“Wonderful” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Old Hand & Diamond

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Coedway
The Old Hand & Diamond
Ranked #1 of 1 Coedway B&B and Inns
Walsall, United Kingdom
“Wonderful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

Came here for a friends wedding that was up at row ton castle and stayed overnight. Beautiful carvery and service. The guy cooked us breakfast the next morning too. Wonderful. Would love to come back.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

There was three of us and we had booked a table in the restaurant for 8.30pm, our starters garlic mushrooms in fresh cream, ham hock terrine with home made piccalilli and Camembert warm with crusty hot bread, all three came with fresh hot bread, main meals I had slow roast Jacob lamb with mint mash and red cabbage, my son had Fillet steak well done and my husband had a mixed grill rare, both the fillet steak and the steak in the grill came perfectly cooked, all was delicious best meal we have had in a long while and the service was perfect and polite, we will be back very soon, highly recommend

Stayed July 2014
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

Having eaten here on several occasions in the past admittedly not in the last six months I find it disappointing that I have to write this review.
My wife and I having both worked late decided to eat out and elected to visit an old favourite of ours, the welcome was very nice and we were served drinks and shown to a very nice table for two, we decided to select our meals off the main menu, I chose fillet steak to be cooked medium served with the usual trimmings, my wife chose hunters chicken. The place was fairly busy so we waited patiently for our dinners, the young male waiter served our chicken and steak then disappeared and we were left waiting for our chips, salad and vegetables after what seamed an age they arrived so we started to dine I cut into my filet steak and was immediately disappointed
To find it we'll done, being hungry I accepted the way the steak was cooked but what I could not accept was how tough it was. The plate was taken away amid apologies and a fresh steak was promised. My wife continued to eat alone until a new steak was presented, again for a dish costing£20 the dissatisfaction continued, the steak was cut through the middle for cooking, how any reputable chief could do this to the finest steak I do not know, it was very greasy and was obviously cooked on a grill that was not clean and lamb fat could be tasted. At this point I out of respect for my wife gave up and ate what could be salvaged which did not take very long. We then went to the bar to pay and leave quietly promising to ourselves never to return.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank sn00py55
Plymouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

Had a wedding to attend up the road at Rowton Castle and found this little gem 3 miles up the road.

Lovely warm welcome upon arrival and it kept just getting better. Our room was spacious and well appointed and even though it was directly over the bar the sounds reaching us were not overly intrusive.

Breakfast was well worth getting up for and overall, the staff couldn't have been better. Everyone made sure our comfort was their primary focus.

I have no hesitation whatsoever in recommending the old hand and diamond as a place to stay and will certainly use again if I am in the area again.

Once again, thanks to ALL the staff for making our 2 night stay such a pleasure

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Minotaur3868
Walsall, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

We had three meals Lunch, Dinner & Breakfast every one of the meals was well cooked well presented and not only were they all delicious they were great value for money. The real ales were perfectly kept The Woods lass was exceptional . The bedroom we had was very comfortable with views across open countryside It was very clean spacious full of old beams and had loads of character. We were treated more like members of the family rather than overnight guests. Everyone of the staff was friendly helpful and very smart. This is what all Pub/B&Bs should be like in My humble opinion great ales, great food, great service, and if visiting local attractions a great place to stay. Well done all at the Old Hand & Diamond

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
      Rooms
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

I booked in my additional guests here for a wedding we had at Rowton Castle on 1 Jun 14. Im so glad we did, the staff were really nice and helped with sorting out rooms for people and we also managed to combine it with a 50th birthday meal for 20 people in the restaurant downstairs the night before the wedding. Looking from outside the exterior might look a little tired but don't let that fool you. The people inside and the food they deliver is amazing. A* quality i would definitely go back again....and we did, the next day in fact after the wedding for a pub lunch, we enjoyed the food and the atmosphere that much. Thank you Old Hand and Diamond for some excellent service and food. You were spoken highly of by every guest i had in their (which couldn't be said for some other places in the area were we had guests).

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
      Rooms
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

I booked a table for 5 adults + 2 children to celebrate my birthday with my family. I explained it would need to be a late lunch (2.30) due to a baby who sleeps at inconveninet times and she kindly offered to keep the carvery going for us. When we arrived I could see that there was just a very small piece of roast beef left, a couple of yorkshire puddings and a few vegetables. We waited quite some time for our order to be taken, too long considering the restaurant was practically empty. I was disappointed that of the sample menu on their website only two of dishes were on their current menu and nothing on the specials board was available at lunchtime. Service was very slow, three of the party had steak baguette, salad and chips, which they said was OK, I had a steak and ale pie which came with mashed potato and just peas. The pastry had a tough crust around the edge which I didn't eat. The 6 year old grandson went for the carvery and ate the lot!
Having read the excellent reviews I was expecting better, all in all I would say the meal was very average - perhaps evening meals are better and I don't think the carvery should have been offered to us at that time as there certainly wasn't enough left to feed 7 people.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank DianaM20
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coedway
Rowton Castle
Big Bear Lodge
Big Bear Lodge
#1 of 1 in Melverley
Wollaston Lodge Bed & Breakfast

Been to The Old Hand & Diamond? Share your experiences!