“Wedding Accomodations”

The Carleton of Oak Park
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Oak Park
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Our stay was phenomenal!! They were flexible with our check out times because of the large wedding party that we had at the hotel. Everyone loved their rooms and the amenities. There was a lot time spent in the two restaurants in the hotel. The rooms were clean and well maintained. The new remodel really amplified the classic and charming location.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 27 May 2014

We stayed this last weekend for a wedding that was in Oak Park! Experienced a rude front desk staff that acted like we were interrupting their pm break by checking in at 3 pm. One had to get up off the chair she was sitting in at the desk, the other had to come out of the back room that was open to us so you could see the guy stretched back in the desk chair looking at us while we were trying to check in. Another associate finally came out and after checking me in I had to ask her for the keys to our room as she forgot to give them to me and when I did she rolled her eyes and gave me a dirty look. When we walked to the elevator another associate came up and said "Well she is foreign, she doesn't mean to be rude she just comes across that way. (perhaps she should find another occupation) I informed her that I didn't care where she was from she didn't have to be rude.
Our rooms were directly over the ballroom~ another reception was going on and the music playing/the bass was so loud everything in our room vibrated. after 2 calls to the desk and a request to move rooms we were told well we do a ton of wedding here so what do you expect and that there was nothing that they could do about anything. The walls paper thin, the door to our room didn't fit the threshold so we had light coming in all night from the hallway and every time someone walked (or rather ran/ children ) you could hear everything. ~I did at one point yell for the kids to stop running up and down the hallway, luckily I didn't even have to get out of bed to do that as the wells were so thin everyone heard me. We paid $200 to get no sleep. they might be the only game in Oak Park so you would think that such a beautiful facility would take more pride in their hotel and treat their guest like guests instead of paychecks.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
3  Thank M T
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I had to travel for business to Chicago at short notice, and all of the reasonable hotels in town were booked solid due to a Restaurant convention and probably graduation. The Oak Park Carleton was offered up by my corporate booking search engine, and I took a peek at reviews. So glad I chose it!
My room was so spacious and comfortably appointed. The bed was a little firm for my taste, but I was exhausted and slept well despite that. The bathroom was huge- giant double sink counter, jacuzzi tub and separate shower. With the mini kitchen and that spacious room and bath, I wished I was staying a little longer and had company.
Needed to go downtown for business dinner and front desk got me a cab ahead of time. Cab ride cost was reasonable and gave me a safe comfortable way to get downtown.
Had breakfast in attached restaurant "Poor Phils" and it was delicious and had great, friendly service.

Room Tip: as for a room in the "old hotel building" in the corner- I think the corner rooms must be...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Management has a jewel here, too bad their staff has a 'can't do' attitude. Front desk staff was okay, but the attached restaurant Poor Phil's really needs to have a customer service seminar for its staff. We had to walk out the first time after we sat for 15 minutes without a waitperson coming to our table. At breakfast, where there was a sparse outdoor crowd on a beautiful day, I had to actually go inside and ask for someone to come take our order. Food is excellent at PP's, but service really is quite terrible, worst I've seen in years.

Hotel-stay in main building. Elevator smells of fried fish, and is very small, maybe can accommodate 4 people, 2 with bags. Room is nice size, floors creak but it's very old so that is kind of charming. Mgmt should add a couple bottles of water for new guests, and add a trash receptacle to little bathroom anteroom. Beds were comfortable, and location can't be beat. Great for walking around to cute shops, great restaurants nearby. Walls seem to be thin, we could hear other guests, and we had a corner room (309). Not ADA compliant, 2 sets of 3 steps to navigate. Kitchenette (which we didn't use), sitting room, clean, close to train, Frank Lloyd Wright house. Might stay again, might explore other options, as we will be in the area frequently over next four years (daughter in medical school).

1  Thank brucemitchell108
CarletonHotel, Guest Relations Manager at The Carleton of Oak Park, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Thank you for your recent visit to the Carleton of Oak Park and for sharing your experience. I would like to apologize for any inconveniences you may have experienced during your stay. We truly appreciate your business and constantly strive to improve our property and guest services. I will also forward your comments to the management team at Poor Phil's, as they are a privately owned business. I hope you will consider returning to the Carleton and give us the opportunity to serve you better.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

We stayed at the Carleton for one night this past weekend. We had pre-booked a room in the motel in the back, but were able to get an upgrade to a room in the Main building. The room was not like your typical Holiday or Hampton Inn. 4 poster bedroom; Armoire TV stand. Comfortable bed. Competitive pricing-we stayed in a Hampton Inn near O'Hare the night before. This was only $10 more, but much nicer. Did miss the breakfast. Will definitely stay again. The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. The only 'negative' is there are 2 places where there are stairs on the 1st floor, so if you have bags on a cart, you have to keep using an elevator.

1  Thank rentsellbuy
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Just spent two nights with my sister at The Carleton of Oak Park which resulted in two nights of very little sleep. Our neighbor next door had his/her TV on all night up until 3:00 PM with the volume turned on high. The walls seem to be very thin and we could hear every sound and words from their TV. First night we let it go but the next night my sister called the front desk to complain and have this problem resolved. After waiting for about 30 minutes for the noise next door to quiet down which did not happened, my sister called the front desk about it to find out that a staff member stood outside the door of this neighbor and heard nothing. So nothing was done. Never had such a bad experience like this before. We told the front desk about our experience when we were checking out.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Ellen H
CarletonHotel, Guest Relations Manager at The Carleton of Oak Park, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Thank you for your recent visit to the Carleton of Oak Park and for sharing your experience. We apologize for any inconvenience during your stay and appreciate your comments and suggestions. We are constantly striving to improve our property and the service we provide our guests. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better experience in the future.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

We stayed in the hotel, the historical property. Originally built as a residential hotel, the rooms remain large, with a big kitchenette (under counter refrigerator), roomy bathroom, and a main room that includes a sitting area and a table. In our room, every detail was perfect, from the molding around the ceiling to the light fixtures, wall coverings and bedding. The bath was done with perfect period tile. The hotel has options for eating, but we went out to explore the neighborhood. Within a couple of easy blocks are a number of good places for any meal of the day. It is only three blocks to the station to take the train downtown, or the same distance in another direction to take a bus. We walked to the Frank Lloyd Wright house, Unity Temple and the many historical houses. We can't wait to stay again.

Room Tip: Be sure you ask for the hotel, which is historical. The discount rates are for the adjacent motel, w...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MNMarie
CarletonHotel, Guest Relations Manager at The Carleton of Oak Park, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, we truly appreciate it. We're pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay here and look forward to making future stays memorable as well!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Oak Park
Write Inn
#2 of 2 in Oak Park
O'Hare
Holiday Inn Chicago O'Hare
Holiday Inn Chicago O'Hare
#140 of 191 in Chicago

Been to The Carleton of Oak Park? Share your experiences!