“An oasis”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wonersh
Haywards Heath, United Kingdom
“An oasis”
Reviewed 11 August 2013 via mobile

I had to meet a business colleague and needed a venue close to Bramley. The venue I had in mind turned out not to be suitable which left me searching for an alternative at 7am. I came across Barnett Hill on trip adviser. I was welcomed by a very enthusiastic young lady receptionist. I indulged in a fab Full English. I then used the lounge area to carry out my meeting. My main observation was the beautiful grounds and building. The hotel has the open and airy feel of a 5 star country hotel and all the staff had a smile. Whilst in the lounge I could overhear the intensive training programme which the staff were undergoing and have no doubts about the managers intent for ongoing improvement. On the way out I complimented the receptionist and she responded with great gusto by telling me about the hotel and showing me through some leaflets about the establishment and it's facilities should I wish to revisit. I can't comment on the food or rooms on this occasion but I certainly came away with a feeling of satisfaction at my last minute find.

Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank PeterCP
Barnetthill, General Manager at Barnett Hill Hotel, responded to this review, 2 September 2013
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit a review on Trip Advisor following your recent visit to Barnett Hill to conduct a small business meeting. I am delighted that you found us on Trip Advisor and that we were able to provide you with a more suitable environment in which to carry out your meeting with your colleague.

Thank you also for your very positive comments regarding the way in which you were greeted both on your arrival and again on your departure and for your observations regarding the overall manner and approach of the team at Barnett Hill which are much appreciated.

It is of course always our intention to have guests leave Barnett Hill feeling completely satisfied and we therefore look forward to hopefully being of service to you again in the not too distant future now that you know where we are situated!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Essex
Reviewed 31 July 2013

I stayed for one night for a business seminar. Having visited the website before-hand, the hotel looked very promising with its secluded location and extensive grounds. On arrival, the grounds were nice although not particularly well maintained in places.

Hopes were high for the standard of staff based on what was promised on the website and whilst most staff were indeed fairly polite and helpful, I do feel that there is room for improvement.

The room I was allocated was rather underwhelming with most fittings being of low quality and with the standard of installation and maintenance leaving a lot to be desired. Some of the soft furnishings were rather tired looking with grubby curtains and holes in the net curtains.
The greatest let down, however, was the cheap open spring mattress which was highly uncomfortable and only bearable by using the duvet to cushion the hard springs. Provision of better quality pocket spring mattresses (or similar) should really not be too much to ask for a hotel of this class.

The night was interrupted by constant noise from what must be some sort of fan/air conditioning which went off in regular intervals. In addition, there was also a false fire alarm going off at around midnight and whilst not a major issue as such, it would have been appreciated if staff could have re-assured the guests which were coming out of their rooms wondering whether to vacate the building or not. There was another false alarm the next day and once again staff did not deem it necessary to provide any information / advice to guests.

Breakfast was ok and just that with some of the cooked produce appearing to be of low quality.

Overall, the stay was ok but not great and certainly did not meet the high expectations set by the hotel's own website. Value for money is also questionable when considering the overall standards and rates charged.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank R J
Barnetthill, General Manager at Barnett Hill Hotel, responded to this review, 6 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit a review on Trip Advisor following your recent overnight stay with us whilst attending a business seminar. I am very sorry that you felt 'underwhelmed' with your stay overall and I apologise for our failure to meet entirely with your expectations on this occasion since it is never our intention to have guests leave feeling anything other than completely satisfied.

I was most disappointed that you felt our gardens and grounds were not that well maintained in places since this is usually an aspect of Barnett Hill that receives consistently positive comments. We do however accept that there is always work to be done around the 26 acre estate and Barnett Hill's grounds team are very aware of areas, particular in the woodland that are currently in need of more attention.

I am pleased that you found the majority of staff with whom you came in to contact during your stay to have been polite and helpful but once again I accept that there is always room for improvement both generally and in some cases with certain individual team members. We have recently acknowledged this internally having re-launched an updated version our award winning customer service programme for all managers and team members within the business in the past week which, it is hoped will enable us to further improve upon our already good levels of hospitality and service.

Thank you for your constructive feedback regarding the quality of your bedroom which is much appreciated since we are aware that, being an old historic building many of our rooms vary in terms of their size, location and appointment and that there is an on-going need for continual refurbishment and upgrading of our accommodation stock which is being addressed through a rolling improvement programme.

Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience you were caused by the fire alarm being activated twice during your stay which is not usual and has since been fully investigated to identify the probable cause. I am sorry if you felt you were not well informed however, when investigating an alarm activation our main priority is guest safety therefore we treat every alarm as real and ask guests to vacate the property until we are sure that there is no further danger before advising them that it is safe to return inside. We always try to do this as quickly as possible with a minimum of inconvenience and having managed the second of the two alarms during your stay I am confident that guests were kept informed of what was happening both on leaving and re-entering the building as well as could be expected.

Once again I am sorry for our apparent failure to meet with you expectations on this occasion however I very much appreciate your constructive feedback which will be shared with the Barnett Hill team as a whole so that we can focus our attention on the concerns you have raised and where necessary make any improvements that can be identified.
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2013

This hotel has so much going for it. The approach up the tree lined drive, with rabbits and a deer watching our arrival, gave one great expectations - and these expectations were more than met. My single room was the best I have ever had. It was spacious and very bright and had an extremely comfortable small double bed. The shower was excellent with a larshower head and lots of good hot water. There was a good sized tv and free WiFi. My room was in the courtyard surrounded by beautiful flowers. The hotel itself had the appearance of a stately home with wonderful gardens, beautifully cared for. I was lucky that the weather was warm and sunny when I was staying so I was able to eat my well prepared breakfast on the patio overlooking the garden. The staff were friendly and helpful and my room was meticulously serviced during the day when I
was out. I had a brilliant 2 night stay and cannot recommend this hotel highly enough.

Room Tip: My brilliant room was room 1
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit a review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at Barnett Hill. I was delighted that you had such an enjoyable stay with us and in particular that you found room 1 in the Garden Wing of the main house to be so comfortable with a good shower and range of other facilities.

The weather of course helps us a great deal especially with such extensive grounds and wonderful gardens as you have mentioned and I am pleased you had the opportunity to enjoy them and to eat your breakfast 'al fresco' each morning.

Your comments regarding the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff during your stay with us are very much appreciated and gratefully received and we thank you for your offer to recommend Barnett Hill to others. Hopefully we will have the pleasure of being of service to you again in the not to distant future but in the meantime thank you once again for your comments.
london
Reviewed 22 July 2013

I stayed at Barnet Hill for two nights with my husband as friends of ours were holding their wedding there.
TIP! We got a great deal of two night’s accommodation with dinner the first night. We got the deal direct with the hotel which was much cheaper than the special rate our friends were able to offer guests. This was a shame as we met several guests who would have stayed one if not both nights but thought the special guest rate was too expensive.
The room we were given was in the main house, after reading the negative reviews of the courtyard rooms we were very pleased. The room we had was modern, clean and a good size. The meal the first night was delicious and service was excellent.
We had a lovely relaxing morning before the wedding wandering around the grounds which are beautiful and well kept.
The wedding meal and service was great.
We would stay again for a weekend away.

Room Tip: Main house rooms
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank L_K1509
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit a review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at Barnett Hill whilst attending the wedding of your friends. I am delighted that you had such an enjoyable stay with us and that you were able to take advantage of one of our seasonal short break special offer packages.

It was of course disappointing to learn that some of the other guests attending your friends wedding apparently chose not to stay with us as they considered the special 'wedding' guest rate offered to them to be too expensive particularly since all our rates and packages are available on line through various booking sources.

I was pleased to note that you appreciated your room in the main house and that you enjoyed the food and service provided throughout your stay and we hopefully look forward to welcoming you back to Barnett Hill in the not too distant future for another weekend away as you have indicated
KENT
Reviewed 8 July 2013

We Stayed the at the Barnett Hill with a one night Red Letter day voucher, what a shame I didn't pack another clothes as one night is not enough. The hotel is beautiful, the rooms are interestingly different yet spacious with lovely original features and very clean and comfortable The gardens are stunning and it is well worth a walk around the surrounding grounds. The breakfast is perfect, plenty of choice and good quality. All the staff we dealt were exceptionally friendly and every staff member we met around the hotel greeted us, including the gardeners. Although not a must the free WiFi and Iphone docking station are a nice touch. We will definitely be visiting again Chisman, Sittingbourne Kent

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Barnetthill, General Manager at Barnett Hill Hotel, responded to this review, 15 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit a review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at Barnett Hill. I am delighted that you had such an enjoyable stay with us and that you had the opportunity to explore our grounds and gardens. Your very kind comments regarding the service and hospitality you received are very much appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back again hopefully in the not too distant future when you have my personal assurance that we will do our utmost to ensure you are well looked after again.
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 June 2013

Myself and my boyfriend stayed at the Barnett Hill Hotel on the first bank holiday weekend of May this year as we had been given a Red Letter Day voucher for Christmas. Out of the locations we were given to choose from, we were so glad we were able to go to Guildford for our weekend away! We actually chose to pay for an extra night as we wanted to make use of the bank holiday, and we were so glad we did as luckliy the weather was amazing! The hotel itself is beautiful, a grand country manor house with stunning grounds. The staff were lovely and our room, which was situated at the front of the hotel, was huge - very quirky and spacious. Breakfast was delicious each morning, and a three course dinner was included on the first night. Our meals were lovely and we had drinks afterwards in the bar that were a little pricey, but we did expect to pay a bit extra so we didnt mind. The next day we went on one of the woodland walks as the weather was so lovely, and really enjoyed the relaxation aspect that this hotel had to offer by using the sauna and the gym. The only thing i slightly disliked about this hotel was its location - we had to drive everywhere rather than just being able to walk in to the centre, but i guess you can't have everything! Situated in Wonersh, just outside Guildford, a 5 minute drive took us in to the centre of the city and we spent the majority of the weekend here. Overall i would definitely stay at Barnett Hill again for a relaxing weekend getaway as we had a truly memorable experience - big thank you to the staff!

Room Tip: Ask to be situated in the main house of the hotel, rather than the courtyard annexes as these looked...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Barnetthill, General Manager at Barnett Hill Hotel, responded to this review, 23 June 2013
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit a review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at Barnett Hill over the May Bank Holiday weekend. I am delighted that you had such an enjoyable stay with us and that you chose to stay for an additional night. As you have mentioned the weather over the weekend was exceptional allowing you to make the most of our countryside setting and our glorious grounds and gardens of which we are justifiably very proud. I was also very please to note that you found your room comfortable and that the quality of food and hospitality you received met with your expectations.
I'm sorry if you found our bar prices a little higher than you had hoped as we do try to maintain them in line with other local businesses offering a similar style and standard of service since we are very keen to offer our guests good value for money. We will of course keep this matter under review.
With regard to our location, I suppose it is a compromise in that, if we were closer to Guildford within walking distance we may not be able to offer the peace and tranquility that Barnett Hill provides and unfortunately the public transport links in this part of Surrey are not the best. However, as you mentioned we are only a 5 minute drive away from the town centre and Guildford has a lot to offer in terms of good quality shops, bars and restaurants as well as other attractions such as the theatre, leisure centre and G Live entertainment venue.
Thank you once again for your comments and we look forward to hopefully welcoming you back to Barnett Hill in the future as you have indicated.
Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2013

Many Thanks to all the staff at Barnett Hill Once again you delivered first class service.
We Loved our three day stay with you.Once again we left your great hotel feeling like Valued Guest.
Mrs P Greenwood.
Bolton.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Mrs Greenwood,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble once again to submit a review on Trip Advisor following your most Recent stay at Barnett Hill. I am delighted that you and your husband had such an enjoyable stay with us despite the slight issue concerning an apparent water leak from your bathroom which has since been fully resolved and I apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused you.
We are of course very grateful for your continued custom and for your endorsement of the service and hospitality we aim to provide at Barnett Hill which is much appreciated. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Best Regards

Tim Hall
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wonersh
Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa
#4 of 11 in Guildford
Manor House Hotel & Spa
Manor House Hotel & Spa
#11 of 11 in Guildford

Been to Barnett Hill Hotel? Share your experiences!