“Lovely night away in a lovely hotel”
Review of Barnett Hill Hotel

Barnett Hill Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wonersh
London
“Lovely night away in a lovely hotel”
Reviewed 27 September 2011

We decided to spend our first anniversary at Barnett Hill and we got a really good deal that included dinner and a bottle of wine. Our room was in the main house and was lovely and light with 3 big windows overlooking the gorgeous grounds. Dinner was very nice (although my husband's avocado parfait was odd to say the least!)
We had a huge really comfortable bed and got a good night's sleep (well at least until the person in the next room decided to come back and make a heck of a racket)
Breakfast was really good - lots of choice and really good quality.
There's no getting away from the fact that this is primarily a conference venue but the benefits of that are the really good weekend deals you can get.
My only gripe would be that the coffee machine on our corridor that normally gives unlimited coffee to conference delegates was switched off when we were there so we couldn't have any.
But overall this was a really nice overnight stay and we'd definitely go back.

Room Tip: make sure you get a room in the main house. It;s a bit more expensive but worth it.
1 Thank lovezholidayz
Barnetthill, General Manager at Barnett Hill Hotel, responded to this review, 29 September 2011
Thank you very much for taking the time and trouble to write a review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at Barnett Hill. I was pleased to read that you found our current dinner, bed and breakfast offer very good value for money and that you were able to take advantage of this offer to celebrate the occasion of your first anniversary with us.

I found your comment regarding your husband's Avocado Parfait interesting and on further investigation I suspect this may have been due to it having a slightly curried flavour which perhaps on reflection was not expected and we should make clearer in our menu description whenever this dish is featured.

Whilst I accept that majority of our business during the week tends to be conference and meetings based we are very concious of the varing needs of all our guests and therefore we always do our utmost to ensure we make everyone feel equally welcome and as comfortable as possible.

I thank you for your positive comments regarding breakfast and I'm sorry that the only things that apparently slightly marred the enjoyment of your stay with us were the noisy behaviour of a fellow guest in the room next to yours and the fact that our coffee machines on the 1st floor were turned off.

I am delighted however that overall you had an enjoyable stay and would definately return again in the future when we look forward to doing our utmost to ensure you are well looked after.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 September 2011

Just returned from a truly wonderful break at Barnett Hill,the staff at this hotel are,without doubt,the best I have encountered for many a year.Every single member took great pride in their job and performed it to perfection.The food was outstanding and the grounds and location of the hotel top class.
The view from our room in the main building was truly memorable.I can't wait to visit the hotel again

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room with a garden view
1 Thank Kazzie1
Barnetthill, General Manager at Barnett Hill Hotel, responded to this review, 23 September 2011
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to complete a review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at Barnett Hill. I was delighted to learn that the service and hospitality we provided was very much appreciated and that you found the food and surroundings exceeded your expectations. I have passed your comments on to the rest of the team who are all very grateful to you for your endorsement of their efforts since our aim is always to ensure that our guests are well looked after. We look forward to being of service to you again in the future when you are next in the area.
Farnborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 September 2011

Letter of Thanks to Barnett Hill after wedding day:

We've just got back from honeymoon and I just wanted to say thank you so so much for making our day so very special. It really was the best day of our lives and that was thanks to you immaculate planning and execution of everything on the day.

From the moment we booked our wedding with Barnett Hill the service and attention that we have received is some of the best we have ever received anywhere.

No query we had was to big and you all literally gave an immediate yes to anything at all that we requested. All of our requests and desires were remembered and followed through down to the smallest detail.

From beginning through to the very end we really did feel we were in the absolute best hands possible.

And to top it all of it was an absolute pleasure to deal with all of the staff. Even though we were the third of three weddings that weekend we didn't get the slighest sense of that in anyway. The beams and smiles and excellent service from everyone at Barnett Hill made me feel like it could have been the first wedding you'd had all year!

If you could also pass our specific thanks on to Mary-Ann, the job that she carried out on the day was just fantastic. Everything ran so smoothly that we barely noticed it all moving from one part of the day to the next - she was just superb.

Finally - the wedding breakfast was also absolutely incredible - the amount of comments that we had on the day and afterwards were huge! It was even better than during out tasting session - just delicious.

I really cannot extend my thanks to you enough Katie, you have been truely fantastic.

We look forward to coming back to Barnett Hill for every wedding anniversary in the future!

You have a fantatsic venue there and a wonderful team and I wish you every success for the future.

1 Thank Michelintravels
Barnetthill, General Manager at Barnett Hill Hotel, responded to this review, 21 September 2011
Thank you very much for taking the time and trouble to complete a review on Trip Advisor following your wedding reception held at Barnett Hill on Sunday 4th September and for your very kind comments. It was a pleasure to look after you and your guests and I am delighted that we were able to meet with and where possible, exceed your expectations.

I have already passed your comments on to the rest of the team and in particular those team members and departments you have mentioned in person. It is always very gratifying to learn when all our efforts have been appreciated and it makes our jobs all the more worthwhile for which I thank you once again.

As referred to in your review, we look forward to hopefully being of service to you again in the future when celebrating your anniversaries and hope that we will continue to live up to your expectations and enable you to re-live the memories of what was undoubtedly one of, if not the most important day of your lives.
Southampton
Reviewed 11 September 2011

I stayed here overnight as part of a 2 day course with work. The room, located in the main old building, was excellent (one of the best I have stayed in). There was ample space in the double room and a lovely, large bedroom with high spec fittings. The grounds are superb and this was a fantastic, tranquil location for the fairly intense 2 day course I was on (which required no distractions and a comfortable setting). Staff could not have been more courteous or helpful. The food and amenities were excellent. It would make a great wedding venue and in fact does as there was a wedding the day of our departure. Highly, highly recommend for away days or a tranquil weekend break.

Room Tip: Try and book a room in the main, old building. May be more expensive but worth the money.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank mrcrdeacon
Barnetthill, General Manager at Barnett Hill Hotel, responded to this review, 12 September 2011
Thank you very much for taking the time and trouble to complete a review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at Barnett Hill whilst attending a residential personal development course recently. I was delighted to learn that you found your accommodation and the tranquil setting of the property so relaxing and a perfect match for your specific needs. Thank you also for your vey kind comments regarding the courtesy and helpfulness shown to you by various members of the team during your stay. I will most certainly share your comments with my colleagues and hopefully we may be of service to you again either for business or for pleasure in the not too distant future.
Maisons-Laffitte, France
Reviewed 9 September 2011

Arrived at the hotel at 3:45pm after a long drive from Paris only to be told that our rooms wouldn't be ready until 6pm (we discovered later that a film crew had been there the previous night and had been allowed to keep their rooms the whole of the following day - obviously film crews are given priority over "regular" guests!). We were eventually shown to our rooms, which were "standard" rooms in the annex and not the higher standard "classic" rooms we had booked in the main house (we rejected one room in the annex because it was dark and dingy). Presumably we couldn't have rooms in the main house because there was a wedding reception in the main part of the hotel and the hotel wanted to accommodate all the wedding guesst together - again wedding guests trump "regular" guests!

We had booked for 2 nights but checked out after 1 night: Carpets were dirty, the bathroom in one of the rooms was mouldy and wallpaper was hanging off the ceiling (see photo) - my wife is currently undergoing chemo so we considered this a health risk for her. The rooms in the annex (stable block) need serious modernisation.

To their credit the hotel staff gave us a 50% discount on the room (discovered after that this discount was based on the price of the more expensive "classic" rooms so we probably ended up paying close to the 100% rate anyway!) and gave us a voucher for a free night's stay (which we will not be using for fear of ending up again in the stable block).

The public areas of the hotel are clean and the building itself and the grounds are beautiful. It's just a shame the rooms are in such a poor state. Would be reluctant to return.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank StourGrove
Barnetthill, General Manager at Barnett Hill Hotel, responded to this review, 16 September 2011
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to complete a review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay with us and I offer you my sincere apologies for any apparent disappointment you were caused in respect of the overall standard of your accommodation since it is never our intention to have anyone leave Barnett Hill feeling anything other than completely satisfied and I am very sorry that we failed to meet entirely with your expectations on this occasion.

It was regrettable that your rooms were not available for you upon your arrival and I apologise for the resultant delay that this caused following the later than originally agreed departure of some of our guests who had been filming overnight in the local area and who had apparently overslept. Please be reassured that this is not a regular occurance and our rooms are usually always available from 1.30 p.m. on the day of arrival.

Our reason for deciding to allocate you rooms in the Courtyard accommodation was to avoid the posibility of you being disturbed during the second night of your intended stay by the evening entertainment arranged for the wedding that was taking place and I apologise once again if this was not explained to you fully at the time.

I am very sorry that a recent leak from the room above had resulted in a section of wallpaper coming away from the ceiling in the bathroom of your room. This has since been repaired by our on site maintenance team and we do have a rolling programme of continuous improvement in place with the specific emphasis being on the upgrading and modernisation of some of our more traditional rooms.

I thank you for acknowledging the fact that we offered to recompense you for the inconvenience you were caused at the time of your stay and I do hope that you will reconsider your decision not to return to Barnett Hill again in the future when you have my personal assurance that we will do our utmost to ensure you are well looked after. In the meantime however, I wish you and your wife well and send our best wishes to your wife for a speedy recovery following her recent treatment.
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 13 August 2011

We stayed at Barnett Hill while visiting friends in nearby Ewhurst. The rooms are cosy and clean, and coffee/tea is provided. The bathrooms are small-ish but adequate. There is plenty of free parking. The breakfast is lovely, and you can enjoy it outdoors in their spectacular garden.

We found the service overall to be fine, *but* the pub closed early one night we were there - she said it was due to boredom and lack of customers, but wow, keep your posted hours - and when we asked for a late check-out they couldn't accommodate us because the night staff couldn't get the computer to work.

Overall we were very pleased, and will certainly return as we often visit the area.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Barnetthill, General Manager at Barnett Hill Hotel, responded to this review, 16 August 2011
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write a review of the service and hospitality you received from us on Trip Advisor. Your feedback is greatly appreciated and I thank you for your positive comments. Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience you may have been caused as a result of the bar closing slightly early on one occasion during your stay and be assured that this would only ever occur in exceptional circumstances when we are very quiet however, our Night Managers do have access to the bar after midnight and they are always available throughout the night to serve drinks to any guests requiring a nightcap after the bar has closed.
With regard to the availability of a late check-out option this is generally available by prior arrangement and we are happy to accommodate such requests if our occupancy levels on your day of departure enable us to do so. Regrettably at the time of your stay the member of night staff on duty was a member of our temporary team covering holidays and he did not have the necessary access to amend your booking details overnight which is something we may need to address in future. Once again please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused you and I look forward to being of service to you again in the future when you are next visiting friends in the area.
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2011

We booked Barnet Hill as a venue for a one-day retreat for a group entrepreneurs that I mentor. I have to say that we have booked many other hotels and conference venues over the years, and we have never, but never, had an experience that even begins to compare to that at Barnett Hill. There is nearly always something that niggles, or staff incompetence, or just plain disorganisation. Not so at Barnett Hill.

The building itself is lovely, and it is in a beautiful setting. The moment you walk in there is a sense of occasion. The staff are outstanding. Every person we dealt with, without exception, couldn't have been more helpful, friendly or pleasant, even the night porter was amazing. The service throughout was exceptional. Someone was always there when you needed them, but they kept discreetly out of the way when you didn't. Somehow they have achieved that perfect balance that is so rarely encountered elsewhere.

The bedroom we had was great in every way. So was the meeting room. The free WiFi worked perfectly first time and every time throughout the building. The attention to detail was again exceptional. And so was the food. One of our number was formerly a Michelin Star Chef at the Connaught hotel and he rated the pastry chef at Barnett Hill as the best he had ever encountered anywhere. He also could not fault the dinner. High praise indeed. On the subject of the pastry chef, we had ordered mid-afternoon tea and cakes. I normally don't go a bundle on the sort of thing served up by most hotels. But this was different. Every bite was a delight. It was seriously good.

The contrast between our experience at Barnett Hill and all the other hotels we have used, including De Vere, Barcelo, Hilton and others was quite frankly remarkable. On this experience I cannot recommend this venue, or the Sundial Group highly enough. They set a very high standard indeed. And if it wasn't for the geographical limitations of being near Guildford when the members of my groups are spread throughout the UK, I would book this venue permanently and never even contemplate any alternatives. Yes it is THAT good.

As it is we have already booked Highgate House, another Sundial property, but more centrally located, for our December retreat, and we cannot wait to experience this excellence again.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Barnetthill, General Manager at Barnett Hill Hotel, responded to this review, 2 August 2011
Thank you so much for your very positive comments regarding many aspects of the service and hospitality you received from us during your recent event. It is always very satisfying to learn that we have met and wherever possible exceeded the expectations of our clients and your endorsement of our efforts is greatly appreciated. As an independant, family owned and operated business our reputation and the quality and committment of the team of people we have around us is our greatest asset. As such, I have shared your comments with the rest of the team and in particular our pastry chef who was extremely flattered by the high praise she received from one of your colleagues. Once again it was a pleasure to be of service to you and your colleagues. Furthermore, I am sure you will have an equally satisfying experience at our sister property Highgate House in Northampton later on this year and we look forward to hopefully being of service to you again at Barnett Hill some time in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wonersh
Guildford Harbour Hotel
Manor House Hotel & Spa
Manor House Hotel & Spa
#11 of 11 in Guildford
Angel Posting House and Livery

Been to Barnett Hill Hotel? Share your experiences!