Le Meridien Chicago - Oakbrook Center
US$89
US$85
US$98
US$90
All reviewsel tapeoclub roomfloor restaurantespresso machineoakbrook centermodern hoteltop floorpowerful showerspg membercheesecake factorymodern lookan amazing hotelcontainer storefront desk staffrestaurant optionsnice barshopping mall
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Wow, very nice on entry, room looks awesome. Housekeeping good, and very impressed with the decor. Love it. However, falls short on power outlets. I mean there are NONE in the room to plug in your devices. What outlets there are have other things plugged in, like TV, lamps, clocks, etc. One outlet has USB ports on it...that is okay, but just not enough. There is an outlet at the desk, but way behind the TV which is very hard to get too! I do not understand how they could spend as much as they did on remodel, and not at least put in lamps with outlets, or desk outlets. Odd!

Also, HVAC is terrible. Newer looking control...but...my room was cold when I got here, turned the heat on, and did not work. :( Tried the fan on manual later, and did not work...I like fan on low to drown out all the noise from neighbors, and hallway.

Hallway is loud, all sounds come under the door, they need to have some sort of door noise blocker installed under the door, if at all possible. Other hotels just do not have this loud of noise.

Lights were not working in the shower, or above the sink.

I left my room at 4:30pm for dinner, and told the front desk, face to face, about the heat not working, and the lights not working. They said they would work on it.

When i got to my room at 10pm, lights were not working, nor was the HVAC.

Also, when I went into the bathroom later, I turned on the remaining lights in the bathroom and the GFI popped in the bathroom, and the remaining lights did not work. I reset the GFI, and it kept popping. I did not call down as it was my bedtime. I Will hopefully be able to see in the bathroom when I need it tonight.

I was also told I was upgraded to a Club room, so I expected something fairly spacious. The room was TINY! Very hard to get into bathroom, and around doors!. :(

Anyhow, I will not come back here again because of these issues. I will continue at the Westin in Downer's Grove.

Le Meridien, Oakbrook, you have potential. Fix your electrical outlets, Electrical in the bathroom, and your HVAC.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank ClickTheGeek
Simon F, General Manager at Le Meridien Chicago - Oakbrook Center, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you so much for taking the time in writing a review about your recent stay. I am very sorry about you not finding enough power outlets in the room, and as a matter of fact, we are already working on a potential solution in order to add another outlet at the bed side.
I am very sorry to hear that your HVAC did not work to your satisfaction and we already reviewed the system and made sure it works correctly.
It is also unacceptable that you specifically mentioned it to the team, that still nothing has been fixed.
As we just opened, we are still working on ironing out some kinks, but feel confortable that we will be in much better shape soon, as most of the issues mentioned already have been addressed approprietly.

Again, thank you so much for addressing those issues to us and am hoping to be able to convince you to try us out again in the near future.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

I stayed at the Le Meridian hotel on August 8th, 2014, just one week after the grand opening. I had high hopes considering that this was a brand new 4 star hotel. They were dashed within minutes of walking in the door. I had the worst experience with the check in staff, which looked at my husband and I as if we were dirt that was beneath her to even speak to. It was rude and insulting. Lesson number 1 Le Meridian: train your staff to treat everyone equally because you never know who someone is by their appearance.
Still reeling from that experience, we went to our room on the second floor. Apparently the rude desk clerk decided we should be separated from the other hotel patrons and put us in a room down a small corridor at the end of the hallway. We walked in to find the room neat however unfinished. There was painter’s tape still on the walls and a horrible paint job on the ceiling. The bathroom had a toilet paper roll that was only a few inches off the floor and a shower that required Herculean strength to turn it off. Still, the bed was cozy and the bathrobe nice.
We tried to overlook the horrible experience with the desk clerk and went up to the bar in the evening. The bartender was very friendly and polite and answered our questions. I ordered one of the $15 signature cocktails to try something new, the le lama. It was DISGUSTING. Whoever decided that chocolate liquor, orange juice and rosemary syrup belonged together needs a taste bud transplant!
Overall this is not an experience we will ever look to repeat and I suggest others think twice before booking a room at this hotel.

Room Tip: Book at another hotel
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Wendy Ann B

Dear Guest

Thank you so much for taking the time to write us about your recent experience at our hotel.
I am truly embarrassed that you had such a bad check in experience and that our associate did not live up to your expectation. In the meantime we had the opportunity to address the shortcomings and to retrain our team
Also, I am very sorry that you have been placed into a room that had still painting tape up and that the handle on the shower was hard to operate.
Also, we addressed the recipes for our drinks in the bar and we made some necessary adjustments and we feel confident you would see a big difference.
As we just opened and still working out some kinks, you should still not have to experience in what you described and is clearly not reflecting in what we represent and in where we want to go with this exciting new hotel.

Again, I do appreciate you taking the time in sharing your feedback and still hope to see you back again.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

This was my first time staying in a Le Meridien and was attracted to a new hotel (I was told it opened 7/31). If I had realized that it was on the site of the former Renaissance Hotel, I probably would have stayed elsewhere because I recall how challenging parking can be due to shared parking with diners at the Cheesecake Factory next door and mall shoppers. When I arrived Friday evening (8/8) around 7:45 pm after working all day and driving for about three hours, it was an unpleasant surprise to have to hunt for parking. (I had a similar issue on Saturday evening (8/9) after returning from Chicago). Although the website touts "ample parking", there is limited reserved parking for hotel guests (all full); however, valet is an option (I don't expect to have to valet in Oak Brook, especially when it's adjacent to the self parking). I told the hotel staff that I found the website description misleading, given there was no mention of these competing interests and suggested perhaps there should be more self parking reserved for hotel guests. Just be forewarned that parking during the evening around dinner time may be problematic, although during the day it was not an issue.

In addition, I had sporadic issues with my keys not working for the elevator and/or my room. Aside from those mishaps, I found the hotel staff was friendly. My room was relatively small (the bed was comfortable, though); however, the bathroom was somewhat bigger. I too was not pleased with the lack of counter space in the bathroom (and only one bar of soap for the sink and shower) and the lack of outlets for my devices. I had to unplug the clock to access an outlet near the bed. Also, I found that the closet was poorly designed. The hanging bar was in the middle such that pants would drag the floor. The upper portion of the closet was just empty, wasted space.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo

Dear Guest

Thank you so much in taking the time in writing us a review. I am very sorry that you had to look for a parking space before you arrived. We have a limited amount of self parking that has been assigned to us by the mall and there is a three story covered parking garage for self parking behind the hotel. We did address with the team to communicate this better with our guests going forward, in order to have those options to available to our regular hotel valet service.

I am sorry that you experienced difficulties with our key system. We addressed this in the meantime with the key company.
Regarding the closets, we are adding some drawers soon to our guest rooms in order to increase the storage space in the room.

Again, thank you so much for sharing your feddback with us and am looking forward to your return soon!

Reviewed 10 August 2014

I stayed at this hotel the 3rd week after its grand opening. They are still working out the typical new hotel logistics, but I think the current rates are reasonable for its location outside of Chicago and the moderate level of service I experienced.

The lobby is spectacularly designed. The check-in counter is to the left of the entrance. The receptionist was a little slow at check-in (still in training), but had no problems identifying my reservation. The standard rooms are a little small, but had nice decor. The bathroom had modern fixtures typical of other Le Meridien locations, but was very tight. The sink had little counter space. The shower stall is beautiful, but the door seemed to allow significant leakage of shower water onto the bathroom floor and even into the hallway. Bathroom amenities were Le Meridien branded. The bed was very comfortable, and there was an illy espresso maker, which is a nice perk. Some of the TV channel signals were spotty, but overall worked well.

There is an executive lounge on the 9th floor, although it is unclear whether who gets access.

This is a welcome addition to the area as a conference-type hotel. I'd consider staying here again in the future if the rates are reasonable.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you so much for taking the time sharing your review. I am glad that you had an overall enjoyable stay. However, I am concerned to see that you feel that you did not receive the level of service that you would expect from a typical Le Meridien hotel around the world.
As we are still working out some of the kinks, I am confident that we can surpass this challenge and improve tremendously.
Our Executive Lounge on the 9th floor is reserved exclusively for our SPG Platinum guests and all of our guests on the 7th and 8th Club floors as well as all of our suites.

As we are working on improving the level of service, I am confident that we will be very soon at the level you would expect and certainly hope to welcome you back very soon!

Reviewed 9 August 2014

I chose to stay at this hotel b/c it just opened. I expected some glitches, but I preferred a property that was brand new. They did have some opening week growing pains...such as keys that keep demagnetized, not having wet bar menu, etc. However, the front desk staff and the staff in general more than made up for these small inconveniences with a friendly smile and willingness to accommodate the guests. I look forward to coming back to this hotel when I am back in the Chicago area.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo

Dear Guest

Thank you so much for taking the time in writing a review. I am glad that you had an enjoyable stay overall and that you gave us a try right after opening our hotel.

We are very much still working on ironing out some of the kinks and am confident that we exceed your expectations at your next stay.

Again, thanks so much for your feedback and am looking forward to welcoming you back soon!