“Poor staff overall and dirty sheets”

Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Northbrook
Clarksville
“Poor staff overall and dirty sheets”
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Upon arrival the clerk Adam was nice and knowledgeable. I unpacked and dialed "0" to ask a question. I hear upon answering "they killin me today, UGH, hello". Someone doesn't like their job obviously. When returning from dinner I get ready for bed around 9:45pm. Pull comforter back to find STAINS on middle pillow and all over the comforter. Plus MULTIPLE hairs. Beyond disgusting. I dial "0" and ask for the sheets to be changed. 30+ minutes later housekeeping decides to finally come and says "it ok it chemical". Well I don't think it's ok and the hairs indicate this bed wasn't cleaned after the last guest. She replaced the sheets but placed the newly clean pillows ON THE FLOOR. I was so tired I gave up and slept without pillows. Next day housekeeping cleaned but left the pillows on the floor. Next day I asked for additional shampoo, twice, each time it was going to be brought up but never was.
HORRIBLE SERVICE AND CLEANLINESS. Lobby decor is amazing tho.

• Stayed August 2014
Rik B, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear KSpalding 33,
Please accept my sincere apologies for this unacceptable experience. As you can see from the previous reviews posted on this site, this is not a common occurance and I am appalled that it happened to you. It is my understanding that we have already refunded that night's room charges to you, after you brought this situation to the attention of our Customer Care team.

Upon investigation, we have found that the room you were checked in to was used by a guest who departed a day early. Because we don't change sheets every day for in-house guests unless requested, the bed was simply re-made. When that guest left later in the day, the room was re-cleaned, but the bed was not stripped and re-made.
Proper communication and re-training of staff is underway to prevent this from recurring.
Regards,
Rik Blyth

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Ontario's Near North, Canada
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We stayed at this hotel for one night in August. Very reasonable rates for the quality of the hotel. The lobby is modern and the front desk staff very efficient and friendly. The room was nicely appointed, very clean and modern. King bed was comfy! Nice towels and linens. There is an on-site restaurant and room service, however we were not there long enough to use it. We did however, on the evening we checked in, go to Ruth Chris Steak House and had a great dinner! It is connected to the hotel. Free parking is always a bonus!!! If we were ever in the area we would definitely stay here again and recommend it!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank B3achLov3r
Dear B3achLov3r,
Thank you for the compliments! I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed both our service and facilities... even for such a short stay.
I will pass on your praise to the manager of Ruth's Chris, it is also my favorite restaurant in the area, and you can't beat the convenience!
Chandler, AZ, United States
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I checked in last night and wow! Cute, comfortable, and connected to Ruth Chris steak house! They even have a nice souvenir shop onsite for trips. I have a king room on the 6th floor. I slept great, I have a window view, and ordering room service! They have a nicely decorated restaurant and bar! Swimming pool and hot tub is a plus! I have four more nights to go! So far, so good.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Dear Jennifer M,
Thank you for such a prompt, up to the minute review! I trust that the remainder of your stay was also very enjoyable?
Please let me know if you will be returning to the area, we'll make sure to give you a repeat performance!
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

Clean hotel and great staff. Will stay again with work.

Beds were comfy. Rooms a good size.

Food was good with the catered meal for business

Bar was swanky and had a good singer w piano.

Gym is a bit small.

Like the driver that drove me to shops nearby.

Stayed June 2014
Rik B, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear Shonna M,
I greatly appreciate that you took the time to share your Renaissance experience with me! I was happy to see that our facilities and staff made such a positive impression on you and I hope you are able to return again soon.
Kansas City
Reviewed 7 August 2014

This hotel doesn't look like much from the outside, but the interior is completely stunning. It has obviously been renovated recently, and every surface is impeccably clean. My 10-year-old daughter was very intrigued by the art-design of the lobby, and that design carried into the corridors and rooms as well.

The rooms had some of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept on. Bathrooms were perfectly clean.

The pool was clean, spacious, and the pool room has a ping pong table. Lots of fun.

We didn't try the restaurant, but I hear it has received critical acclaim with local magazines.

Room Tip: If you are staying at this hotel and intend to spend a lot of time in downtown Chicago, drive from t...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear comfortablynumb79,
Wondering if you are a fellow Pink Floyd fan? Thanks so much for your very kind comments and observations. I was happy to read that you loved our new decor and am happy to share that the exterior is getting a facelift next year as well!
Your recommendation to take the train into the city is spot on and I am glad you discovered this easy and fast method of enjoying all that Chicago has to offer.
We hope to welcome you back again soon...
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

Just returned from my family reunion in Chicago, we stayed 3 nights. Lovely accommodations, bed was very comfortable. The room was cleaned everyday, parking was easy (no fee), wi-fi. It's a bit far from the city but not too bad, there was a bit of traffic to and from.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear Kala J,
Thank you so much for your positive comments about your stay! Although we are about 18 miles north of the city, many of our guests take our 5 minute shuttle to the train station and can zip into the heart of Chicago in no time at all...
We hope to welcome you back again for the next reunion!
Regards,
Loveland, Colorado
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I recently took a vacation with my husband and young sons and one of our destinations was a five night stay in Chicago. We chose the Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel based on a friends recommendation and could not be more thrilled with our decision. The staff was phenomenal from start to finish. Friendly, thorough and efficient. The rooms were beautiful and welcoming. Our daily cleaning service was always done meticulously.
The shuttle service was very helpful for the whole week. The atmosphere in the lounge was always friendly and I loved the "library" for some relaxation and down time. The kids and I loved the pool and hot tub facility!! The boys especially loved the Ping pong matches
at the end of our fun, busy days.
We had the pleasure of meeting the GM, Rik, who was handing out ice cream in the lobby, supporting a children's charity. What a kind hearted host. We were all very impressed and will definitely be staying here again.
Thank you to all of the staff and Rik for making this one of the best vacations we could have hoped for.

Room Tip: I suggest the suites if staying for an extended trip, gives everyone a little more room to relax. Th...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Rik B, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear Kari A,
Thank you for the glowing review!
I'm especially happy that you were able to make some great family memories, that is what travel and new experiences are all about! It was a pleasure meeting you, you certainly have your hands full with your 3 boys...
I am hopeful our paths will cross again, either here or in another location!
All my best to you and your family,
Rik Blyth
Also consider these accommodations in or near Northbrook
Hilton Northbrook
#1 of 4 in Northbrook
Near North Side
The Langham, Chicago
The Langham, Chicago
#2 of 189 in Chicago

Been to Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel? Share your experiences!