Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel
US$99
US$182
  • Pool
Priceline
All reviewsruth's chris steakhousenorth shorefront desk staffpancettathe concierge loungebotanical gardensfree parkingnice hotelnorthwestern universitysmall bathroomon premiseslobby areabreakfast buffetnight's sleepfamily eventmini fridgeshuttle service
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Nice lobby, cool lights upon entry and hip decor.
Rooms are large and the a/c works great- had to shut it down as it actually got too cold! Clean and all amenities in bathroom were fine.
Concierge lounge on the 9th floor was terrific- great view and plenty of space to work.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Rik B, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Dear SFLMom,
I just had to laugh when I read your compliments about our "cool and hip decor"! It seems our guests either love it or hate it, which, in my opinion, is better than not noticing it because it is nondescript and bland, like a few other places I can think of...
Be that as it may, I was happy to see that you enjoyed your stay and our hotel provided everything you needed during your time with us.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Best regards,

Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed one night for a wedding nearby. The hotel was clean, had ample parking, and the bed was super comfortable. The front desk staff was friendly but not very effective. We were told we had to wait for a room to be cleaned and for a crib to be brought in. An hour later we were told our room was ready. We were in a room across the hall from ours and I know that no housecleaning personnel entered the room during that hour and the room was ready the whole time. We also never got a crib. I'd stay here again, though.

• Stayed: July 2014

Dear kjbadg,
Please accept my apologies for the delay in preparing your room, and the failure to fulfill your request for a crib. It certainly sounds like a communication breakdown and I'll discuss this with my Front Desk team.
In spite of this inconvenience, you mention that you would stay with us again... Please contact me directly if you plan another trip, I'd like to do something to make up for this recent experience.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

The hotel was beautiful! Looked like an average hotel from the outside, plenty of parking. Upon walking into the hotel, WOW!! The lobby was hip, cool, unique and beautifuly furnished. Great wall art. Not what I expected at all! Loved it!

Upon entering into the guest room, standard looking room, two queen beds, desk, chair and side table. Small bathroom, if a heavier person were to go into the bathroom, they would have to go all the way to the wall, before they could shut the door. It was tiny, however, shower head was great and provided plenty of towels.

Bed furnishing looked lovely with a duvet. However, once lying down on the beds, I thought I was in heaven! The beds were so very comfortable. Even my children 12,10,7 years old - commented how good they slept and how comfy the beds were!

We used the pool area. Small - and not so deep pool. Usually hotel pools aren't deeper than 5' - this one was 4'5" - and the whirlpool was very small. Only 2-3 adults would be able to fit comfortably - but their feet would be touching each other. They had nice lounge chairs and a even had a sunning deck outsite. There was a ping pong table and they provided the towels in the pool area. The only awkward thing about the pool - is getting there. If you don't bring a cover-up, you either walk near the lobby and down some stairs near the offices. Or you go down to the lowest level, where the conference rooms are. But in the event a conference is going on - there you are - with your swimsuit on. So just a little awkward on your way to the pool!

We stayed three nights - so each and every night - we all looked forward to the beds!

Room Tip: We were right to the side of the elevators - a little noisy ice machine traffic and ice machine noise in general, but It didn't bother me.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Laura G

Dear Laura G,
Thank you for your kind comments about your room, our lobby decor, and especially our pillow top beds! You are spot on regarding the odd location of our pool.... It was added many years after the hotel was first built and it can be a bit "interesting" to make your way to it. However, it is a nice amenity for our guests and I'm glad you found it!
I'm so happy that you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Stayed at hotel while in town for a wedding at a local country club.
First the pros:
The location is great. Easy access to highway, botanical gardens, Skokie lagoons bike and hiking trail, beach, and other north shore activities.
Staff is exceedingly helpful and kind.
The rooms are meticulously clean. Bed is very comfy. Bed linens are wonderful. Loved the little coffee maker that my husband used for coffee. Once he was done I was able to throw out the cartridge and heat my water for tea. Rarely can I make my tea in a hotel room. This little coffee maker does not force the tea drinker to filter water through any coffee basket, so your tea actually tastes like tea! May seem like a small point, but not to us tea drinkers!
The gym was of a decent size and very well stocked. Would have appreciated a rowing machine and better sit-up board, but those are recommendations, not complaints.
Some challenges:
Back to the coffee: my husband felt it tasted horrible. Went downstairs to ask where the real coffee station was and was directed towards the restaurant for a paid coffee. Really? What hotel nowadays doesn't have a free coffee station with decent coffee set up in the lobby??? It's such a small touch that makes your guests much more happy in the morning.
Next, I don't know what Marriott was thinking with the decor of this hotel. I am no decorator and I usually do not comment much on the decor of hotels, enjoying everything from traditional to modern, but this decor was an assault on the sensory system. I walked in the the lobby and was taken aback by the Pee-wee Herman playhouse look. It's gaudy and awful. Thankfully, the room we stayed in was a bit more subdued.
The rooms have clearly been updated, they are a bit tight (we were in a queen sized bed room) and there is a new thermostat on the wall. But the air conditioning unit is still the old type of unit that sits under the windows. Room was cool which was appreciated in July, but the air blasted ice cold for awhile, paused until the room reheated, then blasted again. No middle ground. So, at night you'd wake up hot, throw the covers off, get blasted with cold, scramble for the covers. We were up half the night...
The pool and hot tub is nice enough, but there is no bathroom or changing area nearby. Women have a rather lengthy walk to find bathrooms down a hall and around a corner. Who wants to slosh back from the pool to the room at a large hotel??
In sum, for a short stay in the busy wedding season, it is fine.

Room Tip: Wifi free for Marriott awards members
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank sammielove
Rik B, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear Sammielove,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a thorough review. I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay, for the most part, and felt our staff was very helpful and kind. However, it was disappointing to learn that you had such a violent reaction to our decor. I've received so many positive comments about our whimsical lobby, including a review just a week or so prior to yours on this site! Like art and architecture, I guess decor is an individual taste and it is impossible to please everyone.
I have brought up your comment about the A/C with our maintenance department and they will review their procedures for inspecting thermostats more carefully.
Thank you again for staying with us.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Nice hotel, large room, medium size washroom. I want to give them a 4 star rating, however the bed was very uncomfortable, too high and the back board/ bed had a gap, the pillows kept on falling in between and the mattresses would often slide down. bed at a hotel is the most important element to me...after-all its all about comfort.
I was here for a conference and the facilities were good.
massive parking lot. great restaurants nearby.
if you are Muslim and traveling to Chicago strongly recommend to download an app called "daleelo" guides u to the mosques and halal restaurants-very impressive

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Rik B, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Dear asimmstq,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your recent stay.
I am so sorry that the bed in your room was not to your liking. As part of our recent renovations, we did upgrade all of our mattresses to the deluxe 16" pillow-top variety. Although the response from our guests has been overwhelmingly positive, the preference for a soft or firm bed is obviously a personal choice.
The issue with the bed frame being too far from the headboard was probably a result of it not being properly placed after the bed was made up from the previous guest. I will reinforce that this is double checked by housekeeping in the future.
I do hope you return to the area and give us another chance to host you in comfort!