Brightwood Inn
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Pool
Tiki Motel(LaSalle)
View Hotel
All reviewsstarved rockmatthiessen state parkb bmallory squaregreat getawaynight minimumbay windowuptown grillsequoia roomjacuzzi tubbreakfast was deliciousfiltered waterenjoyed our stayturkey subgreat hostsspent two nightswine fest
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 September 2013

I stayed four nights at Brightwood Inn in the golden and green countryside near Starved Rock State Park. The rooms and entire Inn were peaceful and clean. Best of all, were the owners, Sharon and Kevin, who did all the care and nurturing of guests themselves. Kevin is a fabulous cook, making original and delicious breakfasts like Peach Melba Casserole. Sharon serves the wide variety of home-made food, as well as baking many of the homemade muffins. Best of all, Sharon and Kevin are healers in how they care for their guests. I went there needing a rest and kind attention and I received it on every level. All guests will return to their daily lives after their stay at Brightwood Inn, and they will be kinder in the world for having had their experiences there.

Room Tip: All rooms are beautiful. Upstairs rooms have a far view of the land.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank JessicaWatson2013
Reviewed 24 July 2013

We also were there this past weekend(like zoonkauj) and I agree with her assessment.
It is in an out of the way area, but if you are going to one of the state parks, it's a great place to stay. We were in the Vieux Carre Room, which is on the first floor and very spacious, with a small, private deck, over-looking the grounds. Friendly, helpful service, they served us breakfast early, so we could go to the Z Tour Charity bike ride early in the morning.

Room Tip: If you have trouble with stairs, the rooms on the first floor are perfect. Spacious and surprisingly quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RandR101
Reviewed 22 July 2013

We've just returned from a weekend at the Brightwood Inn.
We stayed in the Mallory Room and it definitely met our expectations. The bedroom and bathroom were both clean and the toiletries were an added bonus. Thought the inn wouldn't be considered "child-friendly" my 6 year old can't wait to go back. It has the feel of a home away from home.
The sitting room has board games, card games, and movies when we decided to stay in. She also enjoyed exploring the building and the grounds. She especially liked the cold soda and cookies available in the dining room/library.
The breakfast each morning was exceptional. There was the daily options of fruit, cereal, homemade granola, and homemade coffee cake or muffins. This isn't including the hot entree that the staff brought out to you. The entrees were great!
To address of the issue of the previous reviewer on the attitude of the owner Jo: My perception is that her personality applies to the old saying, "to know her is to love her". I don't expect everyone who owns a business to be all smiles and I think she does try. It doesn't come natural to some people and we have to make concessions for people.
The rest of the staff was great. Of all people, my daughter really like the housekeeper. She was very friendly and went out of her way to make everyone's stay comfortable. At one point, she even asked an elderly duo to let her know when they were leaving and she'll bring their bags down to their car. My daughter made a point to say "bye" before leaving.
We will definitely be returning to Brightwood Inn!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank zoonkauj
Reviewed 14 July 2013

This place is not cleaned as it should be. We had a spider web on the ceiling fan, uncleaned toilet seat and a purging jacuzzi. If that is not enough the owner was not willing to make this wrong, right. She seemed bothered with us. She was rude and insulting to my husband . It appeared to me she was prejudice and did not have a welcoming personality in the least. We ended up checking out after 1 night of a 3 night reservation. She also did not want to give us the remainder of our deposit for she said she had to look into it. I asked her if she was the owner and she said yes, then I said I need an answer now. She ended up crediting us the remainder of our deposit and took off for the jacuzzi. The point is I felt like we had to fight for that, she has no customer service skills nor even an ounce of professionalism. This was such a disappointment. I sure hope they realize now they need to clean out their jacuzzi's more frequently or at least check up on their cleaning staff.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank cbmqp
starvedrock, General Manager at Brightwood Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2013

Dear Disappointing,

Hello, my name is Sharon and I am the General Manager here at Brightwood. I am very sorry to hear that your stay was not all that it should be. We have a new housekeeper. At the time you stayed she had been here all of 4 days. Unfortunately on that Monday I had to be out of town. I did not get to check your room before you checked in. I can assure you that we have a good reputation for cleanliness.

I did check thru the records and I see that Jo returned your deposit and charged you for one night in a non hot tub room. I know that she apologized profusely and offered you another room. Please know that we are in the business of hospitality and have been for 17 years. We do our best to see that everyone has a great experience. Again I am sorry that yours was less that 5 stars fantastic. If you call me at 815-667-4600 i will make it up to you. I promise!

Reviewed 12 June 2013

We had a wonderful stay here.We had the door county room as we were on a limited budget, but it was very comfortable. Breakfast was great. Loved Johns Bailey's french toast. Weather was not biker friendly but we made do. Next time we are getting the hot tub suite. See you soon.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple