“Cant stop thinking about the enchiladas in chipotle sauce!”

El Toreo Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #18 of 148 Restaurants in Palatine
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Cuisines: Mexican, Bar
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Milwaukee, Wi
“Cant stop thinking about the enchiladas in chipotle sauce!”
Reviewed 10 March 2013

First time there and couldnt decide between the spinach enchiladas and the enchiladas in chipotle sauce. Very happy with my bold decision as I cant stop thinking about how tasty they were. The meal starts off with a basket of chips, mild sauce, a spicy green sauce, and vegetables. I liked the fact that I didnt have to ask for spicier sauce and the vegetables are always a nice touch. Their tamales were good, but I think next time I might skip the nondescript sauce they came with. The chipotle sauce, though, was hot, smoky and just right and the enchiladas are served with tasty rice and decent refried beans. As others have commented, the servers are attentive and pleasant although not overly chatty or syrupy.

I visited with someone who frequents the restaurant and enjoys it very much. I would definitely return for more of the same and see if I can scam some tastes off of other peoples plates so I can try some other options, too :-)

• Visited March 2013

Palatine, Illinois, United States
“consistently great Mexican food”
Reviewed 6 October 2012

The variety and quality of the entrees, the great margaritas, and the warm, friendly people make this the ultimate spot in the area for Mexican food. I miss them so much when I am away-even IN Mexico!!

Visited October 2012
Estero, Florida
“Not very good”
Reviewed 19 June 2012

Coupon showeed and then we very treated poorly.. Bad/slow service and cool food.

Visited November 2011
1 Thank jimmysnowbird
Barrington, Illinois
“Just below average...”
Reviewed 27 May 2012

The Princess Bride and I decided to try El Torero since it'd been almost 10 years from the last time we hit the local restaurant.

The people are really attentive, though not really nice. They just come up and ask "more chips?" "water?" minus a smile. Our waitress recommended steak rather than beef or chicken on our plates and my wife took her advice (it's $3+ more).

The steak was tough, probably easier to chew a table cloth.

I had beef in my dishes and it was like swallowing ocean water. I've never had food this salty.

Presentation was nice. But most Mexican restaurants load up cheese on your food. This one skimps. Prices are fair, but why be happy with a discount for food that's just not worth the trip?

We ate outdoors because it was beautiful out, but the tables are right next to the parking spaces, so you get to look at the fronts of cars. These provided better a "grill" experience than our restaurant did.

So we won't wait another 10 years, we'll just pretend this place doesn't exist, keep it off our radar. If only someone on a satellite somewhere could keep it off the world's GPS, it'd save others the mediocre experience.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank Dan S
Buffalo Grove, Illinois
“A nice, average, americanized Mexican place”
Reviewed 19 May 2012

This restaurant, under several variations of the name, has been around for many years. They have decent if unimaginative food - "Filled with Chicken or Beef, Senior?" - no Carnitas, Chorizo, etc. The basic sides - Rice and Refried beans, are dull. Service is efficient if a bit sullen at times.

Visited March 2012