“Great Time in Oak Brook”

Harvey House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 3 Oak Park B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 18 July 2013

Spent 2 GREAT nights at the Harvey House Bed & Breakfast in Oak Brook. Beth was wonderful. This is truly a b&b experience were you are a guest in someone's home. The kitchen is open and Beth, her daughter and the young man helping out, NIck, were engaging and engaged with the guests while making wonderful breakfast, served family style in the dining room. The first morning we had the signature oven pancakes and home-made waffles. Nick was in charge of fresh brewed coffey. The second morning we had eggs benedict with Beth's home-made English muffins. Our room was very comfortable. While quite overall, the inn is 1/2 block from the META and other train tracks and you could hear the trains going by. We did not, however, find that objectionable. The Inn is close to downtown. Parking both at the Inn and downtown was very easy. We went to Frank Lloyd Wright's home and studio and did the guided walking tour of Oak Brook (offered only on weekends. The rest of the time it is self guided with headphones). Again, parking was easy and free. The Harvey House Bed & Breakfast is a great place to stay. We highly recommend it.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Golden Crest Room. It is at the front of the house on the second floor. Nice size...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Harvey S

Reviewed 8 July 2013

Beth the owner was extremely kind and helpful. I had a doctor appointment and she offered to take and pick me up, and she did. Breakfast was out of this world no alarms needed just the smell from the kitchen is all you need; waffles, baked pancake, fresh fruit, eggs done to your request, accommodates special diets, yummy stuff. In order to fit me in, I slept in two different room; the Garden and then Jimmy Stewart. Jimmy was by far the best and I was only blocks from the fireworks and the next day farmers market. The other guest were interesting and delightful. Her daughter was home for the summer months from school and provided additional charm and delight. The medical treatments left me exhausted and Beth even went and picked up food I had ordered. The rooms were quite, and I enjoyed the Jacuzzi and fireplace.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 June 2013

The warmth and sophisticated charm of the Harvey House is welcoming and the personal interaction with Beth, the owner, and her lovely daughter Claire makes you feel at home immediately ! On the phone when I made my reservation Beth was a "full service travel agent" giving me marvelous suggestions, (e.g. the architectural boat tour, a play getting great reviews), of what I could do with the time I would have on my own. Beth's gourmet breakfasts give new meaning to the word Breakfast in the category B&B! She creates the most divine and beautiful dishes from her own recipes-- at least three different outstanding creations each morning! There are brownies or a plate of cookies out for a treat at any time you come back to the house. I was given perfect detailed directions for everywhere I wanted to go. The train to downtown Chicago takes only about 25 min. and is a five minute walk from the house. I would seriously think about planning a trip just to stay here and thereby give myself the opportunity to make a return visit to fascinating Chicago!

Room Tip: I stayed in the Golden Chest Room and thought it was lovely. Luxurious Frette towels in the bathroom...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 June 2013

We had a great time here from the moment we stepped in to the house! We were originally looking for a hotel in the city, but the high prices and high parking fees drove us to looking in the Chicago suburbs. We stumbled across this bed and breakfast and it was the best stumble we ever made! Beth was incredibly hospitable and friendly from the beginning and the location makes it so easy to travel in to the city without having to endure the high costs of staying in the city. Beth's homemade breakfast is absolutely delicious and a great start to the day. We stayed in the Garden room and had a Jacuzzi to relax in after a long day of sightseeing downtown. We couldn't have asked for a more relaxing, easygoing time! We plan to stay here anytime we visit Chicago again!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 May 2013

What a wonderful experience!! The Harvey House Bed and Breakfast is indeed a hidden gem. I enjoyed every detail down to the sweet treats and outstanding hospitality. Beth is very accomodating and goes above and beyond to make your stay the best it can be. This was a first visit to a B&B for my Boyfriend and he has now converted to this option over a hotel. He was a little leary at first and was sold at the end of our stay!! The breakfast was creative and delicious to say the least and God only knows how she came up with those pancake balls.... Divine. I highly recommend the Harvey House and can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: The Golden Chest was nice and cozy. Perfect for a couple.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 April 2013

My aunt and I just spent a night in the Oak Park room. Although we're both from the Chicago suburbs, she was interested in following up on an interest she had in Harvey House. This was my first experience at a B&B and it was educational besides being commodious and beautiful. I won't go over the same superlatives as previously mentioned, which I agree with wholeheartedly. This home is truly a work-in-progress and Beth is constantly looking for artful ways to further delight guests. My aunt and I are both looking forward to returning.

Room Tip: It may seem obvious to those who frequent B&Bs, but there are lots of stairs to manage. An issue...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 March 2013

In the classic movie, Harvey, Jimmy Stewart plays a man who introduces every person he meets to his magical 6'3" rabbit, offers them his card and invites them over to his home for dinner. If you think there are no people today that are this nice, then visit Harvey House in Oak Park. Beautifully kept with thoughtfulness everywhere, we enjoyed three mornings of one of a kind breakfasts created by its owner, Beth. Harvey House is on a par with the finest B and B's in Great Britain.
Accessible to Chicago and a quick drive to the United Center, the town of Oak Park is loaded with well kept Victorian houses and the largest collection of Frank Lloyd Wright designed homes anywhere. It boasts a handful of fine restaurants -- try the creme brulee at Hemingways and nachos at Maya.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Write Inn
Write Inn
#2 of 2 in Oak Park
Bishops Hall Bed & Breakfast

Been to Harvey House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!