“Meh....”

Cuisines: Chinese, Thai
Illinois
“Meh....”
Reviewed 18 February 2013

My daughter and I used to frequent this place almost every Monday. But then we found another place that we enjoyed much more. After several months of absence, we returned to the King and I and it appears the management, cook, and service staff has changed. I was really disappointed with the food (in fact, the tofu tasted spoiled and I was sick to my stomach the next day). I don't know that we will return anytime soon. The prices are very reasonable but that's the only reason to go at this point.

• Visited February 2013

Eau Claire, Wisconsin
“A tasty, cheap lunch”
Reviewed 19 August 2012

This is a pleasant, clean place. A set-price meal is about $6; you get egg or spring roll, soup, main dish and fortune cookie. The soup was salty, but the vegetables in it were perfectly crisp-tender. The spring roll was small and drenched in a gooey bean paste sauce. The pad thai was basically seasoned with fish sauce - not at all complex and authentic. All in all, a decent meal for a totally reasonable price.

Visited August 2012
Chicago, Illinois
“Typical cheap asian food w/huge portions”
Reviewed 3 August 2012

Not amazing, not horrible. Huge lunch portions but a little greasy and sloppy flavors. Not a true Thai experience.

Visited October 2011
Chicago
“The worst Thai food.”
Reviewed 18 September 2011

I have had Thai food in Thailand, Scotland, Canada and in many cities in the US. This is hands down the worst Thai food I have ever eaten.

Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
“Extremely Good... If You Order Right”
Reviewed 23 June 2011

On a hunt for the best pad thai in Oak Park, I started my search here and was not disappointed. The pad thai itself was absolutely fantastic-- great flavor, plenty of egg and tofu, tasty bean sprouts.

The other food, though, wasn't so great. We got the Pad Ped Tofu, medium spicy, and the red curry sauce didn't have very much flavor at all. It was spicy like red pepper flakes, but the tastes weren't very complex or very infused into the tofu and vegetables in the dish.

Still, for the price (about $8 an entree), it's a great deal. And the decor-- the robot made from soda cans-- in the entryway adds a nice touch of kitsch. My recommendation: come here for fantastic noodle dishes; don't expect too much from the vegetable-based menu items.

• Visited June 2011