“Works because not many other options”

The Carleton of Oak Park
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Oak Park
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Stayed here for work a few times. Primarily could use new carpeting. Rooms are all unique layouts. Not deep in amenities, but good beds, bath and facilities. Haven't eaten at places in hotel, but they look attractive and have a steady crowd.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for The Carleton of Oak Park

Reviewed 6 August 2014

This was our 3rd or 4th stay at the Carlton. Our first visit was great. We had an enormous room (almost a suite) that was clean and neat. The size of the room given to us has gotten smaller with every visit. The service has also become hap-hazard over time. The prices, on the other hand have hit the roof . We paid 200+ including taxes etc. for a very small room. The next weekend we stayed in a suite at a Hyatt Regency for 160 + taxes. The Carlton has been the go-to place for us and other family members because we thought it was clean, had great service and the price was right for an older hotel without all the amenities of a Hyatt or Hilton. We may not choose The Carlton next time we are in the area. It's not awful, but it certainly not what it used to be.

Room Tip: Ask how big the rooms are when you book
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank TomiH459
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Very large, well appointed rooms (once a residential hotel). Super clean and spotless bathrooms. Attentive staff. Reminded me of the fifties. Relatively few amenities, no room service other than dinner. Located in a great district, fun to walk around. They provide coffee maker but no creamer. Nice bars and restaurants on site and in vicinity.

Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This is the third time staying at this welcoming and convenient hotel right in the heart of Oak Park. This time suite 412 had been superbly refurbished and felt very luxurious. The decor is smart and comfy but still fits in perfectly with the age and ambiance of the hotel. They haven't tried to make it into an "Anywhere In The World" place. The hotel staff are very helpful and brought more hangers straight away, and couldn't do enough to make my stay perfect.
I didn't eat in Poor Phil's diner this time. What put me off was the awful smell of food frying when you walk through to exit the hotel. Of course if you exit from the other side road, you would avoid this but it's not so convenient if you're being picked up by car. I don't know what could be done to minimise this unpleasant waft, except perhaps having a more efficient extractor fan fitted. Funnily enough I don't remember it being as bad as this on my previous two visits. However, this would never stop me staying here again. I felt so comfortable and at home. Well done, Carleton, I shall return!

Room Tip: I would always ask for a higher floor, and the suites are very good value. But all the rooms look p...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 July 2014

This hotel is close to the el, restaurants, and Frank Lloyd Wright houses. Upon first checking in, I was wary of staying in the single floor out buildings, but upon entering my room it was really cute. King bed, table and chairs, fridge, microwave, plus the usual items. The front desk people were really accommodating and I had no issues with wifi as others had noted. We used the parking for just one night and I'm glad they had lots, because it can be difficult finding street parking. Tons of great restaurants are within walking distance, as is the main reason we were there - FLW homes. I'm glad they let us reuse our towels and linen, but still came in and cleaned the rooms.

Room Tip: Lower cost rooms are in the "out buildings" that are a single floor and they were quite cu...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
CarletonHotel, Guest Relations Manager at The Carleton of Oak Park, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write your recent review and for being our guest! We truly appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you back to the Carleton of Oak Park. Safe travels!

Reviewed 28 July 2014

This was one of the many hotels we stay in as we traveled across country this summer. It did not serve breakfast like the franchise hotels but did have a refrigerator, dishes and a microwave in the room. It offered free parking and It was only 2 blocks from the 'el' transportation into Chicago via the Oak Park stop so we were able to get into the city about 20 minutes away very easily everyday of the vacation. It was located in a nice neighborhood so we felt safe returning late in the evening.
The wifi was free but we had better luck connecting to it in the morning than at night.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 July 2014

This hotel is a scam, they lure you in with gorgeous online photos, attached restaurants and a beautiful entrance/lobby but dont be fooled they will give you a musty dingy smell filled room in the main hotel or a sketchy tasteless room with paper thin walls in the attached motel. At least the rooms in the motel are exceptionally clean wish I could say the same for the main hotel. Its overpriced on top of that

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jeff K
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oak Park
O'Hare
Renaissance Chicago O'Hare Suites Hotel

Been to The Carleton of Oak Park? Share your experiences!