“Bad service, dirty”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wonersh
London
“Bad service, dirty”
Reviewed 25 May 2012 via mobile

Be careful coming here as an independent visitor. Corporate guests are heavily prioritised. We ended up eating on our own in what felt like a kitchen.

• Stayed April 2012
Barnetthill, General Manager at Barnett Hill Hotel, responded to this review, 28 May 2012

I was of course most disappointed to read your comments and I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us, since it is never our intention to have guests leave Barnett Hill feeling anything other than completely satisfied and I apologise for our apparent failure to meet entirely with your expectations on this occasion.

I am sorry that during your stay you felt some of our corporate guests were given priority over independent travellers such as yourself as this was certainly never our intention however, we did not feel it would have been appropriate or comfortable for you to have been seated as a party of two in our main dining room alongside a much larger group of diners and our other secondary dining area was also fully booked at the time you wished to dine which was most unfortunate and resulted in us having to allocate you a table in our breakfast room.

As a result of your comments posted on our own independent review site, I sincerely hope my response to you directly via email as requested has demonstrated how seriously we take all forms of constructive feedback and I look forward to hopefully being of service to you again in the future when I assure you we will do our utmost to ensure you are well looked after.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Ilminster
Reviewed 5 May 2012

We booked this the day before arriving and were given a very reasonable rate. Instructions to get to the hotel were excellent and we drove through impressive grounds up to the main entrance, feeling that this was how we'd like to live! It's a magnificent house and the room (in the main house) was very comfortable. Often in older hotels the rooms are bit scruffy, floors creak and windows are a battle to open. Not so here - it wasn't exactly state-of-the-art design, but everything worked well and quietly!

The restaurant meal was good (though not exceptional as the steaks were rather tough) but it was a beautiful panelled restaurant, a wide variety of food from sandwiches to a good A la Carte menu and excellent service. All the public rooms were very elegant, but for us the grounds were a big attraction. Several acres of beautifully kept gardens surround the house. Every reviewer must have their pet concerns: for us we want plenty of good parking space and restaurant staff who are aware of the requirements of a gluten-free diet. Barnett Hill scored full marks for both these counts!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Barnetthill, General Manager at Barnett Hill Hotel, responded to this review, 8 May 2012
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit a review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at Barnett Hill. I was very pleased to note your comments and your specific appreciation of our attempts to retain the character of such an historic building whilst at the same time providing you with comfortable accommodation and facilities that work are in keeping with the style of the house.

Thank you for your positive comments about the quality and range of food available as this is something we like to think is one of our strengths since we prepare everything freshly to order using local produce wherever possible . I am very sorry however that your steaks were a little tough which is something we will certainly mention to our butcher. As a conference and meetings venue we are accustomed to dealing with a variety of special dietary requirements on an almost daily basis so the service team are very familiar with the specific needs of our guests and it certainly helps having a pastry chef in the kitchen who can prepare gluten free desserts on request given sufficient notice.

I was pleased that you had time to enjoy the extensive grounds and gardens during your stay with us which is certainly a very special part of Barnett Hill and coming into May when the rhodedendrons begin to flower is one of the best times of year if only we could have some slightly better weather than at present!
Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2012

This Hotel was lovely, lots of character and very clean, staff were also very helpful and friendly, the young woman on reception agreed to a late checkout for no extra cost which was great.
We stayed in a room located in the courtyard which was basic but again also very clean, I have no complaints what so ever but if im going to be a little picky then i will mention that there is slight mould in the bathroom, this is due to no ventilation so all i did was open the window.
The first morning we had breakfast in our room which was perfect, arrived on time and still warm, the next morning we get up and realised it was a buffet breakfast, all very fresh and lots of choice from cereals to pastry. We didnt have a meal in the hotel but again we ordered room service of burgers which were amazing, strongly recommend you try. The best part of this hotel for me was the garden, i spent a couple of hours out there trying all the different walks that go down into woodland, all still within the hotel grounds.
I had a fantastic, peaceful weekend and will deffo be back.
Oh one more thing .... Guildford is only a 15 min drive away which is a lovely place.

Room Tip: They do have weddings there so im not sure if staying within the hotel is noisy, the courtyard rooms...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nicecarter
Thank you very much for taking the time and trouble to submit a review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at Barnett Hill. I was delighted to note that we were able to accommodate your request for a late check out at no additional cost and that you enjoyed the food you ordered thorugh room service in particular the burgers which we prepare freshly on site to our own 'secret' recipe!

Our gardens and grounds are a very special part of Barnett Hill and I am so pleased that you took the time to explore the various trails through the wooded hillside which certaily lend themselves to enjoying the peace and tranquility of this part of the Surrey Hills.

Once again I thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the not too distant future
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 12 April 2012

We spent 3 nights at Barnett Hill with our extended family of 14 plus friends and family of the wedding party. The hotel looked exactly like the pictures, the garden area was gorgeous, and because the weather was delightful we were able to spend a great deal of time outside visiting. There is a small bar on the main floor and a small game room in the basement, but there wasn't a lot of indoor public space to sit and visit except for the breakfast room, and if an event is being held that room is closed.The staff was very professional and friendly, the free breakfast was adequate, and the coffee was great. We stayed in room 9 and it was ok, with some stains on the carpet and chairs. The small double bed was comfortable, some of the people in our party did not have hot water for showers on Sunday as they were getting ready for the wedding. The wedding reception was held at the hotel and they did a lovely job with the catering for the reception and dinner. The food was delicious and the service was done very professionally. Since Barnett Hill is located outside of Guildford be prepared for a drive in you want to go to other restaurants or shopping. The taxi fare was approximately 15 pounds one way.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Thank you very much for taking the time and trouble to submit a review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at Barnett Hill whilst attending a family wedding. I was delighted to read that overall you had an enjoyable 3 days with us and I thank you for your very positive comments regarding the professionalism of the service you received and the quality of food served at the wedding breakfast.

Please accept my sincere apologies however for the lack of hot water you experienced on the Sunday morning of your stay and for any inconvenience or discomfort this may have caused you. This was regrettably due to a boiler malfunction that could not be rectified until the following day when an engineer was called out but which fortunately only affected a few rooms in the main house that particular morning.

With regard to the cleaning of carpets and upholstery in bedrooms please be assured that we have a regular cleaning programme in place and always attempt to address such issues in order of priority whenever we are able to place rooms out of service to allow servicing to take place therefore, I thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Once again thank you very much for your comments and I hope you had a good journey back to the USA following the celebrations.
southampton
Reviewed 9 April 2012

After being really excited to spend my birthday treat at this hotel I can't begin to tell you how disappointed I was when I arrived! The drive to the hotel lead me to believe we were in for a wonderful experience however on entry our expectations were shattered. The strong smell of stale cooking greeted us. A friendly but not professional lady checked us in omitting all useful info such as breakfast times etc. Our room was grubby with mould in bathroom and dead insects on the windowsill by the window that was broken! We were offered an alternative room but one equipped for disabled with a shower room which seemed not to have been cleaned in a long while, the floor was so dirty it left me feeling quite repulsed! Though we had been told the hotel was not busy which I can believe as only 2 cars in car park this was all that was on offer. Sitting back in our awful room and feeling very miserable, dreadful smell wafting up to our room with constant banging of doors from kitchen we made a hasty retreat! Luckily we found a beautiful hotel where we had the most wonderful evening. One more thing the facilities of the games room consisted of a pool table in a dingy basement with all electric cables exposed on the ceiling with delightful plastic garden furniture to relax in! Really not at all worthy of any star in my opinion.

• Stayed April 2012
Barnetthill, General Manager at Barnett Hill Hotel, responded to this review, 12 April 2012
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit a review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at Barnett Hill over the Easter weekend. I was of course most concerned to note your comments regarding the quality of your bedroom since it is never our intention to have guests leave Barnett Hill feeling anything other than completely satisfied.

Having investigated your concerns personally I understand from the member of my Recption team who welcomed you at the weekend that your initial concern with the bedroom you were allocated was that it did not have a king size bed. Unfortunately when you brought this matter to our attention we only had one bedroom remaining with a king size bed which was our accessible room in our Courtyard accomodation which I appreciate was not to your liking. I am very sorry that we were unable to offer you any other alternative since, although there were other rooms available in the main house which you could have been shown, these did not have the option of a king size bed.

Please be assured that we do value all forms of constructive feedback and your comments regarding various aspects of the two rooms you were shown have been passed to my houskeeping and maintenance teams respectively. As a result, they have been asked to carry out whatever deep cleaning and/or remedial maintenance work may be necessary as a matter of urgency in order to ensure the usually high standard of our accommodation is effectively maintained.

I am very sorry if you were disturbed during your stay by noise coming from elsewhere in the main house and in particular from the doors in and out of the kitchen which we do try to keep closed as much as possible in order to minimise any noise and possible odours that may occasionally come from this area. Since this is not generally a reported issue, in light of your comments I will investigate the matter further to see if there is anything more we can do to further reduce any potential noise disturbance and I thank you for bringing this matter to my attention.

Please also accept my apologies for any disappointment you experienced with the facilities of our 'games room' which, in addition to the pool table is equipped with a table tennis table, table football machine, dart board, various family board games and Sky TV.

Unfortunately due to the age and construction of the building particlularly on the lower ground floor we have been unable to conceal all the services that run along the ceiling corridor behind a suspended ceiling due to the slightly restricted head height in this area which I accept is not very aesthetic in places. I am sorry that the painted Rattan conservatory furniture along the corridor was not to your liking which is provided as occasional seating for guests when waiting for others who may be showering and changing having used the gym and sauna facilities situated further along the same corridor.

As previously stated, it is never our intention to have guests leave us feeling anything other than completely satisfied and therefore, I would be delighted if you would accept an offer to stay with us again at some point in the future with our compliments when I assure you we will do our utmost to ensure you are well looked after and that, subject to availability we allocate you one of our main house bedrooms with a larger bed.
Warwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Stayed for two nights in bedroom 21, which was at the very top of the main house so very peaceful.

The food was delicious - we treated ourselves to dinner in the restaurant on our first evening and had room service on our second, which was delivered in no time at all.

The receptionist recommended using the park & ride into Guildford which was a great idea.

Room Tip: The bathroom in bedroom 21 had the loudest plumbing I've ever heard so avoid this one if you'...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
Barnetthill, General Manager at Barnett Hill Hotel, responded to this review, 11 April 2012
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit a review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at Barnett Hill. I was delighted to note that you had an such peaceful and pleasant stay with us and that you enjoyed dinner on each evening of your stay both in the dining room and from our room service menu.

Please accept my appologies for the noisy bathroom plumbing which I beleive may have been the toilet macerator unit. I thank you for brining this to my attention and I will have my maintenance team investigate the possible cause to see if anything more can be done to make the unit quieter when the toilet is flushed.

I was also very pleased that a member of my Reception team was able to offer you good advice with regard to local transport and the best way to access Guildford without having to negotiate the one way system especially if you are not familiar with the local roads.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Barnett Hill again in the future if you are ever in the local area and thank you once again for your very kind comments.
Wiltshire
Reviewed 28 March 2012

A real gem with character and superb grounds.Only a short drive from Guildford.A popular place for private functions.This made service a little slow in the bar for food but apologies and a free drink was very welcome.i will defintely stay there again if in the area.We had the wood pannelled restaurant to ourselves on Sunday.The staff were all extremely helpful.All the rooms are very different but well appointed,It made working at the weekend more tolerable.

Room Tip: Courtyard rooms are lovely and quiet
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Barnetthill, General Manager at Barnett Hill Hotel, responded to this review, 3 April 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time and trouble to submit a review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at Barnett Hill. I was delighted to note your appreciation of the character and setting of the property which it is hoped helps to set us apart from our competitors. My apologies for the fact that food service in the bar on the Saturday night of your stay was slightly slower than we would have liked which was, as you have stated due to an unusually busy eveing. However, I was pleased that we were able to accommodate you in the Oak Hall for dinner on your second evening which hopefully made up for any slight disappointment from the night before.

Thank you for your very positive feedback about the service and hospitality you received from various memebers of the team during your stay with us which is always gratefully received and we sincerely hope that we will have the opportunity to be of service to you again at some time in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wonersh
Guildford Harbour Hotel
Asperion Hillside Hotel
Asperion Hillside Hotel
#1 of 2 in Worplesdon
Mandolay Hotel & Conference Centre

Been to Barnett Hill Hotel? Share your experiences!