“No complaints at this Hotel! Would Stay Again! Great Staff!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel

Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Northbrook
Carmel, Indiana
“No complaints at this Hotel! Would Stay Again! Great Staff!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2013

This is the second time I have stayed at this Renaissance Hotel, both times for 2 nights during the week. Both times the rooms were very clean, great restaurant (plus a Ruths Chris on site), and especially courteous and very helpful staff. Lobby bar had live entertainer each night that was great! Really enjoyed sitting the bar area. Breakfast buffet was pretty good (although I have had better offerings at other Renaissance Hotels like Smoked Salmon, etc.) but it certainly was nice. Rooms very clean and updated. Certainly will stay here again!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Rik B, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel, responded to this review, 2 September 2013
Dear Jobo59,
Thank you! I especially appreciate that this is the 2nd time you have chosen to stay with us, and that we continue to earn your future business! We try to provide an alternative to many suburban hotels by offering live music and great dining options, I am pleased to see that you enjoyed both...
Hope to see you again soon,
Rik Blyth

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

This is your typical large chain hotel trying to masquerade as a hip, trendy boutique hotel, which, of course, it could never be. Housed in an ugly building which appears to have been constructed in the 70's, the public spaces (reception, restaurant, lobby) are done up in a designer glam style with purples as the dominant color scheme. The rooms are quite a bit more boring, although they seem to have been recently refreshed with a smidgen of style. The most striking feature of the room and the bathroom is the VERY low ceiling.

We got the deal with the breakfast buffet for only a few dollars more for the whole family (2 adults, 2 children) and were glad we did. It was definitely well above average for a hotel breakfast buffet, with a good variety of hot items, such as eggs benedict, breakfast burritos, cheese blintzes, pancakes, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, French toast, plus cold items such as yogurt, lots of fresh fruit, cereals, pastries, and breads. Coffee, juices, and milk were also included. All of this adds good value to the very reasonable room rate.

We stayed on a weekend in July where many events were going on in the Chicago area, so all of the other comparable hotels I looked into were either booked or had rates twice as high as this one. Several groups were staying here, which probably happens often. Our room, however, did not get a lot of outside noise. Service was competent, but not overly impressive.

All in all, a good value for this area when you factor in the breakfast and the free parking; just don't expect more than your typical large chain hotel making an attempt at having some personality.

Room Tip: No particularly nice view on any side.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Dear born2travel555,
While I'm not convinced the exterior of a building plays any part in a guest's experience regarding the service they receive or the quality of the amenities provided, I do appreciate the thorough review of your recent stay. I was pleased to note that our restaurant, location and parking were recognized as a good value and I thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2013

Great bar area. Great breakfast. Great nearby restaurants covering family chain to top end famous steak restaurant. Conference facilities were also adequate. I even got the hotel shuttle to the train station and caught the train to Central Chicago.

Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Dear pmcc1968,
I was very happy to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your recent stay with us! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and I hope to welcome you back in the future...
Regards,
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

Live in the city but went to a concert at Ravinia and didn't want the hassel of driving back and forth so we booked a room here for the night. The front desk staff was extremely professional while checking us in. They have a shuttle bus that takes you to and from Ravinia. The driver was awesome. We visited the bar in the lobby and the bartender was so friendly and accomodating. The room we reserved was a upgraded corner room - I def suggest this room. It's got a lot of extra space and the little dining table was appreciated when we ordered room service for breakfast. In room dining was very flexible when we called to reschedule our breakfast delivery time an hour early. Late checkout wasn't an issue at all. Overall, very satisfied with our experience. The only reason I couldn't give it 5 stars all the way across the board was our hallway always had trash in it. But that isn't a big enough reason for us not to return. We'll be back.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Lisa H,
You have joined many other Chicagoans in discovering how much easier it is to stay with us and attend the great Ravinia concerts! It sure beats driving home late at night...
Thank you so much for your positive feedback regarding our service and facilities, I will be sure to share your thoughts with all of our team members!
Best regards,
Iowa, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2013

My husband enjoyed our 1 night stay on 8.10. We were in the area to attend a concert at Ravinia Park and this hotel was a great choice. Very clean and our room was quiet and comfortable. We enjoyed having drinks at the bar. We found all of the staff very friendly and helpful. I would recommend to my friends.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Christine F,
Thank you for your nice comments! I wish you would have been able to stay a little longer than one night, and hope you return for many more Ravinia concerts in the future!
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2013

Trendy hotel with a nice bar/lounge area that offered some privacy for our small group along with some entertainment. We weren't really impressed with the hotel restaurant, should have gone to Ruth's Chris Steakhouse which is also there. The room was a little on the tight side, especially the bathroom which had no vent which was an inconveinance. The bed was comfortable, room was quiet. Concereige lounge was typical, Robert was an outstanding host, very friendly and not afraid to engage us in conversation. Front desk staff was responsive to our needs and very friendly.

Room Tip: One side of the hotel does face a busy Interstate, may want to avoid that.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Rik B, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel, responded to this review, 12 August 2013
Dear Jim N,
Thank you for your recognition of Robert and the Front Desk staff for providing you with friendly and responsive service.
I'm also happy to see you enjoyed our RLounge for some cocktails and entertainment, but disappointed that the Pancetta restaurant did not meet your expectations. We are rolling out a new menu soon, I hope you return to give us another try!
Flushing, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2013

As a frequent, single, traveler I really appreciate the Marriott hotels with the Club Floor if I am able to get there in time for a light dinner and a drink. Here at the Renaissance it was wonderful. The food was better than most other Marriott's and in particular Robert was an OUTSTANDING host. The woman who was in there in the mornings (sorry, didn't get her name) was super nice and attentive as well. Top notch!!!

Overall the hotel is very nice and the decor is very hip. The hotel bar/restaurant was very nice, and the entertainment was outstanding. The room was pretty average, but overall for the price, it was an outstanding value. I will definitely return to this hotel!

Room Tip: I was only on the 2nd floor, near the elevators, and even though I could hear sound from the restaur...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Dear JADTraveler,
I appreciate that you took the time to single out Robert and Elizabeth, who make our Club Lounge one of the Top 10 in all Renaissance properties! I will be sure to pass on your compliments to them.
Most importantly, you are planning to return and that is the best recommendation I can ask for!
Thank you...
Rik Blyth
Also consider these accommodations in or near Northbrook
Hilton Northbrook
Hilton Northbrook
#1 of 4 in Northbrook
Sheraton Chicago Northbrook Hotel
Embassy Suites North Shore / Deerfield
Courtyard Chicago Highland Park/Northbrook
The Westin Chicago North Shore
Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago North Shore/Skokie

Been to Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel? Share your experiences!