“Flamingo Bay run down”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Inhambane Province
Flamingo Bay Water Lodge
Reviewed 2 October 2013

We were very disappointed with the quality and staff of the lodge as well as the service. With such a beautiful setting, and rated 5 star we could not believe what we experienced.
1. Manageress never ever greeted us or checked in on us
2. Staff were terribly slow and under trained
- We asked for coffee which arrived so late it was cold
- No towels around the swimming pool, asked for some and never received
- Mess (empty glasses, used ashtrays) around the pool was never cleaned up, we had to constantly ask for it to be removed
- The complementary milk in our bedroom was never replaced
3. The spa facilities were terrible, a bedroom with 2 beds, no aircon and someone who couldn't do most of the stuff on the menu. I was told she could only do a basic facial. No eyebrow shaping or waxing etc
4. The internet for "free wifi" was constantly down
5. The Television was broken and in the 5 days we were there they couldn't manage to fix it (we had 2 rainy windy days and wanted to watch the sport)
6. The steps to the water from our bedroom were broken
7. Breakfast was average, with a choice of 3 cereals and one yogurt that always ran out, if you did not get there early enough you also missed out on the bacon.
8. Could not order a cuppachino or latte etc as their coffee machine was broken.
9. They did not have fresh juice available during the day and the only cold drink you could order besides alcohol was: Fanta, crème soda, sparletta...fizzy drinks
10. On their lunch Menu their seafood pizza was never available.

Basically we constantly got told the following:
"its broken"
"its out of stock"
"we don't have"
"we've run out"

It was overall a disappointing experience considering the way it is portrayed on their website.

Room Tip: All rooms are the same. It's a long walking distance to the main lodge from all the rooms.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Megan M
BarraResorts, Public Relations Manager at Flamingo Bay Water Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2013

Hi Megan. Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. I have noted all the points you raise and will certainly be taking this up with lodge management as we strive to match expectations with experience and value

Reviewed 28 August 2013

We spent the first three nights of our honeymoon here. I had read mixed reviews on this site prior to departing and was nervous as the destination was a surprise for my new bride. I can say that my concerns were swiftly put to rest when we arrived.
When choosing a hotel or resort, where you go depends on what you are looking for, for us this was exactly what we needed. peace, privacy and time together.
We were left alone when we wanted to be, attended to when we needed it and the balance was very nicely maintained. The little extra touches that were put on as part of the 'honeymoon turn-down service' made us feel very special and were a nice touch. especially for my wife.

If you are looking for 24/7 activity or a bustling nightlife, go somewhere else. If you are looking for long walks in peace and quiet nights over the water, then book this place.

Absolute bliss!

Room Tip: Tell the booking agents if its for a special occasion. they know what's best. we had room 120 an...
2  Thank Zach L
BarraResorts, Public Relations Manager at Flamingo Bay Water Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2013

Its always very pleasing to pass comments such as yours onto management and staff at the lodge. Thank you for taking the time to write a review and all the very best for your future together

Reviewed 27 August 2013

I traveled to Mozambique in February and stayed at this fabulous hotel, although note that it is more geared towards couples and honeymooners as no kids under 12 are allowed. Flamingo Lodge is situated in a lagoon, and it was ingenious and amazing that you can climb down a small ladder from your wooden chalets if you want to go for a swim. I enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere, they also have a spa on the premises and if you feel like more activities their hourly shuttle can take you down to the neighbouring Barra Lodge which has everything on offer and even boasts their own diving centre. Flamingo is a great resort lodge, true paradise in Mozambique.

- Martina Schacke (Jenman Safaris; Agent Series Teamleader)

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank JenmanSafaris

It is always satisfying to read reviews such as yours as well as pass these comments on to the lodge as this gives great satisfaction to management and staff alike

Reviewed 20 August 2013

look like the resorts in polinesia, but is even better! because here you stay in two places without to move! When the sea is at highest level, you are in the middle of sea. If you arrive in the night it is simply magic.
then you walk up in the morning and the beach is kilometers far! you think in the night one elicopter take your bungalow and transported away!
the service is gentle and they care of you.

2  Thank Gabriele M

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to have met your expectations.

Reviewed 18 August 2013

We stayed here in early August for 4 nights at the end of an adventure holiday (last before eldest son went to Uni). We had been at the Kruger (early starts for Game Drives) and Tofo (diving and whale watching) so we needed a last bit of relaxation. Before I arrived I was calling this 'my pretend Maldives' but that is not the right description - Flamingo Bay is unique in its own right and absolutely beautiful.
We didn't get room 120 - we got 117 (for the boys) and 118 (for my husband and me) and although I can see the appeal of being right on the end with a view of the flamingos and estuary, these rooms were fantastic and on the sunset side.
We were welcomed and looked after really well and our waiters Roberto (mornings) and Guildo (evenings) made sure we had the table of our choice and they were charming.
Food was excellent - varied and delicious - I really liked the line fish salad for lunch.
I loved the relaxed atmosphere; loved my room over the water and all I can say is if you get the chance and you need to chill out then go there.
Great massage and good internet connection made the stay even better.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank TravelWins
Reviewed 16 August 2013

We had a wonderful week at Flamingo Bay which surpassed our expectations. Friendly and happy staff, awesome ( repeat awesome) food and of course the bliss of enjoying the tidal lagoon from the wooden chalets. What a place to relax, read, swim, walk and enjoy life.

Can't wait to get back!

2  Thank Ryan B

Meeting expectations is great...Surpassing them is even better...so pleased you enjoyed your stay at Flamingo Bay

Reviewed 9 August 2013

I stayed at Flamingo Bay Water Lodge for one night as part of my sister's wedding in July 2013. My sister and brother-in-law chose the venue as their wedding destination and I'm really glad they did! We had friends from Europe, South Africa and North America fly in to Inhambane for the wedding and I think everyone left Flamingo Bay with lots of great memories.

Personally, I found the staff at Flamingo Bay very friendly and welcoming. Yes, the entire venue was basically booked out to the wedding party so it was all-hands on deck to cater to our every need. That being said, the service was excellent. If there was something that needed to be taken care of, no matter how last minute, the staff took care of it. A great example is that we had prepared a video to show to the wedding party but we did not ask for a projector or TV in advance. The staff quickly helped us find a TV and carried it to the reception area. This is the kind of speedy problem solving you like to see from the staff.

The dinner menu was an array of seafood, meats, vegetables and desserts from many different influences and it was very well prepared. Even though it was buffet-style, the quality was there. We ate like kings and queens.

Finally, I think my review should be taken with a grain of salt, as my experience at Flamingo Bay was only for the day and night of the wedding. However, everything I experienced there was positive. I even had dives booked with Barra Lodge down the road the next morning and the staff tracked me down during the evening to confirm that a taxi would be picking me up in the morning. It was literally door-to-door service the next day and I'm glad it was because I was not exactly in tip top shape after the wedding!

For the average traveler who doesn't often spend more than a hundred USD on a hotel or motel room, Flamingo Bay will certainly feel luxurious. The rooms are clean, the property sits on a beautiful part of Inhambane and the service is personable and friendly.

Only the pickiest of travelers or patrons would be able to find any serious fault with Flamingo Bay. Definitely two thumbs up in my books.

Room Tip: Most guest rooms are actually located about a hundred meters (maybe more) from the main lobby so be...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank GYeh514

Having a wedding party on the bride and grooms most important day of their lives means staff need to up their game to avoid any hint of disappointment. I am so glad this was achieved and a good time was enjoyed by all.