“Just what you'd expect”

Holiday Inn Express Chicago Palatine
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Palatine
Reviewed 30 September 2012

I was here visiting an event hosted at the hotel. The hotel has all that you'd expect and even access to a gym and pool. But what I really needed arriving late in the evening was something to eat and this turned out to be problematic. The lady at the front desk wasn't very helpful.

The rooms are clean and up to Holiday Inn Standards.

The breakfast is rather low key. On a busy day the breakfast facilities can be a bit crowded and you may have to wait a bit. You won't be spoilt for choice, but you won't starve either.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 28 September 2012

I spent one night here at the beginning of the week. The location is good but very close to the highway. The lobby is very nice and modern, but the rooms could use and update. It's unusual to have an old tube TV in a hotel these days. The staff was very nice and having a full gym attached is a big plus. I would stay here again the next time I'm in town.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 August 2012

If there was a "below average" rating, I would feel more comfortable (because they provided great customer service) BUT the HI Express in Palatine is older and attached to a VERY old World Gym (it was disgusting - dark, all the equipment looked dangerous, and those working out looked a bit scary). The lobby is fine, nothing bad or good and the comment about the "best breakfast" probably comes from a HI frequent traveler because Hampton Inn is clearly a front runner in that department. They don't have a pool (although an old, indoor pool is located in that disgusting gym next door). The window in our room was tiny, I felt like I was in a closet.
The room was older, old-school TV, remote didn't work well nor the pay per view (we were told we ordered a movie but we didn't - remote was stuck).
When I asked about lunch locations within walking distance, the desk seemed out of touch but VERY friendly.
The driver (Tom) was extremely helpful with finding a dinner location (they take you to nearby restaurants).
On Tuesdays and Wednesdays they have a "Manager's Reception" where drinks are served.
We had stayed here due to Hampton Inn being sold out (and we couldn't extend the reservation) so it would not be our first choice and I definately would not stay here again (sorry).

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
HIE-PAL-MGT, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chicago Palatine, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2012

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel.
We strive to offer an excellent product and great service to all our guests, and it appears that we did not meet your expectations. I would like to personally discuss your stay, in order to gain better insight on how we can make improvements in the future.
Hotel General Manager

Reviewed 16 August 2012

The lobby area looked up to date, the rooms were another story. They need to be updated BADLY. We had booked 2 rooms and one of the rooms had a mattress that smelled of urine, my guests with me did not tell me of this until we had checked out and were leaving town, they did not want me to be upset because I booked the hotel for them. The TV channel selection was not even average at best, I guess that most guests don't watch the food channel or have kids that would want to watch cartoons (was shown on the channel guide in room), because neither of these channels was available. We had our pet with us and they were very accomodating in that respect, but their 50 dollar fee considering the condition of the rest of the room was a little over the top. Our hotel the night before was a new staybridge suite that did not charge us the fee of 30 dollars that was on their website. I would pay it either way because it is their policy and I am glad for the opportunity to bring my pet with me. The Breakfast was great and the attendant was great and the choices were great, I thanked her very well $$. The internet was spotty at best. The pool in the health club was freezing, and kind of dirty. unless you rented a suite you did not get a microwave and fridge, but you do get a room with a couch that faces the opposite viewing direction of the outdated television. I almost forgot the beds which were almost as hard as the floor.

Room Tip: choose a room in the newer holiday inn express that is just a few miles up the same road
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 August 2012

We've stayed here before because, unfortunately, there is a poor selection of hotels in Palatine, and it's my hometown so I usually visit annually. Because of the delicious breakfast, this is our top choice in Palatine, but compared to other hotels in general, it lacks a mini fridge, a microwave, and the wireless Internet is spotty, at best. The indoor pool Is pleasant, but as its located in a gym, I expected a clock, particularly with a second hand, but another thing we didn't find. Also, we had several problems with a clogged toilet, 3 times in as many days. I'm thinking I may try a nearby city next time...the staff was nice!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 July 2012 via mobile

Stayed for 4 days for a softball tournament nearby . Room was on the smaller side, but adjoining gym and pool made up for that ! Hot breakfast was one of the best I have had at a Holiday Inn property . Housekeeping was excellent and quiet while cleaning in the nearby rooms in am . Decor was clean and modern and I loved the arm chair in the room- fell asleep in it twice ! Arlington Park is 3 minutes away also . Tons of dining within 2 miles as well . Highly recommend this property :)

• Stayed: May 2012
2  Thank reemard
Reviewed 17 June 2012

I cannot say enough about how disappointed I was with my one night stay at the Holiday Inn Express - Palatine. There was a group partying all night, and I mean all night, until 6AM!!!!, directly across the hall from my room and down the hall from my room. Yelling and door slamming all night. I contacted the front desk several times only to be told,at 5am, "what would you like me to do?, I can't control the alcohol consumption of others" Seriously?? I have never been treated so poorly by any hotel staff in my life. I travel frequently for business and will never return to this hotel for any reason. I plan on communicating my dissatisfaction to the corporate office on Monday morning. Beware all, this hotel does not care about travelers over 21! Do yourself and big favor and seek accommodations elsewhere!!!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank MinnaandJoe
Management response:Responded 22 June 2012

We would like to thank you for your comments and let you know that we take them very seriously. We have launched an investigation into the circumstances that you presented in your review, and would like to speak to you directly regarding your experience at our hotel. Please feel free to contact the hotel General Manger at your earliest convenience.
It is our goal to provide excellent service for every guest, with every stay. We are disappointed that we did not meet your expectation and welcome the opportunity to speak to you.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Palatine
Courtyard Chicago Arlington Heights/North
Courtyard Chicago Arlington Heig...
#5 of 10 in Arlington Heights
7 mi away
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Chicago - Schaumburg
Red Carpet Inn
Red Carpet Inn
#2 of 3 in Palatine
Days Inn & Suites Arlington Heights
Days Inn & Suites Arlington Heig...
#3 of 10 in Arlington Heights
Four Points by Sheraton Buffalo Grove
7 mi away
Holiday Inn Express Chicago - Schaumburg

Been to Holiday Inn Express Chicago Palatine? Share your experiences!