“Always a good choice”

Hilton Garden Inn Chicago / Oakbrook Terrace
United States
“Always a good choice”
Reviewed 4 November 2013

I have never had an issue when staying at a Hilton Garden Inn, this one in Chicago held up to my expectations and previous experiences! I love that there is a restaurant on site as well as a well stocked pantry for those late night snacks.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
La Quinta, California
Reviewed 26 October 2013

I stayed on business here recently and was expecting much more from this hotel. I didn't get a chance to try the fitness center or pool, so I cannot include this in my review.

Most of the front desk people were very helpful. There was one person, a male who did his shift in the evening (didn't see his name tag clearly enough), who was very unhelpful and tended to ignore you when you walked up to ask questions.

Meals - The waitresses were awesome. The buffet breakfast was very, very good. Their lunch and dinner menu is pretty limited.

Do NOT rely on the hotel shuttle. In the evenings its nearly impossible to get on as it fills up quickly. They must run only one, because it takes an hour for it to return for the next group. My advice, rent a car. Not much is within walking distance here - just a theatre.

The computer room is pretty nice - they only have 2 computer stations, but I didn't run into any problems when I had to use it. I mainly used my laptop in the room - great wifi signal.

A HUGE negative was the keycards at this hotel. Thankfully, I was on the first floor, so didn't have to journey downstairs again to get my key fixed in order to enter my room. Every day, and I do mean EVERY day the card would stop working. At one point a manager walked with me to 'watch' me use the card and apologized saying that he'd have the engineer come fix it, then he let me into the room with his own master keycard. I don't know if this engineer even truly existed, because all the front desk people kept telling me...and many other patrons during this stay, that they'd have 'an engineer' come fix it. This was never done.

Another big negative to staying here is the bed and pillows. My bed was lopsided and way, way to soft. I felt like I was trying to sleep on a 30 degree angle with non supportive pillows too. Didn't sleep very well at all, and after the 4th night my back, hip and neck were in extreme pain.

Next trip to the Oakbrook Terrace area, I will not book here if I can help it. Unfortunately, my company oftentimes makes the reservations and goes with certain hotels. If they book here again, I will do everything in my power to request a different hotel. There has to be better in the same price range...

Room Tip: Until they solve the keycard problem, stay on the 1st floor. Its a shorter journey back to the front...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Chris H, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Chicago / Oakbrook Terrace, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
Thank you for your review. I am disappointed to hear of your experience with us and have begun looking into the key issue as we regularly service our system. Our beds are adjustable for firmness, and there are times the settings are not set back to a neutral position which in this case would be our error and will be fixed immediately. I apologize for your experience and hope you will allow us another chance to serve you. I can be contacted directly for any assistanc with this.

Queretaro
Reviewed 25 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed there for a pleasure weekend trip, reception personnel was courteous and willing to help, the facility is nice and clean and so are the rooms. The hotel is very conveniently located, overall a very nice and comfortable stay

• Stayed October 2013
Plainfield, United States
Reviewed 23 October 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn, Oakbrook, IL. in October, 2013. We were there for my niece's wedding, along with many other family members. Our room was large, clean, and well-equipped, and the king bed was really comfortable. Sadly, the people in the next room allowed their noisy children to run loose (which was annoying), but since we were going to be at the wedding reception much of the time, we didn't let it bother us. Breakfast the next morning was very good (breakfast buffet offered...not complimentary) and wait staff was friendly and competent. Rates were much lower than we would have expected, and we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family

Jackson
Reviewed 20 October 2013 via mobile

Nice but for a Hilton , I was a little disappointed. Bed was a little too soft therefore my back is hurting. The bathtub was very slow draining. The breakfast was good but kind of expensive at right $15.00 for only one person. The A/C would not go below 70 degrees. Otherwise, the staff was very friendly and the rooms were spacious and clean.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Kirby P
Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Attended a seminar at the Hotel. Was give an early check-inn and access to the complimentary Wi-Fi in the hotel at 08:15 prior to the start of the seminar. Friendly staff. Rooms are a nice size, sunny with a comfortable working desk. Bathroom is very small. Breakfast very basic and expensive. All the staff were very friendly and helpful. Will definitely stay here again when I am in the area.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank knowtel
Wheaton, United States
Reviewed 10 October 2013

When my family and I stayed at this hotel they told us that we could have a roll away. When we got there they told us that there was no roll away on the premises. For the price I thought that it was a little expensive and the cost of the King and double were different. I have never stayed at a hotel that the King and 2 doubles were not the same price. We were there for a wedding. Needless to say we will probably never stay there again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Chris H, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Chicago / Oakbrook Terrace, responded to this review, 11 October 2013
Thank you for your review. We do not have rollaways as our rooms have either 2 beds or a pull out couch and a HGI room will not allow for a rollaway. I am sorry for this confusion and we will address with our central reservations team as it sounds like you may have been misinformed. Please accept our apologies and we hope you will reconsider HGI for your future travel plans.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Oakbrook Terrace
Doubletree Hotel Chicago Oak Brook
The Drake Hotel - Oak Brook
The Hyatt Lodge at McDonald's Campus
Le Meridien Chicago - Oakbrook Center

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Chicago / Oakbrook Terrace? Share your experiences!