“Needs some serious cleaning, and watch the billing”
Review of Comfort Inn

Comfort Inn
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Ottawa
Reviewed 30 November 2013

My wife and I needed a place to crash for the night on the way to see relatives for the holiday. This seemed like it would work; I had enough points for a free night, it was right off the interstate, and we generally like HIX hotels. I popped out my Android phone, fired up the app, and booked it right in the parking lot. Bonus: we got a hot tub suite. Sounds great, right?

My first indicator that they really don't know what they're doing is that my credit card was charged the full amount even though it was a reward night. The front desk clerk mumbled something about "Sorry, it should be just a $20 deposit" but it was for $154, and I am waiting for the transaction to be finished so I can dispute it.

Then, we filled the jacuzzi with hot water, looking to power down so we could finish the drive in the morning. The caulking around the top edge of the hot tub was peeling off, leaving huge holes throughout, which of course are not going to be clean. Then, I glanced over from the tub to see many black stains on the upper part of the inside of the toilet bowl. Ewww.

So...maintenance, housekeeping, and proper billing are all sub-par here.

Room Tip: Even numbered rooms (the ones facing North) are away from the parking lot.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank nitw63
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2013

Dear nitw63,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the cleanliness of the accommodations and billing prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We take all of the reviews we receive very seriously as they allow us to identify areas that may benefit from additional attention. We have shared your comments with the staff and we’re confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction. We would like to obtain some additional information about your stay and have sent you a private message.

Adrian D

Reviewed 4 November 2013

I got a king room with whirlpool. Nice room, very clean. The whirlpool in the bathroom needs re-caulking. The tv guide that they have in the room needs to be copied so it's a little easier to read. The room came with a fridge and microwave which is always nice. The bed and pillows were very comfortable. I do have to complain about the side door. The side door at the end of the hotel is created to let hotel guests enter the hotel without going through the front desk. It has a keycard machine so that the guest can slide their card in so that only hotel guests can enter. The door was unlocked and did not latch when it did close. this being unlocked, you can enter whether you are a guest or not which did not make me feel safe. Between the wind and people coming in and out all night, the constant slamming of the door kept me up all night. The breakfast at the hotel was average. Pancakes were great, the biscuits were hard.

Room Tip: A room away from the side door will be less noisy. The door and people going up and down the stairs...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tigercharm
Debra C, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about your stay. We work hard to ensure our hotel is well maintained and we try our hardest to provide comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. Please accept our apology for any inconvenience these issues may have caused. We have taken note of the issues you experienced during your stay and will work to get thenm corrected. Thank you again for your review and we hope to have an opportunity of welcoming you back again soon

Debra Carson

Reviewed 23 August 2013 via mobile

We stopped at Holiday Inn Expess on a road trip without prior reservation. The front desk staff was more then accommodating. We could not have asked for a nicer room. The coffee was hot and available 24/7. Breakfast was satisfactory and the hostess superb.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 24 July 2013

Didn't realize it was a full 5 day non refundable deposit Wouldn't give the cheaper rate when called 10 days before reservation. if your plans change you're out $700. Also requested a first floor unit which they also could not provide. Will definitely not reserve in advanced with them again.

Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Klondike2
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2013

Dear Klondike2,

Thank you for leaving us a feedback. We appreciate you taking the time to help us improve our guest services.

There are types of reservations that comes with a cancellation fee and/or full pre-payment requirement. Acknowledgement of the restrictions is required in order to obtain your confirmation number. This provides you with the option of agreeing to or declining the terms, and gives you a choice to book a different rate type with a different cancellation policy. I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you.

We appreciate your feedback and your business. Your comments will be forwarded to the ownership of the hotel to take into consideration for future upgrades. Despite your disappointment I do hope you will return to stay with us again at some future date when you can be assured of our very best attention.

Dhan M

Reviewed 12 July 2013 via mobile

I liked the room...it was all in gold colored hues...but unfortunately, the longer I stayed in there, the more I smelled smoke. In addition, it was obvious that smoking and partying was going on all around us. I had traveled long that day, and I especially wanted to stay in Ottawa to go to the town square where Lincoln had debated with Douglas, but the stay at the hotel was disappointing. They didn't even have a Starbucks in town. I was overjoyed to see the town square, however....

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Lbca23
Debra C, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2013

Dear Lbca23,
Thank you for taking the time to express your concerns regarding your recent stay with us. Please accept my sincere apology for the noise and smell of smoke you experienced in your room. I regret we fell short in providing great service during your stay. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. If there is anything you need next time you stay with us, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Debra Carson

Reviewed 3 June 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel because of the proximity to the 5k we were doing that weekend. I can understand the lack of enthusiasm the hotel felt with hundreds of very muddy guests spending the weekend there, but that is not an excuse for poor service. We never received a "hello" when we walked in, a "good morning" or even a "have a nice day" or any overall friendliness. The hotel itself was clean, although the bedding did smell of cigarettes.
If neededI would probably stay here again, but this hotel would not be my first choice.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank dn9999
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2013

Dear dn9999,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns regarding your recent stay with us. Please accept my sincere apology for the shortcomings you experienced and we regret we fell short in rendering great service during your stay. We take all comments into consideration and welcome any opportunity to improve. If there is anything you need next time you stay with us, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Joel B

Reviewed 23 April 2013

You don't get what is promised.. The room had no shampoo. Hair in the tub and towels look dirty maybe the room was not cleaned the the mattress was horrible on both beds. The ac didn't work all night and when I told the desk agent she didn't even say sorry! The breakfast severed ham it was hard as a rock!! They had good coffee!! With the amount of money I paid the least I expect is a smile! Don't stay

Room Tip: Don't stay and if you do don't expect the quality service you get that other holiday inns
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Mayleen L
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2013

Dear Mayleen L,

Thank you for your feedback and for choosing our hotel. We are sincerely sorry for the issues you had with the room condition and with breakfast. All of our reviews are evaluated by management, and your review is no exception. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your feedback and your business.

Karen G.
IHGCare

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ottawa
Hampton Inn Ottawa Starved Rock Area
Fairfield Inn & Suites Ottawa Starved Rock Area
La Quinta Inn Peru Starved Rock State Park
15 mi away
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Peru
Fairfield Inn & Suites Peru
Best Western Oglesby Inn

Been to Comfort Inn? Share your experiences!