“surprisingly nice”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Northbrook
charleston
“surprisingly nice”
Reviewed 15 September 2011

Very pleasant stay this past weekend with many friends to attend a wedding. Rooms were very stylish, beds comfortable, bathroom amenities very nice. No safe, refrigerator, or fan in the bathroom, Great gym and lounge on the main level. Very quiet location.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
gpatterson04, Director of Sales at Sheraton Chicago Northbrook Hotel, responded to this review, 19 September 2011
Dear JPMF

Thank you for your recent review of the Sheraton Chicago Northbrook. I am so glad to hear from our weekend wedding groups. I think our hotel is the perfect choice for wedding room blocks. With us only having 161 guest rooms, it is a much more intimate setting for relaxing and enjoying your time with friends. Our hotel opened in October 2008 so we are the newest hotel on the NorthShore. As part of the Starwood hotels and resorts family, you can see the style and feel the difference when you stay here. Our safes are located in the back office where you would have 24 hour access and refrigerators are available on request. In terms of our bathroom fans, we have a vent above the shower head in each bathroom which pulls the humid air out of the bathroom. It is all done through a central system and you do not have a switch to control. You don't mention if you were having a humidty issue in the bathroom but I would like to hear so we can make sure the vent is doing it's job. I know as part of a wedding you don't always have a choice of the hotel you are staying at and I'm glad to hear that you were pleased with your stay. If you need to reach me, please call met at -----------. Regards, Geri

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 29 August 2011

The rooms were promptly clean, the iced coffee in the morning was the best part of my morning and the staff was the reason I'll be back. I would expect anyone traveling in this area to at least stop by for a drink with Joe behind the bar! The rooms were very clean, the bed was very comfortable and warm welcomes were offered by Brad and Colin at the front desk. This hotel made my business travel experience great! I think a lot of chains loose the personal touch, not the Sheraton Northbrook. Customer service was exceptional.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
gpatterson04, Director of Sales at Sheraton Chicago Northbrook Hotel, responded to this review, 9 September 2011
Thank you for your review of our hotel and your compliments to our housekeeping, front desk and lounge staff. We have been consistantly ranked in the top 5% of all Sheraton hotels in North America for guest satisfaction which is why we stive so hard not to lose that personal touch you were speaking of. The ice coffee is my favorite also. I hope to meet you on your next trip. Thank you so much and I will ask our General Manager to acknowledge our team members that keep you coming back. Geri
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 22 August 2011

The staff at this hotel went over and beyond. Everything about the hotel is top rated. We had a sick grandchild and the staff helped find a pharmacy at 3:00 am. They provided the transportation. Always service with a smile. I felt the personnel was family.

We have never been treated better at any hotel! I would give it 10 stars!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank huntbroad
gpatterson04, Director of Sales at Sheraton Chicago Northbrook Hotel, responded to this review, 24 August 2011
Thank you for taking the time to tell your story on Tripadvisor. I am very proud of our front office team, they do go above and beyond. Your story is truly what being in this business is all about. Hospitality. Please let me know next time you will be staying with us so I can say hello! I will also share your story with my General Manager and Front Office Manager so they can recognize their team member for their "above and beyond" service. Glad your granddaughter is doing better!
Illinois
Reviewed 17 August 2011

We stayed at this hotel for a wedding of a family friend. I could not have more pleased with the Sheraton Northbrook. Everything from the staff to the condition of the property was everything I would expect from a Sheraton. I have stayed at some Sheraton's that did not live up to the Sheraton name, but this one definately does.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank JimInIllinois
gpatterson04, Director of Sales at Sheraton Chicago Northbrook Hotel, responded to this review, 19 August 2011
Thank you for your recent recommendation. Our team is very good and the weekends are really a true test of how good they are. Our hotel has consistantly ranked in the top 5% of all the Sheraton hotels in North America for guest satisfaction. It's disappointing to me that you did not have this same experience at another Sheraton hotel. I always hope that the brand is consistant in it's standards so that you have the same experience at every hotel. I appreciate you staying with us. I know with wedding group blocks, you don't always have a choice in where you stay and I'm glad you had a great experience. Thank you again. Geri
Bethesda,MD
Reviewed 28 July 2011

It's nice to know that there is a new and modern hotel near our headquarters in the Chicago suburbs. So when I need to go there, I choose this hotel. That doesn't mean much though. My room this time had a "lived in" smell despite the modern brown and blue decor, leather headboard, wood and stainless steel furnishings. Like someone had been staying at the room for a long period and left his body odor (though not a bad odor). Not sure how they would remedy this. I'm pretty sure my linens were fresh. This is why I usually travel with a scented candle most of the time. The bathroom did not have a tub and the requisite bath necessities were present--lotion, shampoo, conditioner, even cotton balls, Q-tips and nail file. A hair dryer (1875 watts) was available and that is appreciated for someone like me with long hair.

They do offer free shuttle to and from nearby offices and restaurants. We did remember to tip the driver/desk clerk. At one time, he agreed to drive us to the nearby grocery store. There is only one restaurant and bar in this hotel. Warning: they serve entree-sized appetizers. Service was quite slow despite a late lunch and no other party being served but our party of 4 at around 1:30 on a weekday. The food quality was so-so, nothing great to write about. Our waitress was attentive, once she got around to serve us.

I do have one incident I experienced at this hotel at one of my past visits: I just checked in and went straight to my room. As I slipped the magnetic card into the slot and turned the door knob, I was shocked to find a woman sitting at the desk (her back facing the entrance) working at her laptop. We were both shocked to see each other and I immediately apologized and left. I quickly went down to complain and got the apology from the desk clerk. I thought they'd make a bigger deal than this.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
gpatterson04, Director of Sales at Sheraton Chicago Northbrook Hotel, responded to this review, 30 July 2011
Thank you for your review. There is a lot going on here. I want to address the issues first. In terms of your room not smelling fresh - please know that if that happens again if you come to the desk and let us know we will take that room out of order and get in there to determine where the smell is coming from or do a deep cleaning of the carpet. There are things that can be done. You shouldn't have to use a candle when you travel to have a fresh room. This is honestly the first time I have heard this and I do want you to know you would be moved if that ever happened again. Also, please know that our bedding package is white so that they are laundered and bleached after each and every guest. For future reservations our king rooms do have shower stalls but tubs are available and if you prefer a tub, let us know and we can accommodate your preference. If you are a Starwood Prefered Guest, a note can be added in your preference section so that all reservations at any Starwood hotel would show you prefer a tub. In terms of walking in on an occupied room, first of all I do apologize for the experience. I can imagine how shocking that would be to both parties. Our system is pretty fool proof so I need to research how that happened. I'm disappointed that you did not feel our front desk was responsive to the situation. Because this does not usually happen, I can only imagine that the desk agent was embarassed and we need to look at training our team on how to handle a situation like that if it ever happens again in the future. Our hotel does only have one restaurant and lounge area due to the size of our hotel (161 rooms). It is a hotel restaurant but I think the food is good and it's definitely a convenience for guests who do not want to leave the hotel. I'm sure you can appreciate the design of the hotel and I would bet your group felt comfortable meeting in the area. At 1:30 pm we may have been down to one server. Not as an excuse but we don't have much business from 1:00 - 4:30 pm so they do have less employees in the kitchen and on the floor. Not knowing the details, we have quite a few groups that use our restaurant to hold "pre-meetings" before they go to the company they are visiting. Our restaurant team tries to be responsive without being too intrusive to conversations that are being held. Due to our location, we have many groups that are holding conversations that we are very discreet about. I will meet with our food and beverage director to discuss your experience, I am sure she will want to review their staffing to accomodate later lunches. Please call me if you need anything during future stays or if you experience any problems. My General Manage is always available as well as myself. If I am not on property the front desk will give you my cell phone number so you can reach me. We appreciate your business and I look forward to meeting you during future stays. Geri Patterson
Northbrook, Illinois
Reviewed 23 July 2011

This was our 3rd time at the Sheraton in Northbrook and as always, the staff were very friendly and helpful. We enjoyed the pool, the 24 hour workout facility, and the wonderful on site restaurant and bar. There are also nearby restaurants and shopping that we could walk to. We loved the awesome views from the large room windows. We sat for an hour last night watching a storm coming in. They have a free laundry room as well. But if I have to mention the one thing that will keep us coming back, it is that the Sheraton has the most comfortable beds and pillows that we have ever slept in.

Room Tip: The 5th (top) floor has free breakfast and great views.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
gpatterson04, Director of Sales at Sheraton Chicago Northbrook Hotel, responded to this review, 25 July 2011
Thank you for your recent review. It sounds like you and your family are enjoying weekend getaways. With so much to do in Northbrook and having Pinstripes in our parking lot, we are the perfect location for a family or couple getaway. I'm glad you took advantage of our indoor pool and fitness center. That's what getaways are all about. With this heat, it's a great way to cool off. I too LOVE our beds. We get alot of comments on how comfortable our beds and bedding packages are. I actually purchased one of our beds for my home. They really are the most comfortable beds to sleep in. We've had a rash of storms in our area and I can only imagine how awesome the lightening display had to be. Nice to be safe inside! You wouldn't think the view from our club level would be as beautiful as it is but with a wall of windows, it really comes alive at night with all the lights. We had many Northbrook residents who lost power during those storms stay with us. As you know our hotel is set back from Willow Road. It always amazes me how quiet our hotel is. You can see traffic on Willow Road but you don't hear a sound. I'm sure you appreciated our restaurant and lounge so you didn't have to leave the hotel. I hope you stay with us again soon. Thank you again for taking the time to give us a review. Geri
Skokie, Illinois
Reviewed 20 July 2011

I have become a huge fan of the Sheraton Brand. This hotel inparticular is a beautiful one. I have stayed many times since they opened in 2008 and every time has been a delight. The desk staff is super friendly. The bar tender was awesome - made nice conversation and had some good suggestions for things to do in that area. I am always pleased by the cleanliness of the rooms and the fact that the housekeeping carts keep clean glasses to replace in each room (I know that sounds like a strange comment, but I have stayed at many hotels where I don't see that and am left wondering... how/when do they replace the drinking glasses???) The beds are AMAZING!!!! I wish I could purchase the mattress and all the bedding for my house. Will definately be back.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
gpatterson04, Director of Sales at Sheraton Chicago Northbrook Hotel, responded to this review, 21 July 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I too have become a big fan of the Sheraton Brand. They are consistantly good where ever you stay! Your comment about the glasses makes me laugh only because I have thought that same thing at every hotel I stay at. Yes, we do bring our guest room glasses to the kitchen and run them through the dishwasher before replacing them in your room. You mentioned the cleanliness of our rooms - our team works hard at making sure your experience exceeds your expectations with each stay. Everytime someone comments on the friendliness of our staff I mention that we have been ranked in the top 10% of all Sheraton hotels in North American for guest satisfaction since we opened in October 2008. I am very proud of this fact and you can see and feel the difference. I love our beds also, and you can purchase the beds and bedding package through our website. If you need help doing that, just let me know. Most of the employess have purchased mattresses because they are so incredibly comfortable! Please come back and stay with us again! Should you ever need anything please feel free to contact me at 847/897-6404.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Northbrook
Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel
Hilton Northbrook
Hilton Northbrook
#1 of 4 in Northbrook
Crowne Plaza Hotel Chicago - Northbrook
Staybridge Suites Glenview
Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago North Shore/Skokie
Courtyard Chicago Glenview/Northbrook

Been to Sheraton Chicago Northbrook Hotel? Share your experiences!