“Diamond in the Rough”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Ottawa Starved Rock Area
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Ottawa
Reviewed 24 August 2014

We were traveling home to NJ from Nebraska. It was getting late and we needed a stopping point. We were pleasantly surprised when we arrived. We almost booked at a lower budgeted establishment but changed our mind at the last minute. The Fairfield Inn was spotless. We are Marriott Rewards Members and believe in the brand & this location was no exception. Friendly staff, clean rooms, very comfortable beds and a nice hot breakfast. Conveniently located off Rt 80, we will definitely stop back on our next trip to Nebraska.

• Stayed: August 2014

Reviewed 19 August 2014

We stayed one night at the Fairfield Inn Ottawa prior to bike tour in Coal City. The check-in process was quick and the room was a standard one. Great cable TV reception, pool available, and outside seating area in back with a gas grill for cooking out. This year soybeans were planted just behind the Inn as corn was there last year. Only suggestion/warning to guests is that breakfast is not served until 7 AM on Sundays. Not sure why, as there were several people in the breakfast area by 6:30 (including us) and by close to 7 the place was packed with families ready to eat. Would be better if the management would start breakfast earlier on Sundays, similar to other days. Overall still a good stay, and will be back again.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

We enjoyed our stay in this hotel. It is pretty, clean' very nicely decorated. the staff was super friendly and the room very comfortable. Nice amenities, including a washer and a dryer room.
It was definitely cost effective.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

The hotel is fairly new 3 years. Very impressed with our room, we had a King Bed Suite - very roomy sitting area -- a big comfortable bed. I found the towels to be soft, love the large shower, big enough for two. The free breakfast the hotel offers was great. A very large selection to choose from and they don't skimp on the quality of the food. The location of the hotel was perfect for getting around town. Right off I-80 & minutes into the town of Ottawa - Tracy's Row House is our favorite restaurant to go to, they have live local music on Friday evenings and they have a list of 100 martini’s to choose from. The Bee Hive is another great place for breakfast. Ottawa is a fun place to visit especially during the Ottawa River Fest.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

Let's start off with the good: clean, convenient, comfortable, 4ft deep pool and whirlpool. Friendly staff at buffet and the cleaners. Updated rooms, nice amenities. Would stay again except....

...I don't mind a $20 hold on my credit card for miscellaneous expenses. That is standard. What I thoroughly object to is having a PREPAID reservation through Priceline and then having a hold placed on my credit card for $110.

I phoned the front desk for an explanation, and the woman started arguing with me "that this is a policy that is stated on their website". She then argued that the hold was placed in the amount of $104.50. I was looking at my bank statement and told her this was not true, and asked why this was placed in the first place if the reservation was prepaid. Again, the policy answer which I could not verify by reading the website. I was angry but attempting to mitigate it by talking through my teeth. She told me I was yelling (she's not heard yelling in that case) and I asked to speak with the manager.

I left a message for him, waited a day, and then phoned for follow-up. The gentleman who answered told me the manager has not been in this week and will not be in the rest of the week. I explained the two charges, and asked him about the $110 hold on a prepaid. He said "a lot of people have been calling about that from Saturday and Sunday".

Either the management did not train front desk personnel properly on holds for prepaids - or the policy itself is in question. That the manager left no one in charge when he is away for a week is also odd. I have booked dozens of trips on Priceline in the States and Canada and never before have we had a hold placed with a prepaid reservation (the exception of course is for incidentals as stated before).

If there is a management change I would consider returning. There are other options in the area which are better reviewed. In fact all of the sub-par reviews on Trip Advisor are recent, so that should give a clue as to how to remedy the problems.

Room Tip: Corner room if possible, walls are rather thin.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lafemmegiselle
Reviewed 7 July 2014

My wife and I desperately needed a weekend away. She had stored up some points from business travel. We chose this location as it was close to Starved Rock and we wanted to do some hiking. We booked a room with Marriott points, and got a confirmation shortly thereafter.

We had high hopes for some quality time away, and went to great lengths to make it happen. We kenneled the dog, lined up a paid house-sitter, farmed out our kids to friends and hit the road.

Much to our utter SHOCK, when we arrived, the front desk attendant looked at us wide-eyed and said, "We don't have any rooms. We are overbooked due to a wedding." We were incredulous and told her how we had booked online weeks before. Long story short, there was "no room at the inn". We were told that there had been issues about reservations from the Marriott site making it to their hotel. After some pushing back and a call to her manager, they offered us a room at the Super8. Heck no! If I wanted a room at the Super 8, I would have reserved a room at the Super 8.

The other Marriott properties were booked. So they suggested the Hampton in Peru (20 mins away). We were told they would arrange with the regional manager to cover the cost of the room. When we arrived at the Hampton Inn, they had the room reserved but had not received payment from the Fairfield. 4 HOURS LATER - they still hadn't received pmt. The Hampton employee was told that the Fairfield manager "did not have a corporate card" with which to pay for the room. (?!?!) We were tired, so we paid for the room ourselves expecting to be reimbursed from the Fairfield.

My wife has sent 2 emails cc: to the DISTRICT manager, and a voicemail. 8 days later - still no response. We filed a complaint on the Marriott website, and got the generic response that we should hear from someone with in 5 business days.

Although pleasant, the front desk attendant was completely ill equipped nor empowered to handle the situation. I CANNOT BELIEVE we have not received a direct call from the manager nor any gesture of compensation! We were told the manager "only works Mon-Fri, 8-5pm"!! I cannot tell you how disappointed we are with the disaster that is the Fairfield Ottowa. And at this point, we're highly unlikely to use Marriott properties for future business travel either.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank ChicagoPetey
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Great place to stay in Ottawa! The property was modern, attractive, and very clean. The staff was very welcoming and friendly. Rooms and bedding were comfortable. Decent breakfast, with far more choices than most chain hotel "continental" breakfasts. This was definitely much nicer than the average motel. We stayed three nights.

The only real demerit I give this hotel is that the fitness facility they show on the website has 2 treadmills and an elliptical machine, none of which work. At all. So it's a bit of false advertising to claim that a fitness facility is available, when it's really not. When I mentioned this to the front desk, the clerk seemed not to be very concerned. All of that said, I may very well be the only one who ever cared enough to mention it, so if it's not important to you, it's not a detraction for you.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank cararms
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ottawa
Hampton Inn Ottawa Starved Rock Area
Fairfield Inn & Suites Peru
Grizzly Jack's Grand Bear Resort
Hampton Inn & Suites Peru
Starved Rock Lodge & Conference Center
La Quinta Inn Peru Starved Rock State Park

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Ottawa Starved Rock Area? Share your experiences!