“Roadhouse gem”

Brandt's of Palatine
Ranked #5 of 154 Restaurants in Palatine
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Brandt's has been around since the 1920's, a small roadhouse on Rt 14, with a colorful history. It has risen from a fire several years ago and has undergone an ownership change, but has stayed true to its menu. Return guests may not even notice a change. Brant's has a burger, a delicious big burger. Choice of 3 types of buns, choice of several cheeses, lettuce ,tomato, possibly an onion, just not on my plate. You also get a choice of 2 side dishes eg. mac and cheese, slaw, cup of soup, steak fries, sweet potato fries, baked beans, baked potato, and a couple more choices.. And all this is one price. I believe 8.95. Order the onion rings, not to be missed! There are also other sandwiches and entrees. The fried shrimp is delicious. I have heard from others that the steak is also perfect. Portions are large. We actually split the burger and side dishes, especially if we have the onion rings.There is a bar area with many selections and some craft beers. Seating is tight. Wait times are reasonable. Have a drink at the bar. You can eat at the bar also. The parking lot is packed stone. A few handicapped spots and a ramp for accessibility, otherwise up the side steps and into the bar area. Friendly place, close quarters, make friends at the bar. Newcomers are welcome. We unexpectedly ran into old friends there on Saturday. People had families with small children. Just don't be in a hurry. Once seated, food comes fast. And hot! Brandt's is on the corner of Rt. 14 Northwest Highway and Quentin Rd in Palatine. Why the address is Baldwin Rd is a post office mystery left over from the way-back years. Baldwin and RT 14 ARE THE SAME ROAD AT THAT POINT. In other places, they are different streets.

1  Thank vicki c

Reviewed 4 October 2013

Fantastic place for burgers and chili. A neighborhood bar with great food. The burgers are all $8.50 with up charge for toppings such as cheese, bacon or mushrooms. On the weekend be prepared for a 15 to 30 minute wait, but it is worth it. The tables are close together, but you make friends. The servers we very friendly and there when you needed them.
Go for a good burger and a good time.

Reviewed 11 August 2013

My family (two adults and three kids) arrived at Brandt's on a Friday night around 6:30 pm. The place was PACKED. We were lucky to get a table quickly though and found the staff very friendly. I get the impression this is an "everybody knows your name" kind of place for locals. In fact, the owners (I understand they just purchased the place a few months ago and have made major changes in decor, management and food) were there greeting customers.

The kids meal came with two sliders, generous fries and a drink. The sliders were so big we took the second burgers (and lots of fries) home. The adult burger entree was huge and delicious. You may pick your own bun (I think they had four different kinds; my husband and I both tried the pretzel bun which was yummy!). You also pick your own cheese. I had cheddar, which was very good, however, next time I'd have the blue cheese. We had the blue cheese on the side with our boneless chicken wings. It's homemade and fabulous. My husband who doesn't even like blue cheese thought it was great and suggested they bottle it and sell it.

My husband had the pulled pork, which was excellent as well. The meals came with a choice of sides (I don't remember them all, but we got steak fries and sweet potato fries). Our meals were so big we both ate about half and saved the rest for leftovers the next day. I believe there is some historical significance to the stone building, but not sure what it is except that the place has been around for years and years. It's not fancy, but I think people come here for the food and to spend time with friends. We'll definitely be back when we are in the area!

Note: Our GPS sent us to 807 EAST Baldwin Rd. which is incorrect. Be sure you go to 807 WEST Baldwin Rd. Also, it's now called Brandt's of Palatine, not Brandt's Little Cafe. We found most people we stopped to ask for directions knew exactly which restaurant we were talking about and we eventually found it.

1  Thank jlhd
Reviewed 7 August 2013 via mobile

I had a mushroom Swiss burger on pretzel roll with fries and veggies. The burger was huge and very tasty. Fries were good and veggies just ok. Very small inside but service was excellent. My only complaint was it seemed kinda pricey for a burger and a coke but I would definelty go back and recommend it.

Reviewed 5 August 2013

Small, crowded basic bar with tables in the back and some more tables down some stairs. Excellent burgers with choice of two sides, 3 different buns tomato, lettuce and slightly cooked red onions. Delicious and not expensive. Beers are attractively priced, some on tap. We found the waitresses to be attentive and when one order had the wrong sides they were cheerfully exchanged no fuss. They bring water to the table and no pressure to drink alcohol and free refills on the soda. Great little place to have a burger. It is what it is!

Been to Brandt's of Palatine? Share your experiences!