“Family summer vacation.”

Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Northbrook
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I recently took a vacation with my husband and young sons and one of our destinations was a five night stay in Chicago. We chose the Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel based on a friends recommendation and could not be more thrilled with our decision. The staff was phenomenal from start to finish. Friendly, thorough and efficient. The rooms were beautiful and welcoming. Our daily cleaning service was always done meticulously.
The shuttle service was very helpful for the whole week. The atmosphere in the lounge was always friendly and I loved the "library" for some relaxation and down time. The kids and I loved the pool and hot tub facility!! The boys especially loved the Ping pong matches
at the end of our fun, busy days.
We had the pleasure of meeting the GM, Rik, who was handing out ice cream in the lobby, supporting a children's charity. What a kind hearted host. We were all very impressed and will definitely be staying here again.
Thank you to all of the staff and Rik for making this one of the best vacations we could have hoped for.

Room Tip: I suggest the suites if staying for an extended trip, gives everyone a little more room to relax. Th...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Rik B, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Dear Kari A,
Thank you for the glowing review!
I'm especially happy that you were able to make some great family memories, that is what travel and new experiences are all about! It was a pleasure meeting you, you certainly have your hands full with your 3 boys...
I am hopeful our paths will cross again, either here or in another location!
All my best to you and your family,

Reviewed 31 July 2014

We stayed here on our visit to Chicago. A little too far from downtown for us (a Metra train station is about 10 minutes away but it takes a long time to get downtown).
The staff was very accommodating. They checked our family in early.
The pool area was clean and the kids loved the ping pong table. We were especially impressed when front desk staff offered to bring down paddles and balls, so we all wouldn't have to trudge to the front desk. Whirlpool is very small (official capacity = 3). Very nice towels in the pool area and in our room.
Cool art and a very trendy, hip hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Rik B, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Dear kOps210,
I appreciate that you took the time to share your comments with us and was pleased to see that you enjoyed our facilities and service! Although we are about 20 miles North of the city, from a value perspective, we do feel the location is a bargain. Room rates are typically much higher in the city, not to mention paying an average of $50 per night for parking, while it is free here!
I always think of the train ride into the city as an added adventure and a way to see some areas you might not otherwise.
Thank you for the kind observations and I do hope you return at some future date.
All my best,

Reviewed 30 July 2014

We have just finished a wonderful stay at the Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel. The entire staff deserves a round of applause. We were in a very stressful situation after discovering the need for a major renovation in a home we just purchased just days after closing and just before we needed to leave our present home. From the moment we arrived to our departure this hotel became "home" because of the anticipatory service and warmth of the entire staff. Great location, good food, clean and comfortable room...but again the level of warm wonderful service makes this a 5 star review. Don't hesitate to make this hotel your choice!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Marste11,
Thank you! What a wonderful review of the hotel and our staff! After 25 days I would have expected something minor could have escalated into a real problem, so it is very nice to hear your entire stay went well.
Thank you so much for making us your "temporary home" and best wishes as you begin life in your new house!
Regards,

Reviewed 30 July 2014

We got to our room and found out that none of what we requested in the reservation were there. We’re four people with only three towels, no rollaway no extra pillows called front desk no one answers for 15 minutes finally answered saying the rollaway will be there shortly. No one brought anything I went down to the lobby to get the stuff CUT LONG STORY SHORT rollaway didn’t get to the room an hour and half after checking in.

Chemicals in pool needed some work to much chlorine discolored our bathing suits also pool needed to be vacuumed.

Staff performance wasn’t acceptable the lady at the front desk wasn’t having a great day I assume. I asked for some tooth paste hotel didn’t have any.
I usually don’t comment on my stays but for this property the manager must be notified to keep Marriott standard's high as usual.

Room Tip: Go through your reservation before checking in to this hotel.
1  Thank Mike O
Rik B, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Dear Mike O,
I appreciate that you took the time to comment, especially in light of the fact that your stay was so disappointing.
You are correct, it is something I needed to know, and I apologize that we did not provide the services you had requested. It is inexcusable that we first missed your requests and then delayed the delivery of them after your arrival. Even more upsetting to me is the poor response from the staff when you communicated with them.
I will be reviewing your comments with my team and we will continue to work to improve this in the future.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Nice lobby, cool lights upon entry and hip decor.
Rooms are large and the a/c works great- had to shut it down as it actually got too cold! Clean and all amenities in bathroom were fine.
Concierge lounge on the 9th floor was terrific- great view and plenty of space to work.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Rik B, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Dear SFLMom,
I just had to laugh when I read your compliments about our "cool and hip decor"! It seems our guests either love it or hate it, which, in my opinion, is better than not noticing it because it is nondescript and bland, like a few other places I can think of...
Be that as it may, I was happy to see that you enjoyed your stay and our hotel provided everything you needed during your time with us.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Best regards,

Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed one night for a wedding nearby. The hotel was clean, had ample parking, and the bed was super comfortable. The front desk staff was friendly but not very effective. We were told we had to wait for a room to be cleaned and for a crib to be brought in. An hour later we were told our room was ready. We were in a room across the hall from ours and I know that no housecleaning personnel entered the room during that hour and the room was ready the whole time. We also never got a crib. I'd stay here again, though.

• Stayed: July 2014

Dear kjbadg,
Please accept my apologies for the delay in preparing your room, and the failure to fulfill your request for a crib. It certainly sounds like a communication breakdown and I'll discuss this with my Front Desk team.
In spite of this inconvenience, you mention that you would stay with us again... Please contact me directly if you plan another trip, I'd like to do something to make up for this recent experience.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

The hotel was beautiful! Looked like an average hotel from the outside, plenty of parking. Upon walking into the hotel, WOW!! The lobby was hip, cool, unique and beautifuly furnished. Great wall art. Not what I expected at all! Loved it!

Upon entering into the guest room, standard looking room, two queen beds, desk, chair and side table. Small bathroom, if a heavier person were to go into the bathroom, they would have to go all the way to the wall, before they could shut the door. It was tiny, however, shower head was great and provided plenty of towels.

Bed furnishing looked lovely with a duvet. However, once lying down on the beds, I thought I was in heaven! The beds were so very comfortable. Even my children 12,10,7 years old - commented how good they slept and how comfy the beds were!

We used the pool area. Small - and not so deep pool. Usually hotel pools aren't deeper than 5' - this one was 4'5" - and the whirlpool was very small. Only 2-3 adults would be able to fit comfortably - but their feet would be touching each other. They had nice lounge chairs and a even had a sunning deck outsite. There was a ping pong table and they provided the towels in the pool area. The only awkward thing about the pool - is getting there. If you don't bring a cover-up, you either walk near the lobby and down some stairs near the offices. Or you go down to the lowest level, where the conference rooms are. But in the event a conference is going on - there you are - with your swimsuit on. So just a little awkward on your way to the pool!

We stayed three nights - so each and every night - we all looked forward to the beds!

Room Tip: We were right to the side of the elevators - a little noisy ice machine traffic and ice machine nois...
1  Thank Laura G

Dear Laura G,
Thank you for your kind comments about your room, our lobby decor, and especially our pillow top beds! You are spot on regarding the odd location of our pool.... It was added many years after the hotel was first built and it can be a bit "interesting" to make your way to it. However, it is a nice amenity for our guests and I'm glad you found it!
I'm so happy that you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back again soon.
All my best,
Rik Blyth

Also consider these accommodations in or near Northbrook
Hilton Northbrook
Crowne Plaza Hotel Chicago - Northbrook
Courtyard Chicago Highland Park/Northbrook
4 mi away
Embassy Suites North Shore / Deerfield

Been to Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel? Share your experiences!