“Reunion Weekend”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Coedway
The Old Hand & Diamond
Ranked #1 of 1 Coedway B&B and Inns
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Reunion Weekend”
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Just back from a second visit to the Old H and D. Four of us have started meeting there for regular reunions. It's a great inn, with really friendly staff, really good food and very comfortable bedrooms, spotlessly clean. So anybody looking for a relatively inexpensive but great place to base themselves while exploring the Welsh borderland, I'd recommend it.

Room Tip: Rooms on first floor are bigger and really quite spacious. Top floor ones are quirkier with lower ce...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank DFS2014
Theold Hand A, Manager at The Old Hand & Diamond, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Thanks for taking the time to post a review, we look forward to seeing you at the next reunion.
Kind regards
Nicky

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I have eaten there many times, from bar snacks to 1st class steaks cooked exactly right.. We had occasion to stay there one night and the room we had was very comfortable and clean, it may not be ultra modern but it is not a high street hotel.. it is a traditional Inn with great food and real ales. I have a habit of only reviewing places that I have felt was not very good.. I make an exception in this case it is well worth a visit.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Rugby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2014

The food is very nice indeed. The Inn itself has a very tired look about it. If you like listening in on the conversations of other guests in their rooms then this is the place for you. Sound proofing is poor. I intended to have a 4 night stay but gave up after 3 nights. I am only 5` 6" but I got sick of banging my head on the rafters in my room and crouching in a vain glorious effort to avoid banging my head again. The menu shown on The Inns web site bears no relation to as it is now in terms of it`s content or prices. The web site shows main courses averaging around the £7 mark. £10 to £11 was the case when I stayed there. Only 37% out!!!
I did ask why the name The Old Hand and Diamond. I was told that years ago it was a trading post for diamonds from Wales. Diamonds have never been mined anywhere in the British Isles.
I would like to know when this place was actually built. The distressed beams and crude stone walls smack of being deliberately contrived to make the building appear much older than it actually is.
I think that Trip Advisor should let everyone know that they should not trust menus displayed by any place offering accommodation unless that menu includes a date stamp.
Derry Diamond

Room Tip: I only slept in 1 room. It was in the attic. Number 202.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
We are sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your stay with us and were unhappy with your room, due to the age and nature of the building, sloping roofs are unfortunately unavoidable. We do have an access statement attatched to our website which does explain room types and there position in the building.
Unfortunately on your first night here we were fully booked and that was the only room available, although this is a double room it is one of our smaller doubles, we only wish you had brought it to our attention that you were unhappy with your room and we would of done our upmost to move you to a different room.
Thank you for bringing the dated website to our attention, the inn is going through some refurbishments and the outside is being refurbished as we speak, so once finished we will update photos, menus etc.
As for the history of the name of the inn we can only go on what's been passed on by previous owners, various people have tried to research the inn but to no avail, so the story of it being a trading inn for trading diamonds for gold is the only one we can tell.
As for the date of the building the original goes back as far as the early 1600's, over the years it has been extended and they have tried to keep the new additions in keeping with the original.
Kind regards
Nicky(manageress)
cumbria
Reviewed 6 August 2014

The food was great, service good and not slow as some reviews have said would have rated our stay as excellent if it hadn't been for the ceiling in the rooms. I wasn't told that the room we booked was up 2 flight of fairly steep stairs and had sloping ceilings, to get into one side of the bed you had to walk bent almost double and as it was in the attic space, when we asked a very helpful young waitress moved us into another room still with sloping ceilings but a much bigger room.
On the whole our stay was very good but would have liked to be told about the quirkyness of the rooms. Would recommend The Old Hand & Diamond as its very clean the food is very good and the beds comfortable.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Shepton Mallet, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Although the room rate seemed reasonable the rooms were noisy over looking the car park. The tables in the restaurant we used were sticky and meal service was slow. I was somewhat disappointed at the quality of service. The rooms were up a number of stairs with no obvious lift or offer of help with our luggage.

Room Tip: Not sure there are any
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Walsall, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Came here for a friends wedding that was up at row ton castle and stayed overnight. Beautiful carvery and service. The guy cooked us breakfast the next morning too. Wonderful. Would love to come back.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

There was three of us and we had booked a table in the restaurant for 8.30pm, our starters garlic mushrooms in fresh cream, ham hock terrine with home made piccalilli and Camembert warm with crusty hot bread, all three came with fresh hot bread, main meals I had slow roast Jacob lamb with mint mash and red cabbage, my son had Fillet steak well done and my husband had a mixed grill rare, both the fillet steak and the steak in the grill came perfectly cooked, all was delicious best meal we have had in a long while and the service was perfect and polite, we will be back very soon, highly recommend

Stayed July 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coedway
Rowton Castle
Big Bear Lodge
Big Bear Lodge
#1 of 1 in Melverley
Wollaston Lodge Bed & Breakfast

Been to The Old Hand & Diamond? Share your experiences!