“Very nice hotel , quite a bit outside of Ohare and Downtown”

Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Northbrook
Riverside, California
“Very nice hotel , quite a bit outside of Ohare and Downtown”
Reviewed 2 December 2013

If he location suits , and you have a car to get around in , this is a very nice hotel. Very slightly too ultra-modern for my taste but only slightly. Beds are very comfortable and rooms very clean. Rom service was personable , fast and accurate. Having an Enterprise Rentacar on site was a handy bonus.

Room Tip: Def ask for larger room if available . They are much more comfortable and spacious .
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Rik B, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Dear xpat46,
I was very happy to read that you discovered us on the North side of Chicago! Although we are outside the city, one of the benefits is not having to pay for parking, which can easily exceed $40 per night downtown... From our location it is very easy to reach both the airport and the city via rail or taxi.
Thank you for your kind comments about our service and facilities and I hope you are able to return in the future!
Best regards,
Rik Blyth

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
London
Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for two nights to attend a funeral. On the good side, reception staff were efficient, helpful and friendly. My room was spacious with all the necessary equipment etc. I needed to go to a drug store Sunday evening and the staff kindly arranged a courtesy car to take me! which was very helpful.
However, I ordered room service breakfast on my first morning and it just did not appear. After two calls to room service I told them it was too late. As a consequence I attended the funeral of a dear friend on an empty stomach.
My room was not cleaned well. The trash had not been emptied, which is a pretty basic problem.
I used the pool but there were no changing facilities or shower facilities so I guess the idea was that showering and changing was to be done in the room. A robe would have been a thoughtful addition... I ended up wearing clothes over my wet costume to get back to the room.
So, all in all, not a great stay. Could do better.

Stayed November 2013
Dear LondonLulabelle,
Please accept my apologies for disappointing you in several aspects of your recent stay. This is most unusual, and I immediately reviewed your comments with my team. It appears that we had a sick call from our early AM room service staff member and that caused a back log of orders for the remaining waiter. I did hear from the manager of that area that she was able to accomodate you with some food items to go, once you contacted her, but the error should not have occurred in the first place.
Your other observations have been noted and we'll work towards improving these area in the future.
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.
All my best,
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Recently stayed at the updated (Sheraton) North Shore Hotel. The colors and design are a bit over done on the flashy side. But, the service and rooms are more than above average. The rooms are furnished with all the creature comforts ( down comforters, hi-tech baths, docking/radio stations, flat screen tis,etc) and loads of SPACE! Space for luggage, packages, showers,closets, desk, ironing board and bed. The bar area of the hotel is really innovative with small "cubbie" area for quiet conversations/drinks, voluminous draping that knocks down lobby noise without heavy draperies.The lighting is understated; soothing and colorful, yet allows one to actually read papers,documents and menus. The front desk is manned by well trained, congenial and professional staff. The location is perfect for travel to the expressways to downtown Chicago, shopping ( and a Red Door Salon, too, in the local shopping mall), restaurants, Botanical Garden, or area suburbs. This is an upscale hotel that boasts a Ruth Chris's Steakhouse on premises. There seems to be a shuttle service available, though we did not use it. There was plenty of parking even though there were at least 2 events scheduled the weekend that we visited. All in all highly recommend this hotel. Rates vary due to seasons and discount sites on the web…got for it…it was worth the trip.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear BooCoastalCarolinas,
Thank you very much for your thorough and positive review of our hotel! I was pleased to read that you noticed and enjoyed the results of our recent renovations of the bar and restaurant areas. We've continued to get great comments about the decor, although you're right, it is a bit "flashy" for the suburbs!
I also appreciate that you mentioned the front desk staff, they have really embraced a service mentality and our guests are reaping the results.
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Great staff and very clean. But it's the little things. Restaurant was ill-prepared for a lunch rush. When you have 150 people for a conference and lunch is not included and there are no restaurants around, you have to be better prepared.

Also, fitness center was okay but 78 degrees is ridiculous. Have the temperature controlled properly.

It's the little things that go from okay to very good, or even great.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Rik B, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
Dear theprovident,
Thank you for your observations and suggestions! I remember well the day that you refer to, we were told beforehand by the event organizer that his 90 attendees "never" ate in the hotel, and they would most likely go across the street to Barnaby's Pizza parlor... they didn't, and we were under-staffed. My sincere apologies for that.
I hope you give us another opportunity to win you over the next time you are in the area.
Regards,
Potomac, MD
Reviewed 27 October 2013

I agree with some of the other reviewers. I read the reviews before our stay, called the hotel and requested a high floor, corner room and quiet. No guarantees of course, be we ended up on the 10th floor. Rooms on the 9th and 10th floor are a bit larger and may have newer furnishings. (not sure about this). It was very nice.

Gym was very good. Nice equipment. However they are missing free weights - 15lb, 8 lb etc. They have other free weights. Shuttle service was easy and convenient. There is an indoor pool, nothing fancy but it is there.

This hotel was built in the 70s. Some may say it is dated, I thought it was fun and funky!

Room Tip: Try to get on the 9th or 10th floor or get a corner room.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank marleneGPotomac_MD
Dear marleneGPotoma_MD,
Fun and funky! Thanks, I like that description a lot! We also hear "whimsical and quirky decor" quite a bit, so you are in good company...
Thank you so much for recognizing our staff, they are truly what makes the difference for us. I do hope you are able to return in the future, and I promise we'll have all the free weights back in the fitness center!
Best regards,
Amsterdam
Reviewed 25 October 2013 via mobile

I agree with the previous review that this hotel needs help but it has the potential for a great stay.

The hotel was very busy but check in was good. However, the first room I was appointed to was dreadful: flies in the curtains, curtains could not open nor close, the hallway smelled and the overall impression of the room was poor.
Ivan did a great job in making sure I got a room in which I felt myself more comfortable. But even being in a junior suite alike room, for me this is where this hotel needs the most improvement. The bed sleeps comfortable but the rest of the interior is outdated. The bathroom is very small. My advice is to take out the bathtub as this tub is not really suitable for taking a bath anyway and replace it with a more modern walk in shower. The room is not sound proof at all: you hear the doors slamming of the neighbors continuously. This point is always important to me as you mostly come for a good night sleep being a business traveler.
One other good thing I need to mention about the room is the amount of electricity outlets, well done. Also wifi speed is good.
Parking can be problematic at night: being a lady alone on business travel it would be good to have dedicated lady parking spots to increase safety feeling.
Minor other areas of improvement are the elevators: one of the elevators was more an elevator for housekeeping rather than for guests. Also, there was a lot of dirt and room service plates on the hallway when I checked in.
The business lounge is good, especially the lady Elisabeth, she truly provides customer service.
When I checked out I got help from the doorman, very friendly.
End conclusion: the staff is great: all encounters I had with them were positive, this is one of the most important assets being a hospitality provider. My recommendation is really on the hardware of this hotel. If they are able to change this it will be a very good 5 star rated hotel.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear Database M,
Although your first impression of us was not good, I am delighted that Ivan, Elizabeth and others on our staff were able to save the day!
We are indeed aggressively working to get some of the building issues you mentioned taken care of. The elevators are scheduled to undergo a complete mechanical update very soon and we hope to focus on solutions to the bathrooms as well.
In the meantime, I do hope you give us another opportunity and stay with us next time you are in the area. I would be happy to assist in making those arrangements.
All my best,
Utica, New York
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Having stayed at hotels around the world you get used to overlooking certain things ... But
1) Hot water is expected to be hot not Luke warm for showers. I felt like I was at home each shower, wondering if I would get through the entire thing with hot water. Oh and when the staff leaves "products" to use ... They should always be fresh, not some recycled partials from other visits.
2) if you have 3 elevators they need to all be working. If one is down, call the repair person... When 2 are down and the 3rd is acting up that is a problem worth getting more then hotel staff working on it. I heard a family with a young daughter describe being stuck in one of them for some time ...
3) pools are great, taking the time to make sure the chemical balance is correct is as important as opening the door. The smell of chlorine from the hot tub is so bad my son was not able to even be in the pool in the same room!
4) basic room maintenance needs to be looked over regularly. Our room had a door to a cabinet falling off when we arrived. I was able to fix it temporarily but that honeydoo list stuff is supposed to occur at home not at someone's investment property.

So the good stuff is staff related. They were not only knowledgeable but friendly. Their willingness to offer assistance made you feel like you were a member of the family. It is for this reason I would give the hotel another chance to rectify the challenges above and revisit in the future ...

Room Tip: From what I have heard the South Tower must be better then the North Tower ... maybe you will have b...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Dear Ima N,
Thank you for your thorough and constructive review.
You are correct, with this hotel being over 40 years old, there are a few infrastructure related issues that crop up from time to time. The good news is that significant renovation dollars have been committed on fixing these issues for good, with new boilers installed and work on our elevators starting soon.
In the meantime, we do make every effort to satisfy any guests who experience any inconvenience. I appreciate that you recognized our excellent staff service and that you would return when in the area. If I can be of any personal assistance at that time, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Regards,
Rik Blyth
Also consider these accommodations in or near Northbrook
Hilton Northbrook
Downtown / The Loop
Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel
Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel
#22 of 190 in Chicago

Been to Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel? Share your experiences!