“Closest to the college and a great place to stay!”

Baymont Inn & Suites Normal Bloomington
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Normal
Crown Point, In
“Closest to the college and a great place to stay!”
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

We came for Special Olympics week-end which also has a softball tournament the same weekend and there was service with a Smile. Great indoor pool and a lobby with ambiance jazz music playing..several tables to dine at for the breakfast which was free..also we ate our pizza lunch There so we didn't mess up the room. Just minutes from the college without all the traffic on Veterans Pwky to deal with. Far enough from the expy ramp so we didn't hear trucks noise but close on the on ramp and a community pool with watersides and kids area just a few stops lights down. Smoking and non smoking available. Four stars because no elevator to the second level and the pool closed at ten and our event ends about ten so no dip after opening ceremony
I have stayed in the Bloomington Normal area for over 25 yrs and this one was memorable because of the nicest staff and guess what they were all male. Stephen took my reservation and Jimmy helped us and another young man with a beard whose name I failed to get. Great experience! Worthit!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dan R, Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Normal Bloomington, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Janine,

We always enjoy having the Special Olympics athletes and families stay with us and this year was no exception- I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us while having some fun over the weekend in Bloomington-Normal. Thank you for your descriptive review as this helps shoppers that are reading the reviews. =) I will be sure to thank my staff members for their helpful, friendly service and again, Thank you for staying with us and leaving us your feedback.

See you next year!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 13 June 2014

The hotel is under new management, and from what I understand, the rooms are in different stages of renovation. The management and staff seem to be very eager to please, so if you aren't happy with something, politely let them know.

Clean - most important quality in a hotel room, right?
Convenient - right at the entrance to Normal (one of them, anyway). I drove back and forth to ISU several times while I was there, in a matter of minutes.
Cheap - 1/3 the rate of other local hotels.

The old a/c wall unit in my first room was *very* loud. Brian, the manager on duty, actually called my room to ask if everything was okay, and when I told him, he had me in a different room, within 5 minutes. The newer unit in the second room was still loud, but tolerable. Set to 'fan', it generated enough white noise to mask the outside traffic, without freezing the room.

The room itself was very dated and worn, but who cares, when the lights are out? For me, the room was just a place to sleep, and it served that purpose very well. Clean bed and sheets, fluffy pillows. I do recommend that the hotel invest in new blankets, ASAP. Mine was worn and paper-thin from years of use, and there was no spare in the dresser. It was the one thing that was hard to ignore, once I turned out the lights (and too tired to call for another blanket).

I didn't partake of the breakfast, since I was in a hurry and I was having breakfast on campus. It looked like it was all packaged items - yogurt, muffins, cereal, etc. There were baskets of apples and bananas, which were also accessible throughout the day.

I could have gone to one of the more expensive hotels in the area, and paid 3x as much. But I figure that all hotel rooms look the same, when you turn out the lights. If you need a hotel in Normal, IL - chances are that your kid goes to college there. You are already spending enough on tuition, books and board. Save money on your hotel room. Go to a game and treat your student to a nice dinner, instead. And they are pet friendly!

I already made another reservation for one of the upcoming busy college weekends. It will probably be my first choice for my future visits to the area, as well, over the next 4 years. And since they probably know who I am by now, ;-) please make sure I have a quieter a/c and extra blankets...

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms closest to the noisy ice machine.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank BasiLisaB
Dan R, Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Normal Bloomington, responded to this review, 14 June 2014
Lisa,

I do remember you and I thank you for leaving us a review and detailed feedback from your stay with us! I enjoyed reading your 3 C's headline and was pleased to hear that you would be keeping your reservation for family weekend in September. I am happy to hear this.
I have replaced the blanket on your bed since reading your review- I am sorry the blanket you had was worn. I will be checking more rooms with my head housekeeper to make sure there are not any other older blankets still being used- as we do have new blankets in housekeeping.
When you stay with us again, you should be pleased with some more improvements made. We are always adding new things, and we will continue to work hard to ensure your impression of the hotel and staff are satisfactory, and as always- providing the BEST VALUE to our guests staying here in Normal.

Thanks again Lisa- see you again soon.
Portage
Reviewed 7 June 2014

This hotel was by far the BEST VALUE for our money! Cheap rooms and they were clean and quiet. Easy on-off to interstate. Inviting lobby and staff was excellent. This will definately be our hotel of choice in the future.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Connie F
Dan R, Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Normal Bloomington, responded to this review, 8 June 2014
Connie,

I'm very pleased to read your review and hear that we have provided a great value and a comfortable stay! My favorite part was reading that you will be staying with us again when your in our area! I'm very happy to hear this and THANK YOU for the nice review! We love having return customers!
Bathurst, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I was driving from Milwaukee to St. Louis for a meeting. It was in a great location to stop for the night, food stores just down the road. Reception was friendly and helpful. The bed was comfortable. The air conditioner was a little noisy. Over all good place to stay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank Kevin B
Dan R, Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Normal Bloomington, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
June 2, 2014

Kevin B,

I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We love having new customers and getting their feedback. Please come back and stay with us again when your in the area!

Schaumburg, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Conveniently located right off the expressway. Fast food and sit down restaurants, grocery store all within walking distance. The hotel was clean. I was dissapointed that there wasn't a refrigerator in the room. Water in the shower in the morning took a while to warm up, and only got to warm, never hot. Didn't like the pillows--mostly just a bag of fluff. Staff was very friendly, and after a long car drive this is a major plus. I would stay here again.

1 Thank Rosemarie R
Dan R, Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Normal Bloomington, responded to this review, 31 May 2014
May 31, 2014,

Rosemarie,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving your feedback- much appreciated. I am sorry you experienced an issue with the shower in your room - I will have my maintenance department look into this. I am sorry it was an issue and it will be addressed as I do not want another customer to have the same problem that you experienced.
I am happy you mentioned you would stay with us again - this is what we want to hear. I also want to make sure your next stay with us is better than the last - Should the pillows upon your next stay with us not be satisfactory for you, please contact my front desk and they would be happy to find some firmer pillows for you, as we do have a closet of extra pillows available.
I am happy our location was convenient for you, and all of us here hope that you will return again! Thank you again for the feedback.
Litchfield, Illinois
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Renovated indoor pool was a plus. Convenient to IL State University. Manager and staff friendly. Breakfast Bar being renovated. Business Center and big screen TV in Lobby. Great meeting room on second floor.

Room Tip: Rooms closest to front parking lot are quieter
2 Thank _mattson2525
Dan R, Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Normal Bloomington, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
May 23, 2014

"urbanguy25",

Thank you for the 5 star review - I am happy you were able to enjoy our recently renovated indoor pool! I hope you will have a chance to stay with us again once the breakfast bar renovation is completed. I know everyone will be pleased once this is complete.

Thanks again!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Normal
Candlewood Suites Bloomington-Normal
Hyatt Place Bloomington - Normal
Bloomington-Normal Marriott Hotel & Conference Center
Hampton Inn & Suites Bloomington-Normal
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Bloomington
Comfort Suites
Comfort Suites
#6 of 11 in Normal

Been to Baymont Inn & Suites Normal Bloomington? Share your experiences!