“Great location, good value, in beautiful Oak Park”
Review of Write Inn

Write Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Oak Park
Jersey City, New Jersey
“Great location, good value, in beautiful Oak Park”
Reviewed 1 March 2012

I recently visited the Chicago area with a family member to attend the car show and, since we love the exceptional community of Oak Park, we chose to stay at the Write Inn. We booked a "family" room with two beds, which we found to be charming, roomy and comfortable, as we found the property as a whole. We experienced none of the cleanliness or facilties issues referenced in other reviews. I tend to use my nose as much as my eyes in gauging the cleanliness of a property and, in addition to not seeing any evidence of of dirt, I also detected no stale or musty odor that can be a telltale sign of uncleanliness, particularly in fabrics (furniture, draperies, etc.) and carpeting.

Our "family" room was very convenient for sharing as it had three sinks - one in the bathroom, one in the adjacent vanity area, and one in the kitchenette area near the entrance which featured a mini-fridge, microwave and coffee maker. The only thing that would make it even more practical is if the hairdryer were moved from inside the bathroom to the vanity area. The only drawback to our room was a step up into the bathroom that threatened to send one (or both) of us flat on our faces - we tend to be a clumsy family as it is - until we got used to it.

The front desk staff were extremely friendly and helpful. They do "express checkout"; the invoice is slipped under your door the last night of your stay and there is a basket in reception to drop off your room keys on your way out. The hotel offers wireless Internet as well as a computer in reception for guest use. Parking is offsite, although not far, but they have a couple spaces right in front of the building reserved for people with disabilities (requiring a tag or special plates on the vehicle) and for guests to load/unload.

Room Tip: If you need space then I highly recommend the a "family" room. If you have mobility issues...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank dcbenson67

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Duncan, Canada
Reviewed 22 November 2011

Our family and a few friends travelled down to Oak Park to attend our daughter's wedding. Given its location, we essentially had two options for multiple rooms. We decided to choose the Write Inn for a number of reasons, including the option of having a room with a fully equipped kitchen.

One of our sons read several very negative reviews of the Write Inn so was quite concerned - his girlfriend was joining us for the trip. Everyone was very happy with the choice of the Write Inn so I thought it could be helpful to write a review.

Within our large group there were a total of 5 rooms and all were different from one another but all reasonably priced. I believe price could be negotiable so do ask, particularly if you have a longer stay or are in a larger group. Everyone's rooms were very clean, the beds were great and pillows and bedding all great.

My room did have a full-sized fridge, gas stove, microwave, coffee maker and full sink - something that worked well for making breakfasts and lunches for the 11 of us in our group. Although the kitchen was not well-equipped in general, the front desk did provide paper plates and plastic cutlery when asked. With very little cost (under $15), I was able to add a toaster, some bowls and inexpensive metal cutlery. Hopefully the next visitors get to also use these.

All but one of the five rooms was updated - the one with the full sized kitchen that was our top priority was furnished in a much older vintage/style. One room had a bedroom, kitchenette, and sitting room with a couch, second TV and Murphy bed. A very nice room, bright and cheerful, updated and the one our daughter chose to get ready in for wedding. Another room had 2 queen beds, a couch, a couple of nice chairs a kitchenette and was very nicely decorated. It also had a level entry to the handicapped accessible washroom (a few of the rooms had a step up into the nicely updated washrooms).

Two of the rooms (one being the one with the full kitchen) had a queen bed and a single bed, which worked out well for options for groupings of our guests.

As per other reviewer's comments, the overnight parking is about 3 blocks away but secure and well lit and the walk safe along the street with many shops. There were also 4 drop off stalls in front of the hotel and street parking available during the day. Obviously the hotel staff also read these reviews as I was given a two sided handout when I checked in informing me that I could not back into the stalls in the parkade, that I had to get the parking voucher validated before leaving, etc.

I was also told of the elevator at the rear of the main floor when I checked in (and had read about it in reviews) but apparently a couple I met were not informed of this as they were struggling with the older elevator and their child's stroller and then trying to carry it down the staircase until I suggested the elevator at the rear.

As mentioned in some other reviews, the carpeting in the hallway on the main floor to the very large elevator at the rear of the main floor is quite soiled. As the restaurant is on one side of the hall and further down the hall are the kitchen and dish pit, it is obvious this is more of a service area for Hemmingway's Bistro (the dishes and food are carried between the restaurant and the kitchen). This carpeting might be in the vintage style but would best be lifted and replaced with something that the restaurant staff can clean on a daily basis.

Overall, a great stay. I liked the quaint, old town feel of the place and that each room was very different but clean and comfortable. I have only short list of random things for improvement.

As there was one couple who did not know of the rear elevator, perhaps a checklist the desk clerk goes through when registering new guests.

Given our various needs for hanging formal clothes and linens for the reception, we noted a definite lack of hanging room in each room but one - the one with the bedroom and sitting room. Perhaps a few more spots could be added to each room where wet coats or long clothes could be hung.

Given that I saw a few different desk clerks watch us make numerous trips up and down to our rooms with various boxes large and small full of wedding rentals, linens, food, flowers, etc and it was on the very last day that I discovered by chance a luggage dolly another guest was using so went in search of one in behind the staircase, perhaps the desk staff could take some inititive to provide helpful tips to make guest stays easier would be nice. Or maybe even add it to their checklist for guests when they register.

The last comment has to do with parking, which seems to be more for the restaurant. It was great to have the 20 minute loading zone in front for the times we were picking up/dropping off our large group (two of whom were in their 80s and one had mobility issues) and the various boxes of wedding/ reception supplies. Although there are 4 spaces, two on the restaurant side of the entrance and two on the hotel lobby side, one on the hotel's side of the entrance was reserved for handicapped parking and often empty but required a permit. The two on the restaurant side seemed to always be full when the restaurant was open, and, what I found most annoying was that on the weekend, when the restaurant had valet service, the valet was sitting in a car in the one loading/unloading spot on the Inn's side of the entrance and when called to duty, would stop playing on his electronic device, jump out and run to retrieve a guest's car but the car he was sitting in remained in the one non-handicapped spot on the Inn's side of the entrance. Perhaps there is a better arrangement for where the valet waits so that the Inn's guests also have access to a loading/ unloading spot.

Room Tip: The best room of our group was on the south east corner on the 3rd floor. It was also only $15 more...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank SusanFromVancIsland
Minneapolis
Reviewed 12 October 2011

I was not anticipating a Holiday Inn express, but I was hoping for a toilet that flushed, and carpet I dared walk on in my bare feet.

This is an old hotel (not older...old....older implies it has been taken care of).
The young lady that checked us in was very pleasant, parking was fairly easy. The location very nice. Whne we walked down the hallwasy to the back of the hotel toward the elevator. I was honestly appalled by the condition of the carpet. Inasmuch as the hall was used to bus food from the dining area to the kitchen, I excused the filthy dirty carpet as being that way becuase of the food that was schlepped through there. I cannot come up with a similar excuse for the condition of the carpet on the 3rd floor. The toliet didn't flush, so I resorted to keeping the lid off and setting the stopper manually each time the toilet was used.

On a good note....the door numbers were quite cute.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank kyhMN

Travellers are raving about these Oak Park hotels

Shiloh, Illinois
Reviewed 27 September 2011

For anyone visiting the Chicago area, this is a good choice if you can't affort the pricier hotels near the city center. It's an old hotel and has a lot of charm, but in our room there were several large areas where the plaster had fallen off the ceiling. The lighting in the bathroom could have bee a little brighter, but overall not a bad hotel. We liked the ancient elevator that boasted it was the oldest in the Oak Park area.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 September 2011

I was satisfied with services courtesy of staff members n affordable price.

• Stayed July 2011
Stoughton,WI
Reviewed 26 September 2011

Let me lay it out for you future travelers... yes, it is OLD, with old furniture, cracking plaster, no storms on the windows, and (free) parking 2 blocks away (in a nice garage). Yes, you have to walk down a few steps with your luggage to the lobby, and yes, the elevator is sometimes slow. The TV appears to have only local channels, so our kids were a little disappointed (but WE weren't). If you are looking for a modern, chain hotel with bellmen and valets...this is not for you. If you would like a historic building that fits with the character of this historic neighborhood, close to great restaurants, interesting shops, and beautiful architecture, you may find this place to your liking. We wanted to stay in Downtown Chicago, but this was a much cheaper and convenient alternative in a safe, family-friendly neighborhood, a short drive or El ride from the Loop. So, we recommend it.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank CrocDavy
Rockville, Maryland
Reviewed 23 September 2011

This hotel is in a great location. It is just a few yards from the Hemingway museum and his boyhood home. The El is three short blocks away, and there are several very good restaurants close by as well. There is a restaurant within the building for all meals and a good bar with excellent food and service. It is not, however, affiliated with the hotel. The hotel is in need of a rehabbing. The carpets are worn and not attractive and overall, the place is dark. There is a very small lobby, and the elevators are slow and old. One is a small antique with a sliding gate inside the door that you need to close before the elevator will move. There are non smoking rooms, but my son's smelled like smoke.

But in balance, if all you want is a place to stay in Oak Park (a grand community) and you don't mind paying a more than it should cost, this would be all right.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Andrew20850
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oak Park
West Loop
Hampton Inn Chicago Downtown West Loop

Been to Write Inn? Share your experiences!