“One of the best ever!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Inhambane Province
Flamingo Bay Water Lodge
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“One of the best ever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2013

We had a wonderful week at Flamingo Bay which surpassed our expectations. Friendly and happy staff, awesome ( repeat awesome) food and of course the bliss of enjoying the tidal lagoon from the wooden chalets. What a place to relax, read, swim, walk and enjoy life.

Can't wait to get back!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ryan B
BarraResorts, Public Relations Manager at Flamingo Bay Water Lodge, responded to this review, 17 September 2013
Meeting expectations is great...Surpassing them is even better...so pleased you enjoyed your stay at Flamingo Bay

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2013

I stayed at Flamingo Bay Water Lodge for one night as part of my sister's wedding in July 2013. My sister and brother-in-law chose the venue as their wedding destination and I'm really glad they did! We had friends from Europe, South Africa and North America fly in to Inhambane for the wedding and I think everyone left Flamingo Bay with lots of great memories.

Personally, I found the staff at Flamingo Bay very friendly and welcoming. Yes, the entire venue was basically booked out to the wedding party so it was all-hands on deck to cater to our every need. That being said, the service was excellent. If there was something that needed to be taken care of, no matter how last minute, the staff took care of it. A great example is that we had prepared a video to show to the wedding party but we did not ask for a projector or TV in advance. The staff quickly helped us find a TV and carried it to the reception area. This is the kind of speedy problem solving you like to see from the staff.

The dinner menu was an array of seafood, meats, vegetables and desserts from many different influences and it was very well prepared. Even though it was buffet-style, the quality was there. We ate like kings and queens.

Finally, I think my review should be taken with a grain of salt, as my experience at Flamingo Bay was only for the day and night of the wedding. However, everything I experienced there was positive. I even had dives booked with Barra Lodge down the road the next morning and the staff tracked me down during the evening to confirm that a taxi would be picking me up in the morning. It was literally door-to-door service the next day and I'm glad it was because I was not exactly in tip top shape after the wedding!

For the average traveler who doesn't often spend more than a hundred USD on a hotel or motel room, Flamingo Bay will certainly feel luxurious. The rooms are clean, the property sits on a beautiful part of Inhambane and the service is personable and friendly.

Only the pickiest of travelers or patrons would be able to find any serious fault with Flamingo Bay. Definitely two thumbs up in my books.

Room Tip: Most guest rooms are actually located about a hundred meters (maybe more) from the main lobby so be...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank GYeh514
Having a wedding party on the bride and grooms most important day of their lives means staff need to up their game to avoid any hint of disappointment. I am so glad this was achieved and a good time was enjoyed by all.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2013

Visited the resort in may 2013 for my birthday. staff were helpful and very attentive. the buffet meal provided for supper for my bday was awsum and tasty. they even sang happy bday to me in portugese and brought some chocolate cake aswell.

great place to stay AT .

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Yusuf11223
BarraResorts, Public Relations Manager at Flamingo Bay Water Lodge, responded to this review, 6 August 2013
So glad you had an awesome birthday at Flamingo Bay and we look forward to welcoming you back again.
Parys
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2013

I only went to Mozambique to please my husband who was very keen on visiting. What a pleasant and amazing trip! The staff went out of their way to make it a memorable experience. I am so inspired that I am learning Portuguese for my return trip.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank hanroux
BarraResorts, Public Relations Manager at Flamingo Bay Water Lodge, responded to this review, 2 August 2013
Sometimes the best experience is arriving at your destination not sure what to expect and then being pleasantly surprised by the experience.
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2013

Value for money cannot be beaten at Flamingo Bay! Overall a pleasant stay at in a beautiful setting.

Although not as glamorous as the Vilanculos lodge's we have previously stayed at, we were not disappointed in Flamingo Bay. The staff were attentive, polite and always had a smile. The food was great, and they made a special effort for us for our anniversary dinner which was really kind and made the trip extra special. The rooms are of a good size, clean and although in need of a little TLC, overall not bad.

The setting is spectacular with amazing sunsets and you can fall asleep to the sound of the water lapping under your chalet at night.

I would highly recommend the quad bike tour around the coast, LOADS of fun and you really get a feel for the area. Also spend a day at Barra lodge (Flamingo Bay's sister lodge just down the road) where you can lie on the beach and sip R&R's at the beach bar.

Room Tip: We had room 120 right on the end and it was really private. Highly recommended.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PeanutJHB1981
Flamingo Bay is all about relaxing, enjoying the unique setting, food and all that is on offer. We are pleased that you were able to enjoy all of this and welcome you to visit us again for another enjoyable break.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2013

As the photos and other reviews suggest, this is a truly special property. Walking to your room over the wooden bridges that extend over the Bay, and having a room that sits in the water with the most amazing sunset views and ability to take a swim off of your back deck is truly unique. It's an incredibly romantic setting, and I would highly recommend it for couples for a long weekend. We were a larger group of divers, and the management was very friendly and accomodating to our needs. We went for a week when there was hardly anyone else there, so it was a peaceful, quiet and very private setting.

The food was very good, and the menu (especially for dinners) had a nice variety of carefully selected and well prepared items. Wait staff was very friendly and efficient.

In terms of negatives, it depends on the type of experience you are seeking. As a dive group, it became a little tedious to have to walk back and forth from our rooms to the front gate where the truck picked us up each morning to head to the dive shop at Barra Beach resort. Looking back, it would've been much more convenient to just stay at Barra for easy access to diving and the beach, although we would've missed out on the amazing Flamingo Bay experience. Also, there is nothing "lively" about the experience. It is quiet, serene and very romantic, which was nice for our group for a couple of nights to allow us to unwind. Overall though, Barra was a little more fun and energetic.

I'm not sure how typical it is, but our rooms lost power 2 or 3 nights that we were there and, one evening, we didn't have water. That may have been due to the weather which was very windy and a little cold, or perhaps is just the nature of this type of property that sits on the water. Either way, it's something to be aware of.

I didn't use the pool because it was too cold, but it was quite small with only a few chairs. It would be lovely if the property had a hot tub, but it may be too difficult to heat it. The massage service was nice, but not overly luxurious. In fact, the overall experience was not one that I would put in the "luxury" category, but more rustic and quaint. I would however, recommend that you stay here, even if only for 2 or 3 nights, to experience such a unique and beautiful place.

Room Tip: The rooms on the end will give you the most privacy (101 is one of them).
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank PJDNY
We are pleased you enjoyed your stay at Flamingo Bay with your group of divers. The staff put a lot of effort into ensuring the guest experience is as expected. Unfortunately power and water can be a little troublesome at times and this is dealt with a speadily as possible so not to inconvenience guests however this is not always possible and we fully understand your frustrations.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

My partner and I stayed here for a long weekend in April. It was our second time here. The first time we stayed we were not impressed by the menu and food at all. We thought we would give it another try, however we were again disappointed. This time, the breakfast options were half what we were offered the previous stay, and the dinner menu was unimpressive for a place that charges what they do. Our second complaint is that on our first morning there, upon waking and enjoying the beautiful view, we had to witness toilet paper and sewerage floating in the water next to our chalet. The pipes under the chalets had disconnected under our chalet which links to 4 chalets. There was also a terrible smell. Upon our neighbours flushing the toilet, we had to witness the same thing again. This meant we were unable to swim in the water, and this was the main reason for our stay! We reported it at reception, and upon our return we noticed it had been fixed. However the next day we had the same problem. This is neither healthy nor ecologically safe. Unfortunately, we will not be back. A positive however, is the outstanding service by the staff and reception.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SadieSteytler
BarraResorts, Public Relations Manager at Flamingo Bay Water Lodge, responded to this review, 30 May 2013
Thank you for your frank review. Maintenance is an on going priority and as you well described the problem you encountered was dealt with promptly. Unfortunately these type of problems do not give us any warning as is the case anywhere hence the prompt response by the staff. Your concern about the meals will be taken up with management as is always the case for the maintenance of our standards and service at our lodges.