“Highly Disappointing”

Holiday Inn Chicago Oakbrook
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I had booked a king room. When I checked in, I was given a double bed room. Upon mentioning that to the front desk, I was told "We dont have any king rooms available for the night". This was in spite of I paying extra to book a king room. I was told, "please talk to the general manager tomorrow morning".
Next morning, when I spoke to the general manager, I was told "We guarantee the room, but not room type". It was a very rude response to the problem I had faced. So, don't trust these guys to give you what you have booked.

Overall also, this hotel is bit outdated and the rooms are very small. There are many better hotels in the area. Stay away from this one.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Shalind
Anthony Q, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago Oakbrook, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Dear Shalind,

Thank you for submitting a review on your recent stay with us. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know how it went. We are sorry that you had an issue with your room type. The GM explained the situation best we could as you mentioned and unfortunately that was the type of reservation you had. We are also sorry that overall you had a disappointing stay and though the hotel was a bit outdated.

Thank you again for the comments and we loved hosting your stay.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Traveled by car and plane, selected location as it was right down the road from my first meeting in the AM. Arrived during rush hour, imagine my surprise to find a Bar Louie at the location! No need to go back out in traffic simply go down have an ice cold drink and a meal. Everyone from the front desk to the bar staff were very pleasant. As with other reviews the property could use a rehab and upgrade ... in room A/C units are noisey at night and lack of bathroom ventalation results in ceiling mold that can't be removed. Beds while comfortable could use an upgrade in sheets they were scratchy. Nice stop for a quick trip.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear Londa R,

Thank you letting us know how your stay with us went. We appreciate your comments as they let us know how we did hosting your stay. That is awesome that you chose our hotel. Sounds like it was a convenient location being right next to your meeting area. Yay! Glad you enjoyed the location and the pleasant staff. We are though unhappy that you had issues with the loudness of the A/C unit, lack of ventilation in the bathroom, and the scratchy sheets. We wish we could have prevented those issues and made it a better stay for you.

Thank you once again for your comments.

Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here with a group. My husband insisted that we had to. So we did. The staff was great. But.... The property needs some major upgrades and hit the refresh button! Great location to shopping, restaurants. The actual property just needs some updating. There are too many competing hotels in that range that offer bigger rooms, free breakfast and are newer. This one has no lobby to congregate when hosting a group. The Bar Louie was literally booming every night. It wasn't busy, but it was rocking loud, obnoxious music nightly. I wish there was a more family friendly option to utilize .
It was loud above the bar as well, some of our group members asked to be moved. The elevators are slow. Several of us experienced small bites on our legs... Scratching etc. not sure what this was from. The bathroom was very small with no counter space, toilet tan constantly. I have to say that the cleaning staff did a great job and with the rooms. They looked as good as they could. Beds were fairly comfortable.

• Stayed: July 2014

Dear Missouri64,

Thank you for submitting a review on your recent stay at our hotel. We appreciate you taking time to do this. We are happy that you enjoyed our staff, convenience to shopping, and our comfortable beds. Although, we are disappointed that you thought the property needed updating and had issues with the volume of the Bar music, counter space, bites on your legs, and the toilet. That is a list of issues. Wow. We wish we could have done a better job hosting your group. Your comments will be passed on to the appropriate departments so they know your concerns.

We would love if your group chose to stay with us again as we loved hosting you.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

Robert Wood is the best when it comes to accommodating when problems arise. I got married at this hotel and started the planning of it from GA in Jan. There were several issues over 6 months of planning. The honeymoon suites (both of them) were given away to another bride/groom that weren't even having her wedding at the hotel. I was not notified of it until 2 months after booking. Robert created a honeymoon suite for me and it was beautiful. I loved it. I had more than enough room with 2 bathrooms. The room set up could have been a little different, but that was discussed in person with the hotel. There were times that Robert was not available when I needed him via phone. There were several times that meetings with my wedding planner were rescheduled. But in the end when we arrived from GA, Robert pulled everything together. He was available at all times during my stay at the hotel. If we needed anything he got it done or did it himself. The overall price of everything was amazing as well. I was completely surprised when it came to the ballroom and how amazingly beautiful it was. They went above and beyond for my wedding. I would definitely recommend this place as long as Robert is there helping you through it all. Robert was the key to it all

Room Tip: Corner suites are much larger than other rooms.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear Cdunowsemran,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. We appreciate your comments and take them seriously. We are very happy that Robert took care of you and had a great stay with us. That is fantastic that you got married here. Congratulations. We loved hosting your wedding and everything to do with it. We will pass on your kind comments to Robert as he should know what a great job he did.

Again, thanks for choosing our hotel to have your wedding at. Shall you come back to our area please keep us in mind.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

Loved the location of this hotel. Will be on the top of my list for any trip to Chicago. Clean and affordable. Tons of restaurants around the hotel and comes with a great bar (Bar Louie) inside the hotel. Wish I had more time to check out more places to dine.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Anthony Q, Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago Oakbrook, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Dear David K,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. Your input is valuable to us as we want to know how our guests felt during their stays. We are glad you enjoyed the location and affordable pricing of the room. Also, happy that you got to enjoy our Bar Louie bar and restaurant.

Thank you again for the great comments and we hope we can host you again in the near future.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Has a great location, close to the restaurants and shopping malls. The room was just ok but clean. The only thing I did not like about the room is, it is a family room connected to another room, which means that there is somebody behind the door and there is no privacy. The best part of the hotel is the restaurant. The prices are very reasonable and has a very good breakfast buffet.

Room Tip: Ask for a room which is not connected to another.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Arzu K,

Thank you for letting us know how your recent stay with us went. We appreciate it greatly as your input helps us in knowing how we are doing. It looks like we did our jobs and made the both of you happy customers. We are happy that you both enjoyed our great location and breakfast buffet in our restaurant.

Again, thank you for the review and hope to see you again sooner than later.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Our stay was great, but when we returned home we noticed a discrepancy in our statement. Immediately it was taken care of (Thanks, Jim!) and in a friendly way. I always appreciate good customer service!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear MKTonia,

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review on your recent stay at our hotel. That's wonderful that you had a great stay. We are glad that you enjoyed it and got to experience our good customer service and wonderful staff.

Again, thank you for the review and we hope to see you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Oakbrook Terrace
Comfort Suites Oakbrook Terrace
Comfort Suites Oakbrook Terrace
#4 of 8 in Oakbrook Terrace
Hilton Chicago Oak Brook Suites
Hilton Chicago Oak Brook Suites
#1 of 8 in Oakbrook Terrace
Hilton Garden Inn Chicago / Oakbrook Terrace
Hilton Garden Inn Chicago / Oakb...
#2 of 8 in Oakbrook Terrace
Hyatt Place Chicago/Lombard
Doubletree Hotel Chicago Oak Brook
Courtyard Chicago Oakbrook Terrace
Courtyard Chicago Oakbrook Terra...
#3 of 8 in Oakbrook Terrace

Been to Holiday Inn Chicago Oakbrook? Share your experiences!