“The only place to stay in Guildford!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Barnett Hill Hotel

Barnett Hill Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wonersh
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“The only place to stay in Guildford!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2012

What a fantastic find! Stayed here on business last month and got a great price on the room - think it was £75 for b&b, chose this hotel because it could 'billback' and invoice us after our stay which is useful when you dont have a company credit card. After reading the reviews on here we requested rooms in the main house - I believe the annexe type buildings in the grounds are not as nice.
I stayed on the 2nd floor of the main building...worth noting that there was no lift, not sure what there provisions are for disabled people but if you're not good with stairs you may struggle here.
Cost £11 in a taxi from Guildford train station and is located in a semi rural part of Guildford down lots of little tracks - wouldnt fancy finding it driving here but I'm sure you'd be OK with SatNav.
When you enter the building reception isnt well signposted but it is a lovely building, old, quirky and full of antiques and original features. Check in was efficient.
My room was stunning - lovely roman blinds, neutral decor, comfy double with immaculately clean white bed linen, room L shaped with a lovely desk area tucked in the corner and an excellent 'hospitality' tray = usual tea/coffee plus yummy biscuits and 2 bottles of mineral water plus an alarm clock/ipod docking station.
Bathroom was great, very neutral with rainfall shower and 'White Company' toiletries.
We ate in the hotel restaurant and I had a starter of mozerella salad plus a main of roast cod with chorizo and white beans for just £16 and the coffee afterwards came with excellent chocolate petit fours.
Breakfast was delicious, excellent hot buffet, eggs, mushrooms etc delicious.
All in all a throughly enjoyable stay, gorgeous accomodation (shame it wasnt a leisure visit so I could have had a walk in the beautiful, vast grounds) lovely food and complimented by professional, friendly staff.
Very highly recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main house.
1 Thank monkeystar861
Barnetthill, General Manager at Barnett Hill Hotel, responded to this review, 6 February 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time and trouble to submit a review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at Barnett Hill whilst on business in the area. I was delighted to note that you were so pleased with the services and facilities provided and I thank you for your very positive comments.

From your comments I beleive you stayed in room 25 which is one of our more recently refurbished rooms and it was therefore very satisfying to read your comments regarding the room's decor and layout since, this is our current specification for all future refurbishments we have planned both in the main house and courtyard.

I thank you for your comments regarding the food provided during dinner and at breakfast since all our food is freshly prepared including the petit fours which are handmade on site, using wherever possible fresh, seasonal, local produce and it is always very gratifying to know when the efforts of our kitchen brigade have been appreciated

I sincerely hope that you will have the opportunity to stay with us again in the future whether on business or at leisure and I can highly recommend May as a beautiful time of year to see the gardens and grounds at their best.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Warwick, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2012

Having stayed here regularly I was looking forward to my room.
I was told at reception that I had a single bed but I was shocked at the size of my room- 1.8m x 2.7m- smaller than a prison cell. It had a slanting wall due to the external roof structure that made it claustophobic and difficult to even sit up in bed.
I was disgusted at this size considering the premium price for this room. I spoke to fellow customer who also complained at the confined space provided.
The manager on duty agreed to reduce the price to £35 which I accepted, but these rooms need to be discounted or at least come with a warning so we can choose other hotels if this is all they have left.
this hotel has some good rooms but they need to be realistic about the price of the smaller rooms.

Room Tip: check room size!!!!
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Barnetthill, General Manager at Barnett Hill Hotel, responded to this review, 3 February 2012
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit a review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at Barnett Hill and I am very sorry that on this occssion we apparently failed to meet entirely with your expectation having stayed with us on two seperate occsasions in the past.

Having reviewed your reservation which was made on line shortly prior to your arrival I have noted that you reserved a single room but requested a double bedded room for single occupancy if this was available. Unfortunately on the evening in question we were fully booked and at the time you made your reservation, we only had one single room available so could not accommodate your request as we had done in the past at no additional charge.

As Barnett Hill is a 106 year old grade 2* listed property and as such, we do have a range of bedroom types both within the main house and the courtyard all of which vary in terms of size and appointment which some might consider is part of the charm of such a property. I completely accept that the single room you were allocated which was the last room available that night is one of our smaller rooms although, its overal dimensions are slightly larger than you have indicated in your review and as such, this is reflected in the rate charged in comparison to other room types.

With regard to the offer of a rate reduction, my understanding is that this was made in relation to an apparent problem you reported regarding the lack central heating in your room overnight and I thank you for bringing this to our attention as it helped highlight a potentially more serious issue that we wre able to quickly rectify the following day as a result.

Our rates for overnight accommodation are generally some of the most competive in the Guildford area and we maintain a regular check on what our competitors are charging in order to retain our reputation for value for money in the local market, especially given that the rates quoted are inclusive of full English breakfast, service, vat and the other facilities available such as complimetary WiFi throughout the property, bottled mineral water in all our bedrooms and complimentary biscuits, sweets and fruit avaialable on departure for your onward journey.

With regard to informing guests of what types of room are available prior their arrival we would be pleased to offer this information whenever requested however, in the case of your most recent stay with us this was only not possible due to the lateness of your on line reservation made approximately 90 minutes prior to you arrival and the fact that you had requested a single room which was all that we had available.

Once again I am very sorry that we apparently failed to meet entirely with your expections on this occasion since it is never our intention to have anyone leave Barnett Hill feeling anything other than completely satisfied. I therefore hope that you will stay with us again in the future when you are next in the area when you have my personal assurance we will do our utmost to ensure you are well looked after.
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2012

Stayed one night here for a business meeting the following day, very pleasant surroundings, staff helpful and polite, and everything clean and well presented. My room was in a separate lodge and yes the rooms are a little small, but for what I needed this was ideal, cannot fault the cleanliness of the room, kettle, tea, biscuits, TV and free Wi-Fi all laid on. Complimentary water, sweets and fruit in the main reception.

Had a very tasty meal in the restaurant with a blazing log fire in the background. Breakfast plentiful, absolutely no complaints from this weary traveller!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Barnetthill, General Manager at Barnett Hill Hotel, responded to this review, 31 January 2012
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit a review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at Barnett Hill. I was delighted to note that we met with your expectations throughout the course of your stay with us and that you appreciated the services and facilities available to you following what sounds like a long and arduous day on the road!

I do hope that we may be of service to you again in the future when you are next in the area and once again I thank you for your very positive comments which are greatly appreciated by all the team at Barnett Hill.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2012

The rooms are tiny, more like a boarding room hostel as this is essentially a conference facility. The food is ok and I would not come back unless it was for a conference that was being held there.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Barnetthill, General Manager at Barnett Hill Hotel, responded to this review, 23 January 2012
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit a review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at Barnett Hill whilst attending a conference. I am sorry that you were somewhat disappointed with the size of your bedroom and the overall quality of the food provided since it is never our intention to have our guests leave Barnett Hill feeling anything other than completely satisfied.

As Barnett Hill is a grade 2* listed country house a significant proportion of our bedrooms vary in terms of size, style and appointment and I apologise if, on this occasion you found your bedroom too small for your liking. We do have a number of larger rooms and should you consider staying with us again in the future I would be pleased to ensure that you are allocated one of these rooms should they be available.

As you have stated, Barnett Hill is primarily a residential conference and events venue and not a hotel as such however, by and large we are able to provide a very similar range of services and facilities and our aim is always to try and meet and where possible exceed the varying needs of all our guests.

I am sorry that on this occasion you found the food provided to be uninspiring and I have discussed this general comment with my kitchen brigade as the food we serve is freshly prepared with menus changing daily. As a result of this we take all forms of constructive feedback very seriously indeed since it enables us to review what we provide and make changes wherever necessary.

I do hope you might re-consider your decision not to re-visit Barnett Hill other than for business in the future as I am confident that we would be able to meet with your expectations and you have my personal assurance that you would be well looked after.
Norfolk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2012

Originally a wealthy gentleman’s residence built around 1910, Barnett Hill seems to cater largely for corporate events during the week and weddings at weekends. But there is some “B&B” trade and we stayed for three nights over a weekend. There was a wedding while we were there but, as we were in the courtyard block away from the main house, we sacrificed a view of the gardens to enjoy peace and quiet. We could park immediately outside our room. The room was a bit small for two people for more a couple of nights although there are better rooms in the main house. As the main dining room was full with ‘functions’, our only supper was taken in the rather austere Butler's Brasserie. The meal wasn’t particularly exciting, although it was well enough cooked. My rare steak was perfectly done but why did the nice chips have to be in a silly wire basket? It was a pleasant surprise to get a well-served pint of hand pump real ale in the bar.

Buffet breakfast was excellent in the former morning room. The cooked items were well presented, particularly bacon and tomatoes, and there was an impressive coffee machine. Other dishes were available, cooked to order; our poached eggs (always a test of skill!) and smoked haddock were perfect.

We strolled in the gardens to admire the extensive formal and informal gardens. There were specimen trees and banks of camellias and rhododendrons but it was the wrong time of year to see them in flower. The lawns and buildings would be lovely for wedding photos although I doubt whether most conference visitors give the gardens a second look. It’s their loss. The original greenhouses are magnificent but in need of renovation, and there was a selection of home-grown plants for sale. How lovely not to have a golf course spoiling the view.

All the staff were affable and helpful, customer service appearing high on the agenda.

We paid £70 a night for our room and this included substantial breakfasts. Although the B&B side seems to be well outside Barnett Hill’s core business, we probably would go again especially to see the gardens at a different time of year.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank NR16
Barnetthill, General Manager at Barnett Hill Hotel, responded to this review, 10 January 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time and trouble to submit a review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at Barnett Hill and I was pleased to note that overall you had an enjoyable stay with us. Your comments are greatly appreciated as we take all forms of constructive feedback very seriously in that in enables us to concentrate our future efforts on what really matters to our guests and their overall enjoyment of the propertyand its grounds.

If you would like to return to Barnett Hill when the gardens are at their best I can highly recommend visiting in May when the Rhodedendrons are in full bloom and the weather a little warmer. I can also assure you that, whilst our core business during the week may be predominantly corporate meetings and events, many of our delegates as well as corporate travellers take time to enjoy the gardens especially at the end of each day as the peace and tranquility often beats being 'couped up' in a business hotel bedroom overlooking a car park adjacent to a major trunk road yet, we are still only five 10 minutes commute from central Guildford.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2011

The grounds are lovely but we did not have the opportunity to enjoy fully. The overall property is fantastic and the communal and function rooms in the main building were beautiful. I imagine the rooms here are likewise but we were given a room in an annex building, even though the hotel did not seem too busy. It would be interesting to know how rooms are allocated. Our room had less character than expected and in comaprison to what we had seen so far. Could do with a refurbishment with wallpaper coming away from the wall, sealant needs redoing in the bathroom etc. Well heated room in the evening and good shower and bathroom products. Good to see an iron in the room.

I believe the venue is 3 star which Tripadvisor does not state and this is not obvious on the Hotel's website. So some facilities are not available such as a fridge but I was impressed by the games room which is hidden downstairs in the main house. However, this also needs a little more attention as only having one dart for the dart board and no balls for table tennis makes some of it non-workable.

Breakfast tasted good. There were cereals, fruit, yoghurt and hot food. The latter was not always fully stocked so had do go up multiple times for a complete fry-up. This was a problem for people who sat in the adjacent room when the main breakfast room had reached capacity. There is no real service here as only one or two people are attending to replenishment and clearing away. Responses to questions were a little abrupt and this was also felt at reception and the bar where more rapport could have been built.

Godalming and Guildford were a short drive and both worth a visit. A car is a must when staying at the hotel.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank R10_6
Barnetthill, General Manager at Barnett Hill Hotel, responded to this review, 22 December 2011
Thank you very much for taking the time and trouble to complete a review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at Barnett Hill. I was pleased to note that, on the whole you appear to have had an enjoyable stay with us however, I apologise for our apparent failure to meet entirely with your expectations on this occasion.

With regard to how we allocate bedrooms this is done based upon the room rate you paid and the room category selected as there is a differential in style between rooms situated in the main house and rooms located in our Courtyard accommodation which is reflected in the rate paid.

Currently we do not have an official star rating as we are currently awaiting an acreditation inspection however, it is hoped that we will attain a four star rating for 'guest accommodation' since we are not a hotel as such and therefore, as you have correctly identified, we do not have all of the facilities you might expect to find in a hotel of the same rating although the service and hospitality provided is very similar.

Please accept my apologies for the fact that there were no table tennis balls and only one dart in our games room. Unfortunately these items do go missing at an alarming rate and as a result we generally carry sufficient spares as replacements but had clearly overlooked this at the time of your stay.

I'm sorry you felt our hospitality and service was a little lacking at various times during your stay and please be assured that, despite breakfast being a self-service operation on the whole, you should have at least been offered tea/coffee and toast and I apoloise if this was not the case. I have noted your comments and passed them on to my front line team for their further consideration and I thank you for bringing these issues to our attention.

Please be assured that we take all forms of constructive feedback very seriously indeed and I sincerely hope that when next in the area, we might be of service to you again when we will do our utmost to ensure you are well looked after.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2011

This was a wonderful find. I was looking for somewhere to stay near Guildford whilst visiting my brother. My first few searches found run of the mill chains charging over the top prices for what reviews showed to less than average stays. Then I found Barnett Hill. Just a few miles out of the town centre was a beautiful converts manor house with a great value bed and breakfast deal for £75 per room per night and I would have happily paid more. We were kindly allocated a disabled courtyard room for myself, sister ad nearly two year old daughter in a double room. The setting was beautiful, ( probably more better to have gone with my husband(!)), the room perfect with all the facilities you would expect and luxurious toiletries. We had a great nights sleep and did our best not to disturb other guests when my daughter woke at 5 am, and we're greate with very accommodating breakfast staff, a fabulous full English breakfast, easy checkout as well as complimentary water, fruit and biscuits for our onward journey. Whatever your reason for visiting Guildford, stay here. Just out of town, easy to get back to town, beautiful setting, wonderful rooms, very helpful staff, great breakfast and all round great hotel.

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank Petniok
Barnetthill, General Manager at Barnett Hill Hotel, responded to this review, 5 December 2011
Thank you very much for taking the time and trouble to submit a review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at Barnett Hill. I was delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your brief stay with us and I thank you for your very positive comments regarding the hospitality and facilities your received from us. It is always our intention wherever possible to look after our guests as we would like to be looked after ourselves and it is very gratifying to know that we were able on this occasion to meet and apparently exceed your expectations. I will certainly pass your comments on to all the members of my team who looked after you and we look forward to welcoming you back to Barnett Hill in the future possibly with your husband next time!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wonersh
Asperion
#11 of 11 in Guildford
Holiday Inn Guildford
Holiday Inn Guildford
#2 of 11 in Guildford

Been to Barnett Hill Hotel? Share your experiences!