“Mold in shower”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Northbrook
Austin, Texas
“Mold in shower”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

I have come to accept that most Hilton properties (regardless of brand) are average at best in the US. Internationally, however, they shine.

So, I had little expectations when I booked this hotel for a night. I am a Diamond member and tried to request an upgrade to the 'forest view / jacuzzi tub' room but was told that room category was not among those I could be upgraded to. So I booked it flat out, although a little annoyed already.

Check in was easy enough, quite pleasant and swift. This is a conference hotel so I knew it'd be a mile or so to my elevator...and of course the (very small) gym is by the reception area...

The room itself was a bit odd with partial walls, etc - very, very dated and smelled a little 'muggy'. AC was set ridiculously low so I had to 'defrost' at first. On the upside, there was actual body wash gel in the bathroom (the liquid body wash is something many Hilton brands will make you ask for - for some odd reason). The tub....well...it's more of a foot soaker...I am 6'2...no way to get in there and be comfy. However, we're still at 3 stars. But then I discovered the mold in the shower (see picture). The room itself appeared clean but every time I see mold I can't help but wonder why a hotel would not bleach its bathrooms...so now I am assuming other things are also only superficially clean...And the forest view doesn't start for a bit...one's eyes first have to ignore the parking lot that your room oversees as well. A bit...misleading...

I tried to get a room change and was told I'd hear back as it required some sort of approval. Well, I stayed for one night and never heard back. So now we're at 1 star...the 'lounge', while very dated, tiny and stuff, was actually not bad..nice small selection of warm and cold dishes, juices, milk, coffee, water and fruit. So that brings us back to 2 stars. I couldn't find an email address for the manager of the hotel on their website (that's always a bad sign) - if one was listed, I would have reached out to them instead. All said and done, as of right now, I'd likely not go back there unless I had to.

Gary S, Manager at Hilton Northbrook, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Thank you for your feedback. We are glad you chose our hotel during your stay in our area. We apologize for the problems you encountered. We fixed the bathroom issues and have addressed them with our housekeepers. Again, we apologize for all of the inconveniences. We want you to know that you can contact us at frank.arnieri2@hilton.com so we can make this right. We assure you that if you give us another opportunity, you won't be disappointed in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Laguna Niguel, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

Nicely located in a wooded area, quiet, peaceful, no street traffic. Rooms are large with private dressing area, nice beds with very comfortable pillows and comforters. Housekeeping and hotel services are very good and the restaurant "Allgauer's", a Chicago area tradition serves excellent meals. For those Chicago nostalgia fans, this was the site of the former Viila Venice, a favorite of Frank Sinatra and operated by Sam Giancana's organization at that time.

Room Tip: As normal, always request a room away from the elevators and ice machine. I had an end unit which w...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
bobmsmith, Director Room Division at Hilton Northbrook, responded to this review, 15 August 2014

We appreciate you taking the time to give an historic comment about our hotel & restaurant

Have a great weekend.
Buffalo Grove, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

Hotel needs a good update. The pillows were very soft. The hotel staff was excellent. The restaurant staff at Allgauers was slow and very rude. However, the food at dinner and Sunday brunch was very good.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

bobmsmith, Front Office Manager at Hilton Northbrook, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience. I am pleased to hear you found the hotel to your liking. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the not too distant future.

Enjoy the remainder of your summer 2014
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

As part of the Hilton Brand hotels, this hotel is outdated and can use some renovation. The staff makes up for any outdated situation in the premises or room. Room was very comfortable and room service was very good.
I spent one week here in a meeting and have no complaints, even though there were more than one company with a meeting here in the same week, the noise level was "0"

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
bobmsmith, Director Room Division at Hilton Northbrook, responded to this review, 27 August 2014

Have a great Memorial day weekend
Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

We decided to take a last minute trip to Chicago, and the usual hotels that we would stay at downtown were all booked, so we decided to take a chance and stay at a hotel on the outskirts. The main reason I booked this hotel was because I could get a late check out with the romance package, and we were going to be out really late, so a bit of sleep before a long drive home was important. I did read the trip advisor reviews before I booked, so I had pretty low expectations going into this stay. As usual, the trip advisor reviews were spot on.

The hotel is located in an odd area, and it was about a 30 minute drive into downtown Chicago. The hotel did not charge parking, so that was a plus, too. The hotel was pretty busy, with a wedding reception going on, but check in was quick. The front desk staff were not friendly, but they were efficient, so I have no complaints with that. Check out in the morning was also quick and business like. Our sparkling wine and strawberries were delivered promptly after a call to the front desk. The room service attendant that delivered them was very friendly.

The real issue I had was with the room. We booked an executive level king bed room. The executive lounge is not open on the weekends, and we were aware of that at the time of booking. We were not spending a lot of time at the hotel, so that was not important, although I do typically like having at least the opportunity to grab a bottled water or soda from the lounge even if there are no services. I think that is an opportunity this hotel could have for improvement. The executive floor was small, but in the morning, we could still hear a couple of other groups of people talking very loudly in the hall. The soundproofing in the rooms was not very good. There was also a smell on the floor, that was noticeable as soon as the elevator doors opened. I cannot place what the odor was, but it was unpleasant, and it carried over into the room. The room itself was not up to standards for an executive floor room. The carpet was very worn out, and the bathroom (toilet and shower) was tiny. There was a separate sink and mirror area outside the bathroom. The door of the bathroom looked like it had been painted in a sloppy manner.

Overall, this hotel served its purpose by giving us a place to sleep before a long drive home, but I would never return, and do not feel that it is worthy of the Hilton brand name. I cannot comment about the food, as we did not eat there, and I did not take any pictures.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
bobmsmith, Director Room Division at Hilton Northbrook, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We’re very sorry that your experience at our property wasn’t up to our usual high standards and we apologize for all the inconvenience you experienced. We will take your comments under consideration as we continually work to improve our guest experience. We hope to have another opportunity to serve you if your travels bring you back to Chicago

Sincerly,

Robert Smith
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

Hello! Loyal Hilton HHonors member with a less-than-stellar experience at this hotel.

First impression...lacking any update from the exterior should be the first warning sign. Upon entering the facility it smells like an old KFC restaurant! It doesn't get any better as you enter your room with the strong aroma of oranges apparently in an attempt to cover up the old and musty furnishings.

Check-in was not to Hilton standards. As a Diamond, I was just checked in and handed key packet. No acknowledgement of status. Despite the hotel being 80% full (as mentioned by a nearby desk clerk) and better rooms being available online same-day, no upgrade even offered (I asked) as HHonors allows for. The hotel has an executive lounge, but that was closed on the weekend. Instead they give you chits and send you to the busy public lounge for a soda and an app...not even close to an executive lounge experience!

The pathetic excuse of a business center is just that...pathetic. The monocrome laser printer bleeds toner on copies rendering them useless. Don't even both using the other computer that is attached to the color printer. Upon printing your second page (which takes 5 minutes), the machine jams up. Obviously rather than fixing or replacing this faulty machine, they hang a sign that says that it is not for use making multiple copies! The best part is the keyboard which is a cesspool of crud stuck to the keys turning them from ivory to grey....ick!

Moral of the story...save yourself the $$$ and head elsewhere where the management appears to take care of guests better than treat them as a number.

Room Tip: A good room is one at a nearby hotel and not here!
Gary S, Manager at Hilton Northbrook, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We’re very sorry that your experience at our property wasn’t up to our usual high standards and we apologize for all the inconvenience you experienced. We want you to know that the comments we receive from our guests are taken very seriously and your suggestions will help us to improve. We hope to have another opportunity to serve you, if your travels bring you back to Chicago.

Gary S.
Lakeland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

went for a wedding it was a very good the staff was great the day was all good seeing old friends was great we felt like it was like a second home. It was a fun weekend almost like our home in Vegas the grounds were very nice it is keep up very well

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Have a great day and enjoy the remainder of your summer 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Northbrook
Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel
Crowne Plaza Hotel Chicago - Northbrook
Sheraton Chicago Northbrook Hotel
Courtyard Chicago Glenview/Northbrook
Embassy Suites North Shore / Deerfield
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Prospect Heights
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson,...
#1 of 2 in Prospect Heights

Been to Hilton Northbrook? Share your experiences!