“Nicely preserved older hotel. Exceeded expectations.”

The Carleton of Oak Park
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Oak Park
Appleton, Wisconsin
“Nicely preserved older hotel. Exceeded expectations.”
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

Had many reservations about staying at this hotel having read many of the posts here on tripadvisor. I had no reason to be concerned. This is a lovely old property, well-maintained, clean and comfortable. Was only there one night, however everyone we dealt with was most pleasant and helpful. Arrived before noon, because we were going to a show that afternoon in Berwyn. Despite the early arrival, they had a room ready to go.

I had a two bed deluxe room booked. The decor was much better than the picture on the website. With refrigerator, microwave, dishes, et all it was far more room than we needed for one night. However, I'm very glad we booked there. Will stay there again next year!

Stayed July 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Md/DC
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Loved this hotel but really needed a quick breakfast and none to be found. Yes, there is a place somewhat connected but they didn't feel open or welcoming at all. More of bar with seafood for the evening not a breakfast place.

The hotel is beautiful, although the young man at the reception really might want to look up at customers from his iphone. I am sure his iphone is fascinating but really my bags are heavy and I'd just like to get to my room, if that's ok? Once I did it was lovely...

Room Tip: Stay in the main building, its really updated and historic, best of both worlds!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
CarletonHotel, Guest Relations Manager at The Carleton of Oak Park, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Thank you for your recent review, I'm glad you enjoyed our boutique hotel and property! Your kind words are appreciated and your suggestions will help us to better serve our guests. Just to clarify, there are two restaurants located within the hotel that offer food service. The restaurant associated with the hotel is Barclay's American Grille, which serves dinner only. The second is a privately owned business, Poor Phil's, which offers breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Thank you again, please feel free to contact us directly if we can be of any service to you in the future.
Oak Park
Reviewed 16 June 2014

A very nice hotel with good service and friendly staff. The hotel I located in a nice and quieted neighborhood close to the train to downtown Chicago. There is good opportunities to find nice resultant close by.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Thank Jens Ole Aagaar... J
Reviewed 14 June 2014

great location one block away from train one block away from eateries and small shopping. Room is quaint has everything you need and is very clean.Bathroom is very small. We stayed in the motor lodge. I'd stay here again especially if the rate were reduced.

• Stayed June 2014
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

This was our first visit to Chicago and although the location to the green train (Harlem station) was convenient, the 25 minutes ride was not ideal. We wished we had picked a hotel downtown and be able to get back at any time of the day.

Hotel is antique and room was comfy. Unfortunately, we had a view on the building next door which was really close, so we kept the curtains on at all times.

I agree with previous comments, most front desk staff is not friendly. Unable to get a smile from the 3 men at reception. Luckily, the 2 ladies we saw during our stay were great.

Oak park is a nice and quiet neighborhood. If you visit Oak park, I would book this hotel. If planning to be in the city, I would look elsewhere.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
In Minnesota
Reviewed 12 June 2014

We stayed at the motor lodge for 3 nights for a family vacation. It was an easy two block walk to the CTA green line station. We bought a three day CTA pass at the CVS on the corner and enjoyed hassle free train rides into downtown Chicago. The refrigerator and microwave came in handy for breakfast as I brought our own breakfast foods along. The room was very nice. As far as noise, it was better than other places I have stayed at since the rooms opened up to a outdoor courtyard instead of a hallway. The front desk staff were very friendly and helpful.We stayed here for three nights for what it would cost for one night in downtown Chicago. I would definitely recommend staying here.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 6 June 2014

First when I arrived I noticed there was no parking at the hotel itself.. I had to use one of their parking lots a block from the hotel. Not to nice when I have to have access to the car and have luggage.

Second. I had a fair amount of luggage and had to figure where the hotel entry was - then go down several steps to the reception lobby to check in. I had to lug my luggage down the stairs as there is no ramp to wheel it down. Then I discovered to get to the elevator to get to the third floor I had to ascend another stair case with my bags to get to the elevator.

I noticed a guest at the reception desk complaining that she had no internet access. And guess what - when I got to my room I also had no internet access. I am in business and if a hotel does not have reliable guest internet access I do not want to stay there.

I actually logged onto a free restaurant hotspot next door to get access.

The best part was when I checked in the room was freezing as the air conditioning was of full blast. It is about 56 degrees here tonight. I can't tell you the temp in the room as the thermostat is an old one without a digital readout nor a thermometer. I called the front desk who did not care about the internet access and as per the heat they told me the engineers told them that only the air conditioning was working and if I wanted the room to be warmer to open the windows!!!!

It is such a shame as it is an old historic hotel and could be a gem but the staff isn't even capable of running a hostel which means management is the same or does not care.

What a shame and a waste. I would strongly suggest you find another place and look at the other bad ratings about this place on trip advisor.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Frequent_Traveler_JP
rbiegler, General Manager at The Carleton of Oak Park, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Thank you for your recent visit to the Carleton. I apologize for any inconvenience during your stay and your difficulty in finding parking. The Carleton provides free guest parking in our five parking lots. The lots are located within one block of the hotel, two of the lots are directly adjacent to the property.

The Carleton is on the National Register of Historic places. There are 4 steps descending into the lobby, but the hotel is fully ADA compliant and lifts are provided.

In warm weather, as a comfort to our guests, the guest room pre-cooled prior to arrival, I apologize if your room temperature was not satisfactory.

I would like to invite you back to the Carleton. Please feel free to contact me directly, if you are traveling to the Oak Park area in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oak Park
West Loop
Hampton Inn Chicago Downtown West Loop

Been to The Carleton of Oak Park? Share your experiences!