Holiday Inn Express Chicago-Oswego
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Oswego
Reviewed 19 March 2011

So a co-worker of mine is a huge Holiday Inn fan so for the last few months I have stayed at numerous Holiday Inn & Holiday Inn Express'. I was here last week and was a bit underwhelmed by this location based on recent experiences with Holiday Inns. The room was sufficient. I was in a double queen, I get whatever room is available because I usually just sleep a night then move on. This time I was in town for a couple of days.
PRO's- Nice staff and decent price. Refrigerator and microwave in room.
CON's- Not as nicely appointed as other HIE's that I have stayed in. Internet was slooow-my wireless card was faster. Vending machines robbed me a couple of times. Location-close enough to restaurants and shopping but I felt like I was in the country. Breakfast-Ehh, didn't expect mom's breakfast but again not what I was used to based on stays at other Holiday Inn's/Express'.
Summary-OK hotel in a small city. Would stay closer to Chicago and commute on next visit.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business

Reviewed 10 May 2010

This was our first stay at a Holiday Inn Express. We are loyal fans of Hampton Inn, but there was not one in this area.

Nearby this hotel are all the usual chain stores and restaurants found all across suburban America.

The room had a mildly unpleasant smell when we first arrived, but it did not drive us from the room. We opened the window and ran the noisy fan. That took care of the smell.

This is a non-smoking hotel, but we smelled cigarette smoke when boarding the elevator.

The wall mounted heater/air conditioner is loud. The automatic fan in the toilet/shower room is VERY loud. If you are sensitive to noise, seek another place to stay.

The bedding and mattresses were very comfortable. The sink was outside the toilet/shower room, which was convenient since there were three of us occupying this room.

The shower/sink water is over-softened, leaving a greasy feeling on the skin after washing.

The unappealing "hot" breakfast was better than nothing, but just barely. There was very little from which to choose, and it all tasted pretty bad. The room temperature rubbery eggs were shaped like tacos, and filled with a cheeselike substance. The cinnamon rolls had a distictive plastic packaging taste. Coffee was mediocre, and the juices were watered-down.

The evening desk clerk Jaime was very pleasant and helpful. The morning desk clerk never looked up as we passed her desk several times, to and from breakfast and when departing the hotel.

We stayed here to be near a large family gathering. There were no other choices within a short driving distance. We will stay here in the future if there is another large family event nearby, but otherwise would never choose this hotel again.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
travelguru75, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chicago-Oswego, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2010

Thank you for taking the time to rate your experience at our hotel. We appreciate your feedback and we will address each of the issues that you have mentioned.
We look forward to seeing you again in the future and please feel free to contact me directly to ensure that your next visit is nothing less than exceptional.

Reviewed 4 May 2009

We were having a baby soon, so we thought we would take ourt 2 year old somewhere he could go swimming and goof off. This hotel about an hour from our home in Chicago was perfect.

It appears to be used mostly during the week, as the pool area was empty both times we came down for a dip. They also took care of us with a crib for our boy, and were good about getting the sheets he (unfortunately) threw up on.

Another plus was the fact that every possible chain retail store and restaurant was nearby, so we could have the familiar when we wanted it.

Breakfast was tasty and the area clean, and the person running it was very nice to all of us.

My family went to bed real early, leaving dad to watch TV. The HD tvs actually got HD channels, and while they arent the best HD TVS, they were better than most hotels at places at this level.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank GFKelly
travelguru75, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chicago-Oswego, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2009

Thank you for taking the time out to post your review of our hotel. I am very glad to hear you had an excellent stay!
Congratulations on your new arrival and I hope you had some great quality time with your 2 yr old!

Reviewed 2 April 2009

I traveled here with my two young sons for family reasons. The entire staff was so warm and welcoming. They treated us like family. They had crayons and a coloring book for my boys to color in. We were here for 5 days and I talked to the staff about a number of different things. It wasn't just limited to things about the hotel, but they did tell me their staff had been with them for a couple of years, which truly shows in the way they treat their guest. I have never stayed anywhere where I have felt so welcomed or where I just fit in. They joked with me, they joked with my children, they even joked and talked with my family as they arrived to either visit me or pick us up, it was just an excellent experience

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 March 2009

Made group reservation weeks in advance, price went down on their website. Front desk not happy to lower the price, but did. Be sure to check a day in advance for a lower price!

Greeted kindly with a small welcome bag for being a priority member. Room was clean and comfortable with fridge and desk. Bed comfortable. Quiet. Front desk very accommodating and friendly. They allowed me late check out. Breakfast was ok. Only 3 cereals to choose from, no fruit, sausage, biscuits and gravy.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank sleepy99
Reviewed 15 February 2007

We chose this hotel because of the proximity to family and were very happy with the hotel overall. The only complaint I had was that the linens and towels smelled like smoke. It is almost as if the housekeeping room is where the smoker's lounge was located.
Nevertheless, the complimentary breakfast was wonderful, the pool hours were great, we were able to check in early, and the staff was friendly. The rooms also have a microwave, refridgerator, great showerheads, and two different pillow firmnesses on each bed (for a total of four pillows per bed).
We enjoyed our stay and would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank spottylover
Reviewed 7 April 2006

I stayed here for five nights while I was in the area visiting family. Very spacious room with a small refrigerator and microwave. And a comfortable chair, which seems to be a rare commodity in hotel rooms these days. Housekeeping staff does an excellent job. I've stayed at other Holiday Inn Express locations with more extensive breakfast bars, but this was just fine.

• Stayed: April 2006
1  Thank TravelLib
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oswego
1 mi away
Hampton Inn Yorkville
Hampton Inn Yorkville
#1 of 2 in Yorkville
Holiday Inn Aurora North- Naperville

Been to Holiday Inn Express Chicago-Oswego? Share your experiences!