“Very disappointing”
Review of The Otter

The Otter
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Visited The Otter last night with my wife as we had the chance of eating out without the kids. Haven't been here for a few years so we were looking forward to a very good meal after reading other reviews.

Well it must have been a very bad off night for them because from start to finish it was not good at all apart from the beer.

For starters we had Chicken Liver Pate, this was very bitter, the bread was warm so that helped dampen the blow because of the flavour of the Pate.

My wife decided to give the Pie & a Pint for a £10 a go. The pie was a Chicken and Vegetable Pie, this was ok but the chips that came with it were very dry and hard to swallow and most were very hard. I decided to go with a simple choice off the Specials Board. Ham, Egg, Chips and Mushrooms, this was priced at £9.95. This was very disappointing. The Ham ( 3 slices ) apparently hand carved was not appealing, it was brown in colour which made me think it wasnt fresh and had been in the fridge for some time, the chips were dry and hard, the mushroom ( 1 ) was very nice and the 2 eggs??????? Well i needed a straw to eat them, they were so slimey that it just made the whole meal a really poor experience. If it wasnt for a good tasting pint of Guiness i would have left.

Would i recommend this pub / restaurant NO.

There are newer reviews for The Otter

Reviewed 22 March 2014

I use this pub regularly for entertaining whilst on business, the food is always a good standard and the staff are very friendly and attentive.

1  Thank PlymouthYid
Reviewed 12 February 2014

Not much to complain about here! Visited with old friends for dinner and a get-together over an ale. Very pleasant ambience... lots of wood, brass and fire-places. Decent length bar for bar-hanging and good seating areas.

First things first- the ale was in very good form. The Tim Taylor's 'Landlord' was excellent... and it takes a lot for a Yorkshireman to admit that south of The Humber. The bar service was cheerful and personable.

The food was good-quality pub-grub, and the prices what you'd expect. There was a decent selection of wines at pretty decent prices. The food service was pleasant and efficient. We had a youngster with us, and that was no problem.

I thoroughly enjoyed my evening, and if I lived in the area it is a pub I would definitely use regularly.

1  Thank Capnblatch
Reviewed 6 February 2014

Visited here on a Tuesday night with a couple of work colleagues. We weren't too sure what to expect but it turned out to be a very enjoyable experience.
It turns out that Tuesday night is pie and a pint night for £10. The beer we had, a few pints of Otter and Landlords, we're very well kept and we could have sampled more quite easily. The Steak a mushroom pie was really good, the gravy it was in was fantastic.
There is nothing fancy about the place, just a really nice pub with a good local feel. We'll be back to try the ales again and maybe the rest of the menu although I'd happily have the pie again!

1  Thank benny007

Been to The Otter? Share your experiences!