La Posta Vecchia Hotel
US$304
US$95
US$79
Agoda.com
Relais Castrum Boccea(Rome)(Great Value!)
US$85
  • Breakfast included
TripAdvisor
All reviewsla posta vecchiasea viewrome airportprivate beachperfect placeclose to the airportsea frontindoor poolmichelin starroman ruinsbeautiful hotellive heremany thankstwo nightsdining roomwine listpaul getty
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 16 July 2014

For $800/night, this hotel is not worth it at all. The service is mediocre at best. My suite, Angel's suite was old, not maintained well with cheap furniture. The windows are so small. The property is not clean at all. The beach is not private. There were loud teenagers playing all which totally destroyed the atmosphere. The food is average.
WARNING: We were turned away because there was a private event going on. After explaining to them that we came from America, very tired with jet lag and we just needed a place to rest even under a tree, they did not even open the gate and told us to have coffee in town which we were not familiar with. My travel agent did not get any email from them regarding this. We booked and paid many months in advance. If you are crazy enough to book this hotel, let them know what time you are arriving.

Room Tip: Definitely not the Angel's suite.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank 288GARRIC
Pellicano_Hotels, Direttore at La Posta Vecchia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Dear Guest,
I wish to thank you for sharing with us and all the users of Tripadvisor your experience at our property and I hope you will forgive me for this delayed reply.
Your disappointment is crystal clear, just like the reason that originated it; I can understand that after a long flight one can’t wait getting into a place where to relax and recover, and I may imagine your frustration when you realized that our hotel was previously rented out on exclusive use for a private event until noon of the day of your arrival; especially if you were not informed earlier about that!
We are always very attentive in informing all of our guest well in advance when this kind of circumstance occurs and we are sincerely sorry for the unpleasant inconvenience you suffered; since you did not book directly we did not have your personal contacts but, believe us or not, I can assure your travel agent was notified about this happening by e-mail more than 4 months prior to your arrival and she probably forgot to transfer to you the information; however it is not our habit to blame on others when something doesn’t work properly with our service; it is our mistake not having sent a reminder when getting closer to the date of your stay and we hope you will accept our apologies; your complaint will be definitely kept in consideration to revise our procedures consequently.
I am now mostly sorry to learn that our genuine warm welcome when you returned at 12 noon and some extra attention we have dedicated to you such as the free upgrade to the Angel Suite, in which you could be accommodated at 12.30, were not appreciated.
At same time I understand that the first disappointing feeling influenced negatively your perception of our whole property and service; I am just a little sad since your words hurt the whole staff working hard everyday to provide an outstanding service to any of our guest.
I am always grateful for any suggestion that may be useful for an improvement to our standards although I confess that sometimes, just like in this specific occasion, I am a bit confused when reading a review that is so controversial if compared to many others referred to the same period, the same staff and even the same room like it in this case, however I am confident that the expert audience of Tripadvisor will be able to have a clearer opinion than myself this time.
I wish I were able to persuade you to visit us again and let us show you that La Posta Vecchia is a different place from the picture you are keeping in your memory, but I am afraid this is a mission impossible and so I wish to take this opportunity to thank in advance all the other guests that will be crazy enough to come and stay with us.
Of course letting us know the estimated time of arrival, together with any other information allowing us in arranging a most comfortable stay will be always very much appreciated!
Kindest regards.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

This hotel definitely lived up to its billing. Following a busy couple of days in Rome we decided to get the train to Ladispoli and get a taxi. Unfortunately a public holiday meant we couldn't find a taxi for 45 minutes. Feeling a little hot and bothered everything changed once we got through the gate. Serene, comfortable, stylish, quiet and luxurious. Nothing is too much for the staff. The pool is fantastic. We don't know what else is on offer locally as we felt no desire to leave for the 2 days we were here. The restaurant is Michelin starred and provides excellent food throughout the day.

This is not cheap but you get what you pay for. If you want a lovely place to stay for a special occasion or have lots of money (they will provide coordinates for your helicopter pilot) it is fantastic. It is about 40minutes by train into termini station in Rome and would take about an hour to drive.

Of note, we then when on to stay at Hotel Il Pelicano and these hotels share a booking office so you can organise things in one step!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Pellicano_Hotels, Direttore at La Posta Vecchia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Dear Guest,
many thanks for the time you have dedicated to this review and the opportunity offered to all the TripAdvisor followers.
It is always a pleasure for all of us to read how our Guests feel and perceived La Posta Vecchia.
Further to your description, I would like to spend just few world about: I personally perceive it and usually describe La Posta Vecchia something like a house more than a Luxury Hotel. The atmosphere, the staff and the services we offer are, actually, treasures opened to all those people glad to visit us. It is true that a stay here can be expensive, of course it is, and it is expensive because you have the chance to sleep and experience a regal house, a stay within a proper museum; all around you original furniture and decorations from the glorious Italian and European periods.
Another interesting positive feature of La Posta Vecchia is absolutely its strategical location as you noticed: Fiumicino Airport is just 30 minutes from here; Civitavecchia with its arbour is 40 and our sister property, Hotel Il Pellicano, is just one hour and half from here.
Sharing a booking office means that our Guests can discover elegance and history at La Posta Vecchia; beach and sun at Il Pellicano…a smart combination for a perfect Italian Holiday!
At the pleasure to welcome you back.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

No need too to throw three coins into the fountain, this most charming hotel is all you wish. A beautiful well maintained property full of history of the days when Rome was a great force. The legions have been replaced by an equally efficient and professional team, ever willing to help, explain and guide.

Much has been said below and I fully concur with all the excellent reviews. Breakfast on the terrace a delight, dinner gives our local chef, Heston B, a good run for his money, the room prepared perfectly twice a day...

A couple of tales to add to the service. As I struggled on the terrace to understand my new phone (gosh Concorde must have been simpler) one of the young waiters offered to show me the magic of these modern day monsters....then there were the two pool attendants who took to their a row boat to double check if a distant swimmer was in trouble...little things which matter!!

It is easy to observe it such a peaceful environment...but a note of caution, this is a hotel free from the bustle of Rome. The beach is not perfect, but all else most certainly top notch!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Pellicano_Hotels, Direttore at La Posta Vecchia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2015

Dear Mr Paul,

Thank you for your nice feedback.
What a beautiful comparison between our Staff and roman legions! We have every day an hard battle to win, but a very pleasant one, satisfying our Guests’ needs.

You are right in saying that little things make the difference, something we pay attention to everyday, in order to assure a wonderful experience.

As far as the beach is concerned we are aware that is something we need to ameliorate and we are working on that. The weather didn’t help very much this season, but that is not an excuse.

The legions are ready to welcoming you again very soon.

Manager

Reviewed 4 June 2014

Very old historic place with a great garden and the location is directly at the sea. We stayed in the room "Vanvittelli" with seaview and with a very nice bathroom. This room is perfect for a good sleep. You can sleep with open window. Breakfast on the terrace is fantastic. This can be one of the highlights of your journey. The food is of good quality and the buffet is a great positive surprise. The museum in the ground floor are the ruins of an old roman villa. You are just into the ancient world. The area is famous for artichoke (in Italy "carciofo"). We went for dinner to a nearby farmers place. The name is "Casa dei Girasoli". Ask for direction, it's worth the little drive. There are great walking and jogging possibilities. After the gate, you have to go south and you will find great beaches with infrastructure. Don’t go to the nearby village Ladispoli, take the opposite direction. Staff is very professional and friendly. Overall, this hotel is an authentic place and landmark. The price is high, but worth the money.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,
it is a great pleasure for me and for all the staff’s member to read these nice and simple words you wrote about our property, La Posta Vecchia Hotel.
What I noticed from your description is your experience outside the property.
As you perfectly know, our property is located within a wide natural park called “Oasi di Palo Laziale” and, honestly, this is a great fortune because our Guests have the chance to enjoy the quiet, the privacy and relax completely themselves. Just outside the park there is a very nice village called Marina di San Nicola with simple but pleasant restaurants; in my opinion it is perfect for an aperitif or for a walk and an ice cream in summer time.. It is even more funny if you get there by bikes.
The surrounding honestly does not offer lot of services but it is perfect for those people who want to relax and enjoy the local food.
Many thanks for your description about our services and location: La Posta Vecchia is a museum where you can sleep in! We have 19 rooms and everyone one is different from each other in details, history and for this reason that we always suggest to check on internet, because the beds, the bathrooms, the view and the furniture are so particular and so unusual that it is always better to choose the most suitable room for your stay.
Thanks again for your time dedicated to La Posta Vecchia after your stay with us.
We really hope to welcome you again here,
Best regards.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

My husband and I stayed here a few years ago, and it was on my bucket list to visit again. We arrived late in the day, and stayed for three days. If you want a honeymoon hotel, a quiet place to unwind, de- stress this is it. Beautiful inside, quiet luxury, and a top notch staff. I was not a fish eater, but the chef turned me into one. Michelin food and wine. Perfect for a quiet dinner for two, or a large group. Although children could probably be accomodated, I would not say this is a place for them. Three days was not enough time here. Now we have made this our next vacation spot. It is just too wonderful to visit only twice. We left La Posta Vecchia heading for a 21 day cruise. When we returned, we both agreed to skip the cruise and spend two weeks here next time, then maybe a week at Il Pelicano. The staff helped us with so many things, there is enough to write a travel guide. They seemed to know how to do and visit everything, even helping with stops we were to visit on our upcoming cruise. If you can, stay here just once in your life, and you won't regret it.

Room Tip: We stayed in an ocean view. I would not stay in the top floor rooms, as I have a knee problem, and the staircase would be difficult to ascend. Take the time during your stay to browse the hotel grounds and Museum.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jayne52

Dear Jayne52,

First of all thank you for your new visit at La Posta Vecchia, and for having us on your bucket list!
I think that our Chef, Michelino Gioia, received the best compliment he could have, almost turning you in a fish eater.

I will be more than happy to welcoming you at our sister property Il Pellicano for your first stay there or maybe at La Posta Vecchia for the third time.

A special thanks from all the Staff for your kind words.
With regards