“Not that bad”

Chicago O'Hare Garden Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Norridge
Reviewed 15 April 2013

We stayed here for 3 weeks in September. We were worried as we read bad reviews. Our room was fine, large and airy, albeit the hotel is built in the middle of a large freeway but its far enough in, so not too noisy from the traffic point of view and we had our windows open for air at night. Room was clean, very large and the bathroom was fine, all in working order apart from a missing plug, we were offered a rag from reception to use until a plug was located. We didnt have the breakfast, as there was really not much to choose from, just a few cakes. Lots of coffee but not after 11pm. There's a great diner across the street called Mac's, some food they got there, really superb and lots of choice and everyone there is sooo friendly.

The pool unfortnately has seen better days and is now closed down. There's a nice old matress stuffed in there with lots of muddy water. Nice view huh!!

Reception staff very friendly and tried to be helpful. We got a lift from the airport with the hotels shuttle and on rainy days, the guy took us to the subway station.

Location of hotel is very close to subway station, 10 min walk with subways to take you uptown and downtown plus a ton of buses to take you all over Chicago

Room Tip: Ask for room away from Freeway.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank bev c

Reviewed 1 January 2013

My family and I just used this hotel as a quick sleep over prior to a very early a.m. flight out of O'Hare. Luckily we were only at this hotel for less than 12 hours. The staff at this hotel was very polite and professional. We did not have a problem with check-in or getting our transportation to the airport.
Unfortunately the other guests in our section of the hotel lacked any type of respect for other guests. Starting at about 9 p.m. the guests around us were very loud and rude. They were walking down the hall banging on other guests doors, including ours. Their language was not exactly what a small child should hear or anyone else for that matter. I understand this is not the hotels fault but unbelievable how some people act.
I was afraid to leave our room and even feared for our safety while in our room. We did call the front desk and it did quiet down for a short time but then started back up again until after 2 a.m. I will never stay in this hotel again and strongly recommend anyone with small children to avoid.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank NRG2Travel
Reviewed 22 December 2012

This place was an experience. I would not subject my wife to staying here, but for a businessman on the cheap, it served me well. I found it via BetterBiddiing.com to confirm what I was getting into with Hotwire.com. I was concerned about airplane noise, but this was a non-issue. The air-conditioner drowned out any other ambient sounds, including the supposed gunshots and bullet holes in the hallways that other reviewers have noted.

Pluses:

It is a short walk to the metro-train line (buy the 7-day pass at the Dominick's grocery store down the street).

Also, there is free parking. It is much cheaper to park your car and take the train into the city.

If you're into Hooters, there is one right next door. (Not my cup of tea...)

The wireless Internet worked great in the lobby. Every night the place was crawling with guests entertaining themselves on tablets and laptops.

Instead of the Gideon bible, you get the Hinduism equivalent(!).

Minuses:

Be sure to bring sandals. They put some substance on the carpeting everywhere that makes it slippery and kind of gross. I think it must be disinfectant. Reminded me of India... My suitcase, which has wheels, still smelled of the stuff for weeks afterwards. At least it wasn't a disgusting smell...

Bring blinders to cover your eyes as well. the curtains served to block someone's view from outside, but not to keep the morning light out...

All in all, if you're open minded and up for adventure in the Windy City, you might consider staying here out of convenience to transport and need to conserve dinheiro. Just don't come expecting pleasure and accoutrements.

Oh yes, I did not try the breakfast they advertise. I think it is just bad coffee and some weird American instruments of HFCS substances.

Room Tip: Pray, smile and enter with an open mind.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Steven_A_Aranoff
Reviewed 16 December 2012

I stayed at this place because it is 10 minutes walk from a station with trains every few minutes to Chicago downtown where I had business meetings all week. The hotel is supposed to have complementary shuttle service to the airport; I waited 3 hrs to be picked up when I landed making numerous calls but no one came - in the the end I had to make my own way there. I had the misfortune of being moved from room to room in order to get a wifi signal and two of these had not been decorated for maybe twenty years. There was a smell of damp/mold everywhere. Needless to say there was no internet access except in the lobby and to add further insult, rude and unhelpful staff.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank andypandy30652
Reviewed 15 November 2012

I stayed here in early October and it was the worst experience I have ever had at a hotel. The lobby was quite run down and cruddy looking. The hotel van that picked us up was run down and covered with paper signs asking for tips (the van broke down after the first day and couldn't take us to the airport). Their "express breakfast" was a pile of ho-hos in plastic wrap on a platter in the lobby, where sketchy characters hang out like vagabonds, and is the only place to get internet service. The carpeting was bleached, stained and ripped up in some portions. Their were actual holes in the walls, both in the hallways and in the rooms, as if things had been torn off them and never replaced or fixed. The room numbers were drawn on the walls with marker, next to your door (I can't make this stuff up!). The knobs were missing from the cabinet in our room. The phone did not work in our room. The power didn't work in the electronic safe in my brother's room (and you better lock your stuff up good!). The lock to our door was broken and so we needed a repair man to come and electronically open it every time we wanted to get in. We arrived back late at night, could not get into our broken lock room and waited at the front desk for 30 minutes with NOBODY there!!!! We yelled hello, but no answer. As we sat there waiting, tired and just wanting to go to bed, people started to line up behind us with complaints: one room had no water in the shower (seriously!), in another room the TV didn't work, another had no towels. When a man finally came out from the back after 30 mins, he was startled by the crowd. I asked where he had been all this time and he said he was in the BATHROOM -- YUCK! Without apology, he handed me a new key, which did not work on our door, again. When the repairman, yet again walked us to our room to electronically let us in, he said that they were thinking of shutting this hotel down and that's why nothing is being repaired. Oh and the hotel is located right next to a Hooters, which seemed appropriate...I wouldn't stay here if I were you!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Jordan S
Reviewed 8 November 2012

Where do I begin? Lobby's walls looked like they were slime-encrusted, desk staff was matter-of-fact/shady and said I could pay in cash (which really scared me!), shuttle was a run-down jalopy van with the driver's Chinese food and cigarettes on the front passenger side when I got in, halls and room reeked and they tried to be cover it up by cheap air spray, room numbers written in, no hair dryer, graffiti in desk drawer, blood spatter on lamp shade, holes in walls, halls had holes and knife-blade etchings, hall rugs had what looked like vomit stains......and then they ahd the nerve to say they had breakfast the next morning! I ended up sleeping on top of the mattress with the lights on....Who in their right mind would sample this????? (-0 rating)

Room Tip: -0 on everything, better to stay outside in a tent or car! Or maybe over a steam vent downtown!
Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank Karen P
Reviewed 1 November 2012

I stayed there 5 nights. What can I say, it' not a luxury place and it seems like they've never updated to a modern design since thy opened and the bathroom shower was not a ran ceiling. Most of the guests were complaining but I don't know what hey expect, I found it to be a really cheap price considering 1) the city whee it's located and the location, 2) the cutomer service is very nice and they responded to all our complains, 3) there's free transportation from and to the hotel to the airport and anywhere within 3 miles, 4) it's not downtown but it's walking distance from the Blue Line train station, and it takes ~30 minutes to get there, 5) it's a quiet neighborhood.
Above all, I believe there are more advantages than cons already... but for real: in a city like Chicago, unless you're with your partner, you don't need to worry about how the hotel looks! I mean... you basically need somewere to stay just to sleep and take a shower and then go back to enjoy th city!! :)

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Panasiviri
Also consider these accommodations in or near Norridge
O'Hare
Holiday Inn Chicago O'Hare
Holiday Inn Chicago O'Hare
#140 of 192 in Chicago
O'Hare
Renaissance Chicago O'Hare Suites Hotel
Chicago Marriott O'Hare
#111 of 192 in Chicago

Been to Chicago O'Hare Garden Hotel? Share your experiences!