheduled to open at 7am. We decided upon breakfast at the hotel based on this timeframe. I had to go ask the front desk about the delay when they did not open at 7am because we did not want to be late for our event. The only difference between the breakfast buffet and typical concierge lounge breakfast is the made to order omelets. We were not able to partake in the made to order omelets because the person was not there to make them until 7:25. They would not give vouchers for our 2 children to eat breakfast.

Stayed: May 2014

My apologies that our team did not give you breakfast vouchers for your children as well. On the weekends when the lounge is closed this is what they should have done. They also should have told you about it when you confirmed your reservations. I will address with both teams and make sure they understand the importance of this. Our new Chef as of mid May will also make sure that the other concerns are addressed as well.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

Having an athlete at ISU, we travel to Bloomington Normal a number of times a year for games and visits and have stayed at every Hilton and Marriott property in the area. There is no contest. . .this hotel trumps them all in terms of property and service. On my most recent visit, Jesi was fantastic in helping me to get into my room a few hours early so I was able to get some work done while I was there. The hostess in the concierge lounge was pleasant and clearly took pride in her work. . .so nice to see these days. And the bellmen/valet are just great. I only have a couple of criticisms. . . Housekeeping was adequate, but much below what I have seen in other hotels (I travel quite a bit). I always tip housekeeping and we came back to find pillows still on the floor, bed was made, but rumpled, wrappers still laying around. . .just those things that you would expect to be taken care of in a hotel of this level. In addition we noted that dishes sat in the hall for very long periods of time (usually all day or all night). You would expect someone to be walking the floors periodically to catch that. Also the parking rate is ridiculous for a town this size. Don't bother with the Hiltons in this town. . .stick with the Courtyard or this hotel. . .you will be much happier!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Catherine, thank you for your letter. Housekeeping is usually better than what you experienced and I will be sure to make sure your comments are shared with them. You are also correct that the Room Service trays should be cleaned up more frequently, our new F&B team has this as one of thier top priorities as they can quickly clutter up our hallways.

Jeff P

Also consider these accommodations in or near Normal
Hyatt Place Bloomington - Normal
Doubletree By Hilton Bloomington
Residence Inn Bloomington
Residence Inn Bloomington
#1 of 22 in Bloomington
Radisson Hotel & Conference Center Bloomington - Normal
Hampton Inn & Suites Bloomington-Normal
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Bloomington

Been to Bloomington-Normal Marriott Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!