“Excellent Stay”
Review of Comfort Inn

Comfort Inn
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Ottawa
Reviewed 21 September 2012

Wonderful hotel! They are pet friendly which is incredibly convenient especially since Starved Rock hiking trails are so pet friendly. The rooms are clean and the staff is so friendly. The front desk recommended good places to eat and what to do on my stay. I work in hotels so i understand the importance of a great front desk staff. they were wonderful! I would definitely stay here again if i visit starved rock!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo

Reviewed 12 August 2012

Good hotel. Got a nice upgrade with my platinum status. Front desk was friendly. Breakfast area is small though. Barely fits 10 people at a time. I come here several times a year for work. Always have stayed at this location and have yet to be disappointed. And across the street is the sports bar Shakers.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 July 2012

The staff friendly and helpful. The room was clean and comfortable..the Manager Deb worked out a great deal for me for my upcoming business trips...conviently located.
The Breakfast was more than I expected..Most places serve stale donuts and toast. Here I had choices: pancakes, biscuits, eggs, meat, fruit, yogurt, muffins, etc...

Room Tip: King Room...plenty of space and comfortable
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 July 2012

Nice place, typical of HIE. Our room window did not have a screen on it, kinda wanted to have the window open for a nighttime breeze! On the plus side they do allow pets which was our major reason for staying here, just over $100 for the room w/ a continental breakfast here OR down the road at a nasty very, very old place they wanted $85 because we had our pets with us!!!!

Room Tip: See if you can get a room on the backside, they are next to a Sears store so you should get decent s...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 June 2012

I just stayed here with some friends, and all weekend long we talked about how much we enjoyed this hotel! I know that sounds strange, but we experienced so many great things at a cheap price (only $103 a night) that I felt compelled to write a review.

First, the room was a nice size (comfortably accommodated 3 people!), very clean, and the beds were amazing. They even had two types of pillows - soft and firm - labeled for you, too. I got so much sleep there, and so did my friends. We couldn't stop talking about the "comfiness" of the beds! I have a pillow-top bed at home, and their beds were more comfortable than mine! Cleanliness throughout the hotel was great.

The free breakfasts each morning were also fantastic. They had a good variety of tasty food, including biscuits and gravy, eggs and sausage. One of best parts - we had just come in from a day out at Starved Rock, and one of the staff came out with a platter of freshly baked cookies! They do this every day around 3. Wow.

Pool, hot tub and fitness room - great also! Pool is perfect size - not huge, but not too small, either. Fitness center only has 3 pieces of equipment, but for the price, it's great. You have a bike, elliptical and treadmill; no weights.

Location is wonderful, too - you have so many places in walking distance - fast food, Cracker Barrel, Walmart, shoe store, etc. It's about a 15-min drive to Starved Rock Park. There's even a lounge with an outdoor sand volleyball court right across the street!

Just to show efficiency of staff - one day we heard the neighbor's alarm clock going off incessantly. We were fairly certain no one was in the room, since it went off non-stop. I called the front desk, and no sooner had I put down the phone and walked over to the sink, and I heard the staff person calling to the resident and opening the door to turn off the alarm! I couldn't believe how quickly she responded to the call.

I hope that helps! I am definitely staying here again on my next trip to Starved Rock! The amenities and cleanliness far surpass the price!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 June 2012

We had recently stayed in a different Holiday Inn Express that we were very happy with. We had printed a coupon from online for this Holiday Inn Express. The coupon could not be used because they had rediculous fine print about you had to book online and I refuse to list credit card info online. When we went there to check it out a few weeks before our say we noticed that the lobby smelled like smoke and the front desk people were extremely rude and unhelpful and we found out the recently the pool roof collapsed into the pool and the pool wouldnt be available during our stay. We immediately left and drove around until we found the Fairfield Inn and Suites. Bottom Line: Dont stay at Holiday Inn Express in Ottawa defintely stay at Fairfield Inn & Suites! Check out my review about the Fairfield Inn and Suites!

Room Tip: Don't Stay Here!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank ArualJane22
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2012

Dear ArualJane22,

Thank you for your feedback. We work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we try our best to provide not just good value, but clean and friendly accommodations. We regret you were not satisfied with the services you recieved from our hotel and staff. I understand the inconvenience this caused you. Again, I do apologize and regret that this impacted your experience at our hotel.

We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Zelyn N.
Case Manager
IHG Care

Reviewed 18 April 2012

PROPERTY: I stayed at this property for 2 nights in room 318 a double queen room. This property is starting to show it’s age and could use some freshening up as it’s not on par with other (newer) HEI’s.

The hotel had a pool which was “Out of Order”. Based on other reviews, it seems to be a common theme.

DINING: The breakfast was nothing special. A few cereal choices, hot biscuits and gravy and prefab eggs. The pancake maker was out of order. There is a Cracker Barrel across the parking lot, go there.

ROOM: The room was clean and the décor was uninspiring. The room felt smaller than usual and lacked a micro/fridge combo found in similar properties. A coffee maker is provided. The room had light road noise from street traffic. The furniture was in good condition and had a 32” flat screen TV.

The bathroom was small with tub/shower combo. I had NO HOT WATER twice during my stay when showering at 6:30-7:00 am. The sink area is small and made of cultured marble.

BEDDING: The bed was very good with a nice white comforter but cheap pillows.

WORK AREA: The table is the size of a Chicklet and almost unusable for work. The chair is not adjustable and not suited for laptop work. There is only ½ of an electrical outlet provided nearby (the other one is used for a light) for powering electronics. Poor-mediocre lighting throughout room.

The staff was friendly and accommodating.

PROS: price? “surface clean” (deep down, not so much)

CONS: Pool out of order, no micro/fridge, dated atmosphere, nothing special.

RATING: I expected better. Overall I would give the property a 75/100 and 75/100 for value. I would consider staying here again, but would definitely look at other properties nearby. I heard similar disappointing stories about the Hampton Inn next door as our large group was divided between the two properties. Try the Fairfield Inn.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank YepBeenThere
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2012

Dear YepBeenThere,

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad you had a positive experience with our friendly staff. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We are sorry our pool has been closed for renovations since late January 2012. We are hoping the renovations will be complete and the pool back open soon. We're sorry you were not fully satisfied with the hotel furnishings. We hope that you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ottawa
Hampton Inn Ottawa Starved Rock Area
Fairfield Inn & Suites Ottawa Starved Rock Area
Grizzly Jack's Grand Bear Resort
Fairfield Inn & Suites Peru
La Quinta Inn Peru Starved Rock State Park
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Peru

Been to Comfort Inn? Share your experiences!