“Solid suburban Sheraton”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Northbrook
Providence
“Solid suburban Sheraton”
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Nothing really remarkable about this Sheraton, except maybe that it's quite new. It isn't huge, I don't think there are any real views (certain my room didn't have one), but the rooms are nice and on the large side, and everything worked. Free wifi is nice. The business center is just some computers in the lobby with a printer, but that worked well for my needs.

I picked the Sheraton because I was arriving in the evening at O'Hare, renting a car and heading to the Northern suburbs. Rather than pay for hotel parking in Rosemont or wait till the morning to rent, I figured I'd stop somewhere inexpensive (with free parking) and convenient. For that purpose the Sheraton did turn out very well.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Crito0
Diana S, Director of Sales at Sheraton Chicago Northbrook Hotel, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
We truly appreciate your time in reviewing the hotel. We are glad that overall you were pleased with the hotel and that it served you well. If there is anything you should need in the future please don't hesitate to let the team know, we are all here to make your experience with us the best it can be. Happy Travels!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Weston, Wisconsin
Reviewed 18 March 2014

For starters, staff were friendly and helpful, the room was very comfortable, and the location was fantastic. But now to go in more depth.

The Area:
I stayed at this location mid March for a physical fitness test the following day at a near by facility, (NIPSTA). Lots of construction in the area made getting here kind of frustrating. There was no construction in the immediate area of the hotel and no construction noise was heard in my room. The area is a very wealthy community. All gated communities actually. Many stores are in the area including Kohls, REI, and many specialty stores. There are many food options, however, most are up scale and not the best on a budget or on the go.

Check In:
There is limited parking by the main entrance of the hotel which was all taken by cars that looked as if they hadn’t moved yet that week so I parked fair distance away but didn’t mind the walk. The lobby was very clean and staff was very helpful and welcoming. Registration went very quick and I was on my way to my room within 5 minutes of walking in the door.

The Room:
I had a single king bed room. A very comfortable bed at that and a very clean room. Plenty of space and a nice TV with a good selection of channels to chose from. A very large desk was also in the room covering the air conditioner and had more than enough space for studying. Room service menu was very limited and as one would expect, pricey.

The Restaurant/Bar:
Since there wasn’t much for good quick food or sports bars around, I ate at the restaurant/bar in the hotel. The bartender recommended the more expensive dish as I would expect, however, it was definitely worth the price. The “Marchand Vin Tenderloin” was fantastic. The bartender was friendly and was very timely with everyone’s food and drink orders.

Pool/Fitness:
Fitness area was great. I didn’t realize until I had been on the elliptical for a few minutes that the wall behind me was glass and everyone in the pool could see the fitness area. The equipment was fairly new and in good condition. Plenty of workout towels were available and music in the fitness area was at a moderate volume. There were plenty of options to work out as well.

The pool was a little different… I didn’t swim in the pool myself, however, I was there when others were swimming and got out very itchy. There were no pool towels on the shelf either time I used the pool and both times I informed staff that there were no towels before I got in hoping there would be some when I got out of the whirlpool. It appeared as though the pool was the last place anyone wanted to clean as well since there were towels all over the deck all the time, piled on tables etc… The whirlpool is small… When the jets are going it was all foam and you couldn’t see the water. I decided to stop using it when I saw the amount of green scum floating around… quite disgusting.

DON’T SHOWER TOO LONG:
After the whirlpool I got in the shower, the bathroom doors are sliding doors that look quite appealing, however, don’t seem to block in much steam. I had been in the shower for maybe 10 minutes when I heard the fire alarm going off. I got out, got dressed and walked into the hall only to realize my alarm was the only one going off. I got a call from the hotel desk asking if there was a fire and I said not in my room. Maintenance showed up and as he walked in the room he said “you shouldn’t have done it man, no long showers.” 10 minutes and still wreaking of whirlpool chemicals is not my idea of a long shower and the attitude was not appreciated. He left after silencing the alarm and getting a new one only to have it go off a second time 20 minutes later. This time I called the desk since they never called me about it and they were laughing about it in the background and told me to turn on my AC… it was 66 degrees in my room in the first place and now you want me to turn my air on? He came up and rolled his eyes at me as he brought a new smoke detector which actually worked and did not go off. Last I checked, the customer is right… so if you stay here, don’t take long showers. If you do, expect the staff to laugh about the situation and not be very helpful about fixing the situation.

Overall:
That problem isolated, it was a very good experience and a hotel that I would stay at again without hesitation.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Dylan O
Diana S, Director of Sales at Sheraton Chicago Northbrook Hotel, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience at the hotel with us. I am happy to see that the majority of your stay was enjoyable. It is regrettable that the end didn't reflect the beginning. We will be utilizing your feedback to train and educate the team on how to best handle these types of situations. Thanks again, we really hope to see you again in the near future!
NY
Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

Was visiting a friend and it was a hotel close to his house. Tons of shopping nearby the hotel if you need anything. The room is large it was clean and the staff was attentive. I paid $120 including tax for the night.

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Mark L
Diana S, Director of Sales at Sheraton Chicago Northbrook Hotel, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
You're feedback is appreciated and we hope that the next time you are in town for a visit you stop in to see us again. Safe Travels!
FFSC
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Good business Hotel, got it on sale for the weekend. Room clean and in decent shape, comfortable bed. Since we obviously were family and the hotel was fairly empty - we would have appreciated two queens or doubles instead of one king, but check in didn't care to ask (so didn't we I've to admit) and eventually we were way,way too tired to bother.
Otherwise no complaints - I recommend it.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Thanks so much for your feedback we appreciate your selection of the Sheraton, when you return to the area please just let us know what you need. We are more than happy to provide you with a more appropriate room to accommodate your family. We truly hope you will give us another try.
United States
Reviewed 24 February 2014

We stayed here on a Friday and Saturday night and had a really good experience. The room was nice and clean. We slept great and it was very quiet. We didn't have alot of interaction with the staff, but when we checked in they were friendly and efficient. We would come back again.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank travelchiks
We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We truly try to make all our guests comfortable starting with the warm inviting fire as you enter the lobby and the soothing colors and comfortable rooms. We hope you stay with us again in the near future!
Florida, USA
Reviewed 22 February 2014

We had recently stayed at a Hyatt in Deerfield Illinois which is a 3.5 star hotel. So when we needed a hotel last weekend we decided to stay at this 4 star hotel in Northbrook nearby.

We were disappointed at the ordinariness of this hotel. The rooms layout looked like an upgraded version of a motel room. There were no extras - no room safe, no mini refrigerator, no microwave, no living area.

The location is a plus with numerous restaurants and shopping nearby and it has an easy access to highways. Otherwise quite soulless

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank AJFlorida
Thanks so much for taking the time to review our hotel. We understand that we may not be the appropriate fit for all our guests but will utilize your feedback to improve our hotel and its operations. We thank you for selecting us and do hope to see you again in the near future.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

I have stayed here a couple of times and the experiences have always been on the poor side. This stay I had to change rooms so much I had 3 rooms in 2 nights!

The first room I was given when I checked in smelled of raw sewage. There was something wrong with the plumbing. I went to see reception and they had a look and moved me to a second room. I was tired and went to bed straight away but woke up very cold. This was during one of the cold spells in Chicago and the heating was broken. It was well below freezing outside!

I told reception on the way out for the day and asked them to get maintenance to fix it. On my return at the end of the day the heating was still broken and the room was freezing. I was moved to my third room down the hall. They gave me some SPG points for my trouble. The coffee machine in this room was also broken but I had got bored of talking to the front desk so didn't bother complaining at this point - I was happy there was heat and the room was free of sewage smell.

I complained to the front desk and asked to speak to the manager, Wolfgang, when he was back in. On speaking with Wolfgang, he took my comments and wanted to check out the issues, understandably, but was not particularly apologetic.

On return to the hotel Wolfgang had already left for the day and the front desk told me they had changed the coffee machine and gave me a run down of the fixes to issues in the other rooms. Again not particularly apologetic. I was more about interested about what Sheraton was going to do for me as a customer rather than the maintenance log on previous rooms. Wolfgang had tried to call me in the day (once) and maybe this was my apology from Sheraton, but otherwise the response to 3 rooms in 2 nights was fairly disappointing for what you expect as a customer focused hotel chain.

Maintenance and customer service need some work here. My ratings are never usually in this low and detailed, as can be seen from my other reviews, but this is deserving.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank j e
Diana S, Director of Sales at Sheraton Chicago Northbrook Hotel, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to express your displeasure with the hotel. Your experience with the property truly is not the kind of experience we want our customers to have and is more than regrettable. I can assure you we will look into the challenges you experienced and each one will be addressed. Again my apologies and I certainly hope we have another opportunity to host you in the near future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Northbrook
Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel
Hilton Northbrook
Hilton Northbrook
#1 of 4 in Northbrook
Staybridge Suites Glenview
Embassy Suites North Shore / Deerfield
Crowne Plaza Hotel Chicago - Northbrook
Residence Inn Chicago Wilmette

Been to Sheraton Chicago Northbrook Hotel? Share your experiences!