“Fabulous dinner”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Inhambane Province
Flamingo Bay Water Lodge
Rome
“Fabulous dinner”
Reviewed 25 August 2014

I did not stay at the hotel but I went to Flamingo for an evening meal. The hotel is basically built on stilts over a lagoon so to get around the hotel you walk on quaint wooden walkways. I had dinner and it consisted of a traditional Mozambican fish soup, the whole family enjoyed including the kids, an appetizer, in our case we had lovely garlic snails and a choice of mains. We all had different mains, I believe my prawn curry was the best, but my other half argues that his fresh barracuda fillet was better.dessert was chocolate mousse or a fabulous coconut tart, definetely a wonderful evening, particularly for adults as it is a honey moon destination.

Room Tip: No kids under 12
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
BarraInhambane, Online marketing at Flamingo Bay Water Lodge, responded to this review, 29 October 2014
Thank you Ana, we are glad you all enjoyed your dinner!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Johannesburg
Reviewed 14 August 2014

We travelled to Flamingo Bay for 4 nights on 8 August 2014. Although the setting is beautiful, unfortunately the lodge is very run down. It is in serious need of maintenance. The sun beds at the pool were broken, the cushions were torn, there were no pool towels and the pool area was infested with fleas! I have been bitten all over my body and look like I have miesels. The food was really a disaster. The best meal we got in the 5 days was on the flight back to SA!

The rooms were not bad and we enjoyed the walks to and from the main lodge. Don't think I would have been as happy to walk that way in the hot summer. The first day we got decent bath towels but thereafter we got towels that were old and had stains and holes.

My husband booked a massage for us for the second day. My masseuse's hands were extremely rough. I found out later that she was one of the cleaners! We also later found out that my husbands masseuse is also a cleaner!

The service was really not great. I sat at the pool area the one morning for more than half a hour and not one of the 10 waiters came to offer a drink. I was the only guest there at that time. Thanks goes to Francesco the waiter who did look after us when he was on duty.

Definitely not 5 star! In fact I would not even give it 2 stars. We were extremely disappointed!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank AlikiD
Good day Aliki

Thank you for your feedback, we apologise that you found your stay with us disappointing. We have taken notes of your concerns and have dealt with them constructively. We have made many changes in both controls and staffing and believe we have sorted them all.

We hope should you visit again you will see the improvements

Regards

The Flamingo Team
Cape Town
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Amazing friendly & attentive service from all the staff from the moment we landed. The water chalets are rustic, but very comfortable and the setting over the tidal lagoon is magic. Up to three metres of water below the chalet at high tide and dry sand at low tide.

Incredible sunsets, peace and quiet to enjoy a lazy day - but with the option of heading to the beach and walk along the sand as if it were a private beach. We walked daily building up an appetite for grilled prawns washed down with cold Manica beers at Barra Lodge for lunch before returning for a four course meal each evening. Soups were outstanding as was the fresh fish.

The 500m walk under the stars along the boardwalk, back to our chalet, was a perfect finish to each wonderful day.

Like General MacArthur - "we will be back ...!"

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AndrewMCapeTown
Thank you Andrew, we are glad you enjoyed your stay!
Reviewed 17 July 2014

This place was really disappointing and is certainly not 5 star.

We booked a multi accommodation stay in Mozambique as we wanted a blend of simplicity and luxury.
The first 5 days were in Blue Footprints Eco lodge which was amazing, the remaining five days were intended to be at Flamingo Bay but we left after 3 nights and returned to Blue Footprints. I think this speaks for itself.

Upon arrival the greeting was pretty lame as the staff appeared to be a touch confused that anyone had arrived, this was eventually sorted as we were guided into the TV room whilst they did so.
They eventually took us to our room which was a long walk out over the estuary to the cabins, I believe there was once a golf cart which did this which would have been a nice touch.
When the tide is out the bay doesn’t look that great as the dark sand looks a little like mud, it does however look stunning when the tide is in with Flamingos dotted throughout.

When arriving at our room we noticed that all but four of them have the sun setting on their back balcony – ours didn’t and they couldn’t move us as the only guests in the hotel at the time were in those four rooms. They did offer to move us at a later stage but we had already decided to return to Blue Footprints.

The rooms are a good size and have all you would expect but are quite dark and gloomy which is a shame as when the tide comes in the view is very nice.
The Mini bar was empty which is not expected with accommodation of this level.

On each of our evenings here the food was distinctly average and having been in Mozambique for a week already we knew what was on offer.
My wife advised that her curry on the first evening was like some bland fish with a tin of soup poured on top.

The service was ok and the staff tried hard but it was clear that there was no direction from anyone senior.

There was also a distinct lack of atmosphere of any type, i.e. no back ground music or activity to help this.

The breakfast was worse I'm afraid with a poor buffet with food that looked like it had been out some time and cold coffee everyday.
My usual position of ‘revert to eggs’ didn’t appear to work either as the chap cooking them looked to be poorly trained and broke all of the eggs I had whilst there.

The buildings themselves look to be very tired and in need of refurbishment, especially the pool area which needs painting and a bit of a clean.
I'm wondering whether the reason for previous good reviews for Flamingo Bay relate to the fact that we went in low season and that they up their game when busy. If this is the case then it’s a real shame as it could be so good.
We didn’t try the Spa itself as we decided to leave before this point and spend our money on return to Blue Footprints.

The WIFI hardly worked at all whist we were there and I will give the reception credit, they did allow us to use their PC whilst this was the case.

There is a free hourly transfer to Barra dive centre daily, although the jeep is pretty grubby and clearly used for transporting good also.
The only plus was an English guys who helped us a couple of times and he appears to be the only person attempting to manage in any way.

As I mentioned the staff here really do try hard, it just lacks management and investment.

Sorry 

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kevin D
BarraResorts, Public Relations Manager at Flamingo Bay Water Lodge, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Hi Kevin. Thank you for the review. We certainly do take these reviews seriously and will be sending this on to management for their attention.
Knysna, South Africa
Reviewed 23 June 2014

The staff were welcoming, friendly and helpful, the dining service was excellent, the food was great, the sunsets from the cabin’s deck (120) at high tide was stunning and the care taken to ensure my engagement plans and all the other activities where met, was impeccably planned by the manager, Aldo.

The arrangements felt effortless from the initial inquiry to checking out and I could not have asked for a better place to propose and spend a romantic 5 nights, it was perfect, despite the weather not playing ball!!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank dean323
BarraResorts, Public Relations Manager at Flamingo Bay Water Lodge, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear Dean. Thank you for the review and we are once again so pleased to hear that Flamingo Bay stood up to it's reputation
East London
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Our honeymoon to Italy was postponed so we decided to spend three days At Flamingo Bay as a consolation. Initially I thought the package was quite pricey , but I was soon happy to part with my money when I saw thus paradise. We spent most of our time basking in the sun on our private deck and enjoying complimentary champagne. We were not disturbed - it was like a safe haven for us to relax and enjoy one another's company! Dinner was fantastic - the seafood divine and fresh! Breakfast was good although I prefer stronger percolated coffee. The best part was the wonderful service we received- the staff went out of their way to see to our every need. However give the spa a miss - I actually heard my husband whimper in pain during his massage! Our last night was extra special as dinner was prepared with candlelight and flowers and entertainment! I was so grateful to find this hidden gem and will def return for some r&r :)

Room Tip: The first room in the corner is the nicest
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Varsha0808
Honeymoons are special occasions and Flamingo is proud to offer a setting to match. We wish you well in your lives together and look forward to welcoming you back in the future
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I went with my wife an a friend couple. The atmosphere of the place, the food, the cottages and the place is simple amazing. It would be great to keep it this way. Having a drink at the swimming pool at dawn (ask for a Fernando) it`s a great experience.Visiting the town of Inhambane will give you a good idea of how friendly the Mozambique people are.

Room Tip: Try every single plate of the menu, are all worth it.The food is amazing!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Gaita74
It was great hosting you at Flamingo Bay and we look forward to welcoming you back again