“Served as a hostel like base camp for a week”

and 1 more site!
Chicago O'Hare Garden Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Norridge
Lisbon, Portugal
“Served as a hostel like base camp for a week”
Reviewed 22 December 2012

This place was an experience. I would not subject my wife to staying here, but for a businessman on the cheap, it served me well. I found it via BetterBiddiing.com to confirm what I was getting into with Hotwire.com. I was concerned about airplane noise, but this was a non-issue. The air-conditioner drowned out any other ambient sounds, including the supposed gunshots and bullet holes in the hallways that other reviewers have noted.

Pluses:

It is a short walk to the metro-train line (buy the 7-day pass at the Dominick's grocery store down the street).

Also, there is free parking. It is much cheaper to park your car and take the train into the city.

If you're into Hooters, there is one right next door. (Not my cup of tea...)

The wireless Internet worked great in the lobby. Every night the place was crawling with guests entertaining themselves on tablets and laptops.

Instead of the Gideon bible, you get the Hinduism equivalent(!).

Minuses:

Be sure to bring sandals. They put some substance on the carpeting everywhere that makes it slippery and kind of gross. I think it must be disinfectant. Reminded me of India... My suitcase, which has wheels, still smelled of the stuff for weeks afterwards. At least it wasn't a disgusting smell...

Bring blinders to cover your eyes as well. the curtains served to block someone's view from outside, but not to keep the morning light out...

All in all, if you're open minded and up for adventure in the Windy City, you might consider staying here out of convenience to transport and need to conserve dinheiro. Just don't come expecting pleasure and accoutrements.

Oh yes, I did not try the breakfast they advertise. I think it is just bad coffee and some weird American instruments of HFCS substances.

Room Tip: Pray, smile and enter with an open mind.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Steven_A_Aranoff

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Leeds, Alabama
Reviewed 16 December 2012

I stayed at this place because it is 10 minutes walk from a station with trains every few minutes to Chicago downtown where I had business meetings all week. The hotel is supposed to have complementary shuttle service to the airport; I waited 3 hrs to be picked up when I landed making numerous calls but no one came - in the the end I had to make my own way there. I had the misfortune of being moved from room to room in order to get a wifi signal and two of these had not been decorated for maybe twenty years. There was a smell of damp/mold everywhere. Needless to say there was no internet access except in the lobby and to add further insult, rude and unhelpful staff.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank andypandy30652

Travellers are raving about these Norridge hotels

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 15 November 2012

I stayed here in early October and it was the worst experience I have ever had at a hotel. The lobby was quite run down and cruddy looking. The hotel van that picked us up was run down and covered with paper signs asking for tips (the van broke down after the first day and couldn't take us to the airport). Their "express breakfast" was a pile of ho-hos in plastic wrap on a platter in the lobby, where sketchy characters hang out like vagabonds, and is the only place to get internet service. The carpeting was bleached, stained and ripped up in some portions. Their were actual holes in the walls, both in the hallways and in the rooms, as if things had been torn off them and never replaced or fixed. The room numbers were drawn on the walls with marker, next to your door (I can't make this stuff up!). The knobs were missing from the cabinet in our room. The phone did not work in our room. The power didn't work in the electronic safe in my brother's room (and you better lock your stuff up good!). The lock to our door was broken and so we needed a repair man to come and electronically open it every time we wanted to get in. We arrived back late at night, could not get into our broken lock room and waited at the front desk for 30 minutes with NOBODY there!!!! We yelled hello, but no answer. As we sat there waiting, tired and just wanting to go to bed, people started to line up behind us with complaints: one room had no water in the shower (seriously!), in another room the TV didn't work, another had no towels. When a man finally came out from the back after 30 mins, he was startled by the crowd. I asked where he had been all this time and he said he was in the BATHROOM -- YUCK! Without apology, he handed me a new key, which did not work on our door, again. When the repairman, yet again walked us to our room to electronically let us in, he said that they were thinking of shutting this hotel down and that's why nothing is being repaired. Oh and the hotel is located right next to a Hooters, which seemed appropriate...I wouldn't stay here if I were you!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Jordan S
Philadelphia
Reviewed 8 November 2012

Where do I begin? Lobby's walls looked like they were slime-encrusted, desk staff was matter-of-fact/shady and said I could pay in cash (which really scared me!), shuttle was a run-down jalopy van with the driver's Chinese food and cigarettes on the front passenger side when I got in, halls and room reeked and they tried to be cover it up by cheap air spray, room numbers written in, no hair dryer, graffiti in desk drawer, blood spatter on lamp shade, holes in walls, halls had holes and knife-blade etchings, hall rugs had what looked like vomit stains......and then they ahd the nerve to say they had breakfast the next morning! I ended up sleeping on top of the mattress with the lights on....Who in their right mind would sample this????? (-0 rating)

Room Tip: -0 on everything, better to stay outside in a tent or car! Or maybe over a steam vent downtown!
Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank Karen P
Queens, New York
Reviewed 1 November 2012

I stayed there 5 nights. What can I say, it' not a luxury place and it seems like they've never updated to a modern design since thy opened and the bathroom shower was not a ran ceiling. Most of the guests were complaining but I don't know what hey expect, I found it to be a really cheap price considering 1) the city whee it's located and the location, 2) the cutomer service is very nice and they responded to all our complains, 3) there's free transportation from and to the hotel to the airport and anywhere within 3 miles, 4) it's not downtown but it's walking distance from the Blue Line train station, and it takes ~30 minutes to get there, 5) it's a quiet neighborhood.
Above all, I believe there are more advantages than cons already... but for real: in a city like Chicago, unless you're with your partner, you don't need to worry about how the hotel looks! I mean... you basically need somewere to stay just to sleep and take a shower and then go back to enjoy th city!! :)

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Panasiviri
Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed 18 October 2012

I paid about $60 a night during the Notre Dame game and Chicago marathon weekend, when most of the other hotels were fully booked. For that value, and its walking distance to the subway station to get to O'hare, I think it was overall a worthwhile experience. It's about an hour by train to downtown Chicago though.

I was initially intimidated by the other negative reviews, and most of the reported concerns were still unfixed at the time of my visit. Cracks on mirror, pen-marked room numbering, etc. But it's overall tidy enough, and its amenities were not worse than above-average hostel. For approximately 2X the price of a hostel, you get your own bathroom, fresh sheets everyday, and a place to put your things, so it's not too bad of a deal at all.

No laundry room in the building unfortunately. Decent restaurants (esp. pizza places within steps of the hotel), and a very large grocery store about a block away if you need anything.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the freeway are a little loud. The ones facing the front of the hotel is quieter becaus...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Belvidere, Illinois
Reviewed 12 October 2012

This hotel was recommended to me and my wife because of their cheap Park & Fly price. We stayed the night and then left our vehicle parked at the hotel during our trip. Upon on our arrival at the hotel, we walked into the hotel and checked in. Check in was easy and the desk clerk answered our questions about when the shuttle went to/from the airport. While checking in, I observed that the lobby was warm and muggy and it was obvious that they did not have the air conditioning on. I thought this was very strange since it was around the middle of June. While walking to our room through the hotel's hallway, it was even hotter and muggier than in the lobby. The hallways were very run down and dirty compared to the many other hotel's I've stayed in.

Upon entering our room, it was still very warm and muggy. I turned on the air conditioner in the room and thankfully it cooled the room down very quickly. Because of the conditions of the hallways, I checked the room and bed very thoroughly to make sure there were no signs of bed bugs or other unwanted critters. I did not find any, but I noticed that the rooms were very spartan, dated, and in need of some major updates. The room looked like it had been cleaned, but not very well. The room's hair dryer in the bathroom would not work and we later discovered that the bathroom power outlet was faulty since my wife's hair dryer would not work in the bathroom either. My wife ended up having to dry her hair via an outlet by the bed. No wifi in the rooms and the TV's were outdated, but did work. Also, the bed linen and cover looked old, but the bed itself was comfortable.

The next morning, we walked into the lobby to take the shuttle to O'hare and we arrived about 15 minutes early before the scheduled departure time. The driver was sitting in the lobby having his morning coffee and upon hearing that we were ready to go, he immediately helped us with our luggage and drove us to the airport. Probably my only concern with the drive to the airport was that the hotel's mini van, which was several years old, had a bad transmission. When ever the driver would slow down for traffic and then speed up, I could hear and feel the transmission slipping. All I could think about was the van dropping its transmission in the on the tollway during rush hour traffic while we were trying to get to the airport

Upon our return from our trip, we called the hotel and they sent a driver to pick us up. We only had to wait about 15-20 minutes for the driver to arrive at the airport. Considering the traffic in and around O'hare, I felt that this was very reasonable. Again, the driver (who was different from the first driver) was also attentive/friendly and helped us with our bags. Same van and same transmission problem on our way back to the hotel. LOL

In short, considering the problems and the condition of the hotel, I would stay somewhere else if I was traveling by car or had to stay for more than one night. The only advantage to this place is the cheap cost of their Park & Fly compared to the surrounding hotels in the area. Also, the area around the hotel did not look or seem run down and I felt comfortable leaving my vehicle in their parking lot. If I ever need to Park & Fly again, I will probably call around and compare prices again as I would prefer a much nicer hotel room. But, if they end up being the cheapest again, I would probably “suck it up” and stay here based only of the price and necessity.

Positives: Price, Room's Air Conditioner, Price, Convenience of Park & Fly, Price

Negatives: Just about everything else.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Norridge
O'Hare
Holiday Inn Chicago O'Hare
Holiday Inn Chicago O'Hare
#138 of 190 in Chicago
O'Hare
Renaissance Chicago O'Hare Suites Hotel
Hyatt Regency O'Hare
#8 of 18 in Rosemont

Been to Chicago O'Hare Garden Hotel? Share your experiences!