“Nothing was too much trouble...”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Coedway
The Old Hand & Diamond
Ranked #1 of 1 Coedway B&B and Inns
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Nothing was too much trouble...”
Reviewed 2 October 2011

It is rare that I write reviews, and am only inclined to do so if service is excellent or appalling...The Old Hand and Diamond was superb. We used this B n B for a wedding reception at nearby Rowton Castle, we called to ask if we could check in early to change for the wedding and were given a room at 11am - the rooms (although small) were charming and spotlessly clean. We were provided complimentary minibus to the Reception and collected after midnight by a charming young man. Breakfast was good, although we had booked breakfast at 9am, a small toddler's demands to eat at 7.45am were deemed no trouble at all, with other members of our party coming down at different times up to 9.20. An excellent family atmosphere, very welcoming and a delightful location. Would definitely recommend and hope to visit agian in the future.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
London
Reviewed 19 August 2011

I had a fantastic steak here, but the service was just beyond belief. The woman serving behind the bar seemed to make it her business to be difficult. Firstly I asked if they had wifi access in the pub and she said they did but they didn't like people using it because it created the wrong atmosphere. I was directed to a table close to two large TV screens so how my small laptop would have spolit the atmosphere there I don't know. The table I was given was right next to the entrance to the toilets so I asked if I could eat outside instead (where there are several tables) but was told that they couldn't serve meals outside. I was told that my order would be taken from my table, but after 20 minutes no-one had come to take it so I had to go back to the bar to chase them. Then finally when I went to pay I was overcharged. I complained and the bill was corrected, but without a word of apology.

So eat here by all means but be prepared to have to push the staff hard to get proper service, and double check your bill.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 December 2010

Only living a few miles from The Old Hand & Diamnond, we don't use it as often as we should. However a Xmas dinner with some village friends really did make us think we should be popping in more often and especially to eat the carvery. Normally Xmas meals and also carveries can be a bit hit and miss and for me the majority of time a miss. I must say however this was one of the best roast dinners I have ever had eating out. The meat was tender, the veg fresh and appealing looking and the roast potatoes were perfect. Not an easy task when catering for large numbers. As has been mentioned in other articles, its the welcome and the atmosphere which really make the difference. I would strongly recommend to anyone. And as for the review on here that says they didn't feel they were welcomed or looked after well, all I can say is are you sure you were at the same place as all the other reviews!?
Have also rated rooms as we did stay here when we were house hunting and it was lovely.

• Stayed December 2010
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 October 2010

Last Saturday we had a special family party for 30 cvrs, at The Old Hand & Diamond, nothing was too much trouble, the service was excellant and the food wonderful.

• Stayed October 2010
uk
Reviewed 25 August 2010

We have stayed here before and our experience was a bit mixed, but after our last visit I have no hesitation in recommending this place to anybody. There are about seven bedrooms all with interesting features you will not find in modern "boxes". the same goes for the friendly staff who made us feel so welcome. We ate in one evening and can recommend the homemade fishcakes and the fillet steak. The place is obviously well run, the room was clean and the check in was very civilized. The prices seemed reasonable but the real attraction for me is the friendly atmosphere.

Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank a1al
LONDON
Reviewed 2 August 2010

We stayed here one night during a wedding at nearby Rowton castle (seems to be a common theme in these reviews). The staff were extremely friendly, and as soon as we arrived offered us tea / coffee / snacks / etc.

We opted to wait for the Carvery to open (it was a Sunday), and it was certainly worth the wait. The meat was deliciously cooked (I had Pork, my wife had beef), tender, moist and the accompanying vegetables were also varied, perfectly cooked, and surprisingly good. The carvery is, to my opinion, not to be missed. The 50+ locals who all turned up for carvery would seem to agree... the place was packed.

After the Sunday wedding we came back late Sunday night. The staff were very friendly (they had offered to come and collect us, but we didn't need the lift), and gave us bottles of water in case we had hangovers the next day, a really thoughtful gesture.

We slept like logs (nothing to do with the alcohol, I hadn't even been drinking), but the bed, room, country air, and friendly staff just made us so relaxed. When we woke up for an early start the next day the manageress who had got up even earlier (after wishing us good night late the night before) and cooked us a delicious full english breakfast, with fresh orange juice and fresh brewed coffee.

Our room (105) was spacious, extremely clean, light and airy. It was very comfortable, and surpassed our expectations. Had we known just how nice it would be, we would have booked an extra night. It was honestly the best night's sleep we've had in ages!

For the (relatively) low price they charge, we simply hadn't expected such a nice B&B. We thoroughly recommend it (in fact, I'm recommending my parents pay a visit sometime soon). The place should be renamed to just "the diamond," it really is!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank cjg101
uk
Reviewed 12 June 2010

Had our large family reunion here. Very disappointing. Our group had to wait nearly and hour for two alternative vegetarian meals as there was only beef on the carvery. The staff were quite rude. When asking for anything we were met with sighs and slamming food down! A small party of us stayed overnight with the B&B facility, only to be met by a surly teenager who grunted " full English"! As a positive comment I can only add that the rooms were quite big and had plenty of space. However - generaly very poor and wont recommend it to anyone>

• Stayed June 2010
4 Thank bagpus_10
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coedway
Rowton Castle
Big Bear Lodge
Big Bear Lodge
#1 of 1 in Melverley
Wollaston Lodge Bed & Breakfast

Been to The Old Hand & Diamond? Share your experiences!