Dumfries House Lodge
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Cumnock
See available hotels
Railway Hotel(Auchinleck)
Royal Hotel(Cumnock)
  • Breakfast included
  • Room Service
All reviewswoodlands restaurantthe main housefour poster bedb bwalled gardenroll top bathprince charlesself cateringchippendale furnituregrand tourbig housebreakfast is servedhouse tourbreakfast roomtwo nightsprivate tourfirst class
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 25 March 2013

We spent two nights at the Lodge under the care of Mark and Fiona. It was a very special experience, every detail was perfect. The rooms are warm and comfortable, furnished with antiques, proper feather duvets and the best shower we have ever had in the U.K. There are two lounges downstairs for guests use and they are relaxing and comfortable. Whilst staying there we did the tour of Dumfries House which we would highly recommend. We had dinner at "The Library" restaurant in Dumfries House which was also a delight. Had the weather been warmer we would have enjoyed going for more walks on the 2,000 acre estate.

Room Tip: We had Room 2 which is a smaller room but it made us use the lounges downstairs and mix with other guests.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Merribel
mark r, Manager at Dumfries House Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2013

On behalf of all the staff here at the Lodge I would like to thank you for your kind review. We hope to see you again in the future. Mark

Reviewed 19 March 2013

After a long drive it was a real joy to arrive to a roaring fire and warm welcome from the host Mark. Beautifully furnished but also comfortable and homely this lodge has a lovely feel. We stayed here for 2 nights using one of the doubles (with the most amazing bathroom!) and the twin room in the attic. It felt more like staying at someone's house than a hotel but we still got the fluffy bathrobes! Breakfast was home made in the kitchen right next to the dining room where we ate which again gave the feeling of being a house guest. A good choice and well prepared. We really enjoyed having the lounge spaces as well and even though the rooms were mostly full you still felt like there was plenty of room and privacy if needed. Mark was very helpful arranging our tour of Dumfries House which I think is only open on the weekend. It was exciting to see all the new facilities being developed around the estate and it will be good to return to see the plans coming together. The grounds are worth exploring and while the lodge itself is next to the road it still feels quite secluded. Looking forward to returning on our next visit to Scotland.

Room Tip: I stayed in the attic room with twin beds. I thought this would mean it wasn't as luxurious as the doubles but it felt just as special. It could be a bit of a squeeze for 2 adults in here but the bathroom is really large.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
mark r, Manager at Dumfries House Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2013

Thank you for your wonderful review. Here at the lodge we try our hardest to make you feel at home and we actively encourage the use of the lounges. We want you to feel like its your home for the duration of the stay.
Hope to see you soon. Mark and the Team..

Reviewed 18 March 2013

I stayed for a week at the self-accommodation cottage. I felt at home straight away and Mark is a great host. It is furnished with great taste, and very peaceful. Although only an hour away from Glasgow on the train, it is the most peaceful retreat. A visit to Dumfries House is a must and the grounds all around are beautiful.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Nadege D
mark r, Manager at Dumfries House Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2013

thank you so much for this fantastic review. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay here with us. Kindest regards Mark.

Reviewed 15 March 2013

I'm well travelled and it takes a lot for me to gush. However, as soon as I stepped over the threshold of Dumfries House Lodge, I could see (and feel) that a great deal of thought, time, effort and care has been taken to ensure everything was tip-top from initial arrival to my departure. Mark Robson is obviously not an award-winning host just for fun; so never let his measured and professional demeanour mislead you into thinking he is anyone other than a true connoisseur. I was invited to treat the Lodge as a home-from-home from the word go and felt welcome and entirely comfortable throughout my stay. I had two of the best nights sleep ever and will be seriously trying to track down and buy the same particular mattress for myself. Thank you.

Room Tip: Push the boat out and go for the four poster bedroom. The bathroom alone will knock your socks off and is large enough to host a party within...if you're that way inclined, of course!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Equestrian_Advnturer
mark r, Manager at Dumfries House Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2013

Thank you for your fantastic review and a huge thank you for your kind comments regarding myself.. We really enjoy people make this their home when they stay. I hope to have the pleasure of your company again soon. regards Mark and all the staff.

Reviewed 14 March 2013

It's really hard to believe that this property opened again just under a year ago. The furnishings are lovely: period-appropriate with all modern comforts (including in-room flat screen TV and pod-coffee/tea maker). The breakfast has many well-considered options, which are prepared to order before you, in surroundings that make the day ahead full of promise. It really is that kind of place. My only nit was the auto "puffs" of room perfume given by those little plastic vaporizers. Out of place and perhaps not well-recommended for those with allergies. I just tried to stay out of range, and looked instead at historic art, well-chosen sconces, and antique boots.

Room Tip: Room 1 had a view towards the road. That was fine. It was also not over another guest room, but a common area that saw little use, so probably a good spot if you worry that you might be noisy.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
mark r, Manager at Dumfries House Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2013

Thank you for your comments in this review. We do try hard to make everyone's stay here memorable and its important to us that you are made to feel at home. However the comments regarding the room sprays I can fully understand and never thought about people with allergies. I have to stress there were only 2 in the downstairs hall and none in the bedrooms or bathrooms. We only use them at periods of the year were the country air is sometimes full of smells. We like to keep a clean smelling home for ALL to enjoy. you only need to tell me about your allergies and I would have removed them without hesitation. But thank you for bringing this to my attention. Mark