“Wonderful business property”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Northbrook
Avon, Indiana
“Wonderful business property”
Reviewed 9 July 2012

I travel to my company's office in Northbrook on a regular basis. I stayed at the Courtyard down the road for the first few times, then switched to the Renaissance. It's night and day difference in every detail.
The hotel is finishing up remodeling on the inside, so don't let the dated exterior fool you. The rooms are not large, but adequate in size and the details make up for it . . . nice linens, Aveda shower products, and the best concierge lounge I've experienced. For frequent travelers and especially Marriott elite members, you will recognize this lounge as being one of the better ones. The staff is what puts it over the top. The food service is always good, with fresh fruit that is amazing . . . pineapple, strawberries, melon for both the breakfast and evening service.
The exercise facility gets quite a bit of use, so it's nice to have multiple treadmills and other various cardio equipment to choose from.
Good hotel, great staff.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Rik B, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel, responded to this review, 5 August 2012
Dear amylister,
I greatly appreciate your kind words about our hotel, especially from a frequent traveler such as yourself. I agree with you regarding our Concierge Club, it is a nice space for our Marriott Rewards members to relax and I am fortunate to have some great staff eager to take care of you.
Thank you and I hope to meet you on your next stay with us.
All my best,
Rik Blyth

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 7 July 2012

As we are completing our stay, the hotel seems to be a couple weeks away from completing its renovation. Our completed room was well decorated and comfortable. All the staff we encountered provided impeccable service. The breakfast buffet was complete and excellent, with great fresh strawberries and ripe melon. Ok, maybe the waiter could have cut down on his coffee intake a little, but that's nit picking. We had a great stay here and were able to get a decent rate.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Dear SofiaJoe,
Thank you for letting us know about your recent stay with us. I was happy to hear that our renovations (now completed!) were not an inconvenience and that our staff "provided impeccable service".
I hope you are able to return and see our new restaurant and bar.
tennessee
Reviewed 25 June 2012

Went to a wedding at this hotel last weekend. Room key didnt work when I checked in, had to walk all the way back to front desk, that happens sometimes, no big deal. There was some light construction inside, not a big deal. The hallways were at least 85 degrees and quite stuffy, not air conditioned for some reason. The room was somewhat small, but comfortable, and a great bed. The walls are super thin and I can tell you what the person next door is doing without any difficulty. I would rate this as 3 stars at best. It wasnt bad, i would call it borderline good, I would stay again because of convenience.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel, responded to this review, 4 July 2012
Dear idocgu,
Thank you for sharing your impressions of your recent stay, I regret that we disappointed you. It was a particularly warm few days and unfortunately, our A/C system for the South tower corridors was not working properly. That has now been addressed.
It is possible that your room had a connecting door that was missing the extra insulation insert, that sometimes allows noise from the adjoining room to penetrate. It is not normally an issue in non-connecting rooms.
I do hope you give us another chance to provide a better experience, please contact me personally if you plan a return trip to the area.
Best regards,
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed 23 June 2012

I was very disappointed with my overall stay and wanted to list out all the issues. I was traveling with my husband and infant who requires a crib:
1) called the hotel 3 days prior to my arrival to confirm they had cribs on site and there would not be an issue.
2) arrived at hotel- bellman was standing around and did not offer to assist. Frustrating when you are holding a baby, carseat, suitcase and bags.
3) checked in and confirmed (2nd time) there was a crib available.
4) I arrived in the room (old and very small bathroom) and there was a very old pack and play - I believe some guest must of left it.
5) I called down to the desk and inquired about this old pack and play. That was the crib apparently. That's all we have .. All hotels are using them ..Wrong - we just returned from Cosmo in Vegas and received a crib and that's Vegas. In addition , I work in the hotel industry and this is not common since pack and plays are made for home use and not sanitary. a manager was supposed to return my call and never bothered.
6) next day we left the room at 10 and returned at 415 - I was shocked to discover our room was never cleaned. My husband called this time- and no me came to clean. After 30 mins I called again and was told Someone would come up. I also ask when a manager never called - the response - they are just too busy!
7) the tv media is very poor - we rented on demand PBS and Disney and could barely see the picture.. Horrible especially for 9.99 each.

I need to let the others mothers know not to stay here.. So disappointed !! Sad

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the highway
Dear Michelle b,
Thank you for taking the time to post your experience while staying with us. I apologize for our failures in providing you with a comfortable stay. Especially when traveling with an infant it is important to have some understanding and assistance from hotel staff; it appears that we failed you on both counts. I have shared your experience with my team and we have discussed how this could have been prevented.
Although we are primarily a business hotel during the week, we are fortunate to welcome many families on weekends and have not had issues like this in the past. I do hope that you give us another opportunity to provide a more pleasant experience if you are again in this area. Please contact me at that time and I'll make special arrangements for you.
Reviewed 19 June 2012

I had a business meeting in northbrook and had the opportunity to stay at the Renaissance hotel. Boy am I glad I did. My day didn't start off on the right foot. I swear my clients had it out for me. My day continued to get worse. Swords the end of the night I really needed to let off some steam and have a drink so I went downstairs to the bar. I was greeted by a warm smile by the name of Samantha. We began talking about my day and how everything went wrong. She assured me that it was ok and to not duel on it as I can not change anything at that point. So I didn't, and I really enjoyed the rest of my night laughing and joking with Samantha. I will be returning to the hotel in the future and that's mainly because if how I was treated at the end of my night. Thank you Samantha

• Stayed June 2012
Dear TravelingPants11,
Thank you! What a great story about Samantha, who is truly one of a kind and has many fans amongst our regular guests. I was very pleased to hear that she made a rough day end well for you!
I look forward to welcoming you back, and you will be able to join Samantha in Pancetta, our brand new lobby bar and restaurant, opening later this month...
Best regards,
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 18 June 2012

We stayed at the Renaissance North Shore from 6/14/- 6/17 during our daughters Northwestern University graduation. Evanston and Skokie have a very limited number of decent hotel rooms, so when we booked in February, this was the best option in iieu of heading into the city.

Renovation work was in progress in both the lobby area and restaurant/bar, so we did not have a chance to sample those aspects of the property.

The room was clean had more than enough room. Even though the hotel is located next to the Eden's Expressway, noise from the highway was not an issue. The bathroom is small, very small, but clean. I like the fact that they used Euro comforters that can easily be cleaned with each new guest. That was a plus.

On Saturday night, a wedding party crashed down the hall and plunked themselves next to our room at about 1:40am. We gave them some time to quiet down, but they did not, so we called the front desk. The hotel staff attempted to quiet the party, to no avail, and before long the local police took care of the issue. The party disbanded and quiet returned.

Credit the hotel staff for quickly and safely resolving this issue.

Overall, while I would prefer to stay closer to Evanston, I would return to this hotel without any reservations.

Dear Bobaloo071,
I am pleased to learn that Evanston's loss was our gain! We were fortunate to have a good number of families staying with us during the Northwestern Commencement weekend, congratulations on your daughter's (and your's) achievement!
Thank you for relating the incident with the rowdy wedding party, that happens very infrequently, but I did commend my overnight staff for handling it promptly and correctly. It was also good to hear that the nearby Eden's Freeway, which made it so convenient for you to reach Evanston quickly, did not disturb your nightly rest.
I do hope you can return to sample our new menu offerings when our restaurant reopens later this month.
All my best,
Gresham, Oregon
Reviewed 11 June 2012

Although they were undergoing renovations, the newly decorated rooms were considerably less than average. Very noisy no matter what room, as we had three. Freeway on one side, where the noise sounded like the window was open. I'm guessing old glass on those windows. It was a pretty old place. Just didn't seem to match their name: "Renaissance."

Room Tip: Find another hotel in the area
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank thelion44
Dear thelion44,
Please accept my apologies for our failure to provide a comfortable stay. Although we have been fortunate to receive many compliments for our newly renovated rooms and lobby area, I do know that it is impossible to be all things to all people.
There are some rooms where the background sounds are more noticeable than others, however, I have not found it to be any more invasive than the sound of a ceiling fan or A/C unit that might be running in a home bedroom. Very rarely do you hear sirens or honking vehicles as you would in a downtown location. Our westward facing rooms are particularly quiet and it is possible to request those, if sensitive to nightime noises.
Thank you for taking the time to share your observations and I do hope you give us another try.
Rik Blyth
Also consider these accommodations in or near Northbrook
Hilton Northbrook
Near North Side
The Langham, Chicago
The Langham, Chicago
#2 of 190 in Chicago

Been to Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel? Share your experiences!