“Damp and depressing, but pet-friendly” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Motel 6 Bloomington-Normal

Motel 6 Bloomington-Normal
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Normal
Bloomington IL
“Damp and depressing, but pet-friendly”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2009

My first impression of the room was that it was smelly, damp, mildewed, and very very basic. Staying here for 2 days only solidified this impression.

Pros:
-Cheap ($41/night using corporate code)
-Decent location (right off I-55, I-74, & I-39; near lots of restaurants, a grocery store & movie theatre)
-Pet-friendly (allow up to 2 pets per room for no additional charge)

Cons:
-The room stank. If you like the smell of wet carpet and mildew, you'll love this place.
-Everything was suspiciously damp. The fan in the bathroom didn't help with the humidity following a quick shower. Instead, the water just settled into the carpet, the bedding, the towels, and my possessions. After a quick shower, all of the towels on the rack had become saturated and icky. They were still damp 2 days later. You can't even open the window to let some of the moisture out.
-The shower was dirty, with hairs left over from previous customers and mildew all along the bottom of the shower stall. I wish I brought my shower shoes.
-Loud (we could hear EVERYTHING going on in the hallways. All night.)
-No internet access. There is, however, wi-fi available at both Denny's and McDonald's across the street.

Bottom line: I would never ever stay here again. It was revolting. Spend the few extra bucks to stay at the Super 8 or another chain motel. It's not worth feeling like you're going to get herpes from the bedding or athlete's foot from the carpet. Just don't do it.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Chicago, IL
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2009

I stayed at Motel 6 for 2 nights to attend an alumni activity. The room rate was around $80 dollars I believe.

Pros: It was cheap. I (think) they washed the sheets. I didn't see any bugs. The room was pretty big. I lived to tell about it. They accept pets and obnoxious children that run and scream in the hallway.

Cons: They didn't clean up much after the last customers. The shower was discusting. There was long black hair all over the floor in the shower and mold was growing everywhere inside the shower. The carpet didn't look clean so I wore my shoes in everything but the bed. The walls and furniture were pretty scratched up.

I would not stay here again! I have stayed in cleaner rooms for $80 before.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
Memphis, TN
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2007

I stayed at the motel for a couple weeks on business.

I picked it because it was cheap and convenient to the highway.

The major complaints that I have seems to be true of all Motel 6's I've stayed at. The Smell. This one was no exception. It seems that all the motel 6's need to have better ventilation. Kinda like the Holiday Inn hotels that have a vent in the bathroom that is constantly sucking air into them. Maybe if they did this the place would not smell like a locker room or something else it reminded me of....my dorm room in my college days. Kinda smells musty or like smelly socks. Only other complaint is the lack of internet (but I did have my aircard so that wasn't major). I also wish they had more selection on their television. A&E or the history channel would be nice!

The management was friendly...no complaints there. Also what I learned on this trip is that Motel 6 allows you to bring your pets for no charge. So I may actually seek out Motel 6's in the future so I can bring my miniature dachsund on business trips with me.

As for the smell, I left the exhaust fan on (in the bathroom) when I was gone and when I was there I had a scented candle burning. As well as a febreze plug in.

I would recommend the place if you are trying to find something as cheap as possible! Other than that I wouldn't stay there if I was on vacation or something.

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Smell
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled on business
      Check-in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank WesleyS95
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2006

Our check in & check out was speedy; the pool was clean.

But, the room temp was very inconsistent, the fan on the AC was nosiy. We were there for 2 days; the trash had been emptied our 2nd day, but wonder if the hotel owned a vacuum as the hallways were dirty & our room hadn't been vacuumed while we were there.

Had to go downstairs to the ice machines. (there were two next to each other & the one was jammed. The hallways had a very yucky, musty, odor.

Hotel was close to a couple restaurants & convenience stores.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2004

The Motel 6 is a below average motel that sits right along a very busy road (Route 51/Main Street). There are locals that stay in the rooms that are known problems for the local police. They choose this hotel due to its low price. There is an outdoor pool. I would not recommend this hotel for people with young children or people that want a guaranteed quiet night sleep. Police have been called here for people smoking drugs in the room and for underage drinking by teenagers. The hotel is not located in a bad part of town and if you can put up with some of these issues, you are probably pretty safe here.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Normal
Baymont Inn & Suites Normal Bloomington
Candlewood Suites Bloomington-Normal
Hyatt Place Bloomington - Normal
Hampton Inn & Suites Bloomington-Normal
Courtyard Bloomington Normal
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Bloomington-Normal Airport

Been to Motel 6 Bloomington-Normal? Share your experiences!