“big mistake”
Review of Essence Suites

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Orland Park
Essence Suites
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Orland Park
Steger, Illinois
“big mistake”
Reviewed 26 February 2014

cheap linen and pillows on the bed, the toilet seat broken, the floor was very cold, the chocolate strawberries were hard and frozen, the refrigerator was unstable / rookie. This was suppose the be a valentine / birthday getaway but it turned into a night mare but we made the best out of it in spike of all the inconvenience.

Room Tip: for the money we spend for the room it wasn't worth it.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank franklin w
TheEssenceSuites, Manager at Essence Suites, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Hi Franklin,

We dislike that you think of your stay here as a big mistake. We are currently updating the rooms and would have loved to move you to another room if it was availablae and you were unsatisfied with your accommodations. We try to accommodate our customers as much as we can. With the weather the way it is outside, floors tend to be cold in general. We refrigerate our strawberries so they can stay as fresh as possible for our customers, but we do not freeze them. Also, I'm not sure what you mean by an unstable or rookie refrigerator. Our appliances are in working condition and our refrigerators are able to keep a certain amount of food (i.e. restaurant leftovers, snacks, cakes, chocolate) cool for our customers. We appreciate your business and apologize for any inconvenience.

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 12 February 2014

First off let me start and say Ashley the desk clerk was great. Thank you Ashley for being so kind to me. I am a Hotel Manager and I will never let a guest stay in a nasty room. The bathroom was nasty and stinky. Ants were underneath the sink outside the bathroom. Trash can had old food stuck in the bottom of it. Hot tub had old candle wax inside and on the side of it. It was just terrible. I have stayed here a few other times and it was great. I can't believe my stay was terrible. I did report all the things to Ashley and she was helpful and did all she could. I wanted to leave but it was freezing outside and my boyfriend had already undressed and got into the steam shower. We live in Hammond Indiana and didn't want to take the drive back. Housekeeping needs better training and Management needs to check rooms behind them. I'm very upset at the Essence suites I really expected so much more. Unbelievable. I did speak to Management at checkout Jay Patel. He did apologize but didn't offer any discounts. I paid $195.00 for a horrible night that was suppose to be a romantic surprise getaway for my Man. Soooooooo dissatisfied.

• Stayed February 2014
4 Thank Jeanetta R
TheEssenceSuites, Manager at Essence Suites, responded to this review, 15 February 2014
Hello Jeanetta,

We appreciate your business and we are sorry you had a negative experience this time. We are glad Ashley could accomodate you. She is a great employee! We will look into your suggetions further. However, we have not had complaints about ants or any bugs before. We have our rooms cleaned thoroughly everyday. We pride ourselves as a clean and romantic spot for our guests. We apologize for any inconvenience. We hope to see you back at Essence soon!

Travellers are raving about these Orland Park hotels

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 20 January 2014

We actually read all the negative reviews and made the decision to go anyway! Terrible mistake. The room we booked was dirty and had such a foul odor that we wanted to leave immediately! We spoke to the front desk staff and they agreed to show us additional rooms. As we viewed two other rooms they were equally as filthy. We weren't able to cancel the entire reservation but we were happy that we only had to stay one night. Each room had strands of hair, cheap hourly motel sheets, and reminisces of guests gone by. If you are looking for the atmosphere of a ghetto paradise this love shack is for you.

5 Thank Karin H
TheEssenceSuites, Owner at Essence Suites, responded to this review, 21 January 2014
Hello Karin,

We want our customers to have a very good experience at Essence. We offered you many options to accomodate your needs. Our rooms are thoroughly cleaned everyday and we do everything we can to provide a positive experience. The many positive reviews we do have can testify to that. Also, we do provide prospective customers free tours of our suites, before any reservation is made, so they can view our suites before they book.
Westfield, Indiana
Reviewed 7 January 2014

I would like to give it a "0", but the system won't let me.

We never made it to the room. On January 3, 2014 I reserved a room for February 14 and February 15, 2014. The room rate on the website was $175. I charged it to my credit card and the system indicated that the room was booked.

Today, January 6, 2014, I received a call from them indicating that they had decided to change the rate for the room that we had reserved for the 14th. It was being changed from $175 per night to $370 per night.

This upset me. The lady on the other end said that they do this every year for Valentine's Day. So, I asked why doesn't your website reflect that in the pricing? It sounds like "bait and switch" since they know the rates will double (and then some). She indicated that they reserve the right to increase rates. I countered with the elements of a contract being offer (a room for $175) and acceptance (my credit card)...she didn't understand what I was trying to tell her.

The biggest issue here is that the management KNOWS that their rates will be at least doubled on 2/13, 2/14, and 2/15, but they STILL PUBLISH THE REGULAR RATES. They wait a few days for you to get your baby sitters, pet sitters, house sitters, and other arrangements set up, then they call you to tell you the amount they really plan to charge you,

By the way, I just looked at their website (and captured a picture of it). The rates for February 13, 14, 15, 2014 are STILL LISTED AS $175 per night.

The good news is that I found the reviews for this place and decided it's a good thing that we aren't going there now. (Divine Intervention?)

BUYER BEWARE!!!!

8 Thank cindy l
TheEssenceSuites, Manager at Essence Suites, responded to this review, 6 February 2014
Hi Cindy,

It seems you are upset so we would like to clear up any misunderstandings. After we received your reservation on Jan. 3, we sent you an email right away, on Jan. 3 confirming your reservation. At the bottom of the email it clearly states that there would be a price increase over Valentin'e Day weekend:

"Thank you for your online reservation. Just to inform you there will be
a price increase for valentine's day considering that day is
considered to be a holiday. Once we are made aware of what the
increase will be we will inform you. If you have any questions please
feel free to contact us at (708)403-3300"
We wanted to inform you about the price increase immediately so there was no misunderstanding later.

We called on Jan. 6 to inform you of the new price and to make sure you had seen the policy stated in the confirmation email sent on Jan. 3.

We value you our customers and their service. We would never try to trick a customer or be sneaky. Therefore, we try to make our policies as clear as possible and send you information via email and a phone call. Also, we did not charge your credit card for the rooms.

Thank you for pointing out the price rates on our website. We will make sure they are updated soon.
We apologize for any inconvenience or misunderstandings. Have a great day!
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 6 January 2014

If I could have given 0 stars I would have. My husband and I visited this past weekend for our first wedding anniversary. We were initially excited upon arriving as the room seemed nice (if not slightly outdated). We began our evening in the whirlpool. As we filled up the tub we found two hairs in it (one head hair, one not). We took this in stride, disposed of it and put it out of our minds. I also saw head hair on the bathroom floor but chose to ignore that as well.

After that we moved to the bed and almost immediately I notice the fleece mattress covering under the fitted sheet poking it. I saw a few hairs and pulled the sheet back and was disgusted to find tons of hair (again, both head hair and "other" hair). We had been there about 2 hours and called the front desk. The girl at the front desk offered to upgrade us to another room, which we accepted.

Upon moving to the other room, I immediately pulled back the sheets to find that the sheets in the new room were just as bad as the first room. At that point we packed up and left, too disgusted to stay. I can imagine had we moved to a third room what that would have been like too.

We went back to the office to explain the situation and let the clerk know that we would be leaving (after only 3 hours). We inquired about a refund and the clerk said that we would have to talk to the Manager about it. She said he would be in the next day at 10am. We unfortunately spent our anniversary night at my mother-in-law's as we live in the city and weren't going to drive in the snow all the way back to our place.

We went in the next morning and, surprise, the Manager was not in. The girl at the front desk told us that the Manager is not in on Sundays, even though we were assured the night before that he would be in. She called him for us and explained the situation and initially he agreed to refund our money, except for a $50 cancellation fee. My husband explained that we didn't cancel (though we were only able to stay for about 3 hours), it was unsanitary for us to stay there. After some argument he finally agreed to refund us fully.

I will NEVER return to this place and I will let anyone know who asks that they shouldn't waste their money either. The Manager assured us that this has never happened before, but based on other reviews and a conversation with an ex-employee I've found out that it happens a lot, if not all of the time.

Don't waste your money or risk ruining your special night.

Room Tip: Make sure you thoroughly check your room for cleanliness before deciding to stay.
4 Thank Erin M
TheEssenceSuites, Owner at Essence Suites, responded to this review, 11 January 2014
We are very sorry about your recent experience at Essence. We hope that you will allow us to give you a better night's stay. We will be in touch to rectify this situation.
Sturtevant, Wisconsin
Reviewed 2 January 2014

What was to be a romantic night away turned into the worst night away. The room smelled of smoke(non smoking room), the whirlpool had hair and white stuff in in. Ants in the room (Jan 1st 2014) The man at office only had to say did you call the office we could have changed your room, that would have been fine but we had the best room that they offer. He also said we could come back ,to which my husband said I will never get my wife to step foot on property again which is true. It was just trashy and nothing like they show on internet. Also the fireplace rattled all night as if people were banging on pots and pans. Please don't waste your time or money at this place. It was horrible from start to finish, couldn't wait to get out. Terrie Gillett

1 Thank Terrie H
TheEssenceSuites, Manager at Essence Suites, responded to this review, 4 January 2014
Terrie - so sorry you had such a unpleasant experience at Essence! Our rooms are sanitized and cleaned daily, and had we known that you were unhappy or experiencing these issues - we would have immediately rectified them for you.
Hammond, Indiana
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Our stay was very romantic. We were celebrating my husband's birthday and we just were just married a few weeks before. The room was so clean and the whirlpool was very relaxing. I would recommend this location to anyone . I'm sure we will return for our anniversary.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Theresa T
TheEssenceSuites, Owner at Essence Suites, responded to this review, 13 October 2013
Hi! So glad you enjoyed your stay at Essence Suites! Happy b-day to your husband! We look forward to making your anniversary a night to remember. Thank you for your kind words, we love seeing happy customers. Come back and visit again :) E.S.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orland Park
#3 of 3 in Orland Park
Wingate by Wyndham Tinley Park
Hilton Garden Inn Chicago/Tinley Park
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Tinley Park

Been to Essence Suites? Share your experiences!