“English country”
Review of Barnett Hill Hotel

Barnett Hill Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wonersh
Reviewed 1 October 2013

A beautiful country house hotel close to Guildford. My wife and I stayed here for three nights while visiting Guildford for a wedding. This place boasts beautiful gardens from front to back. Take a romantic walk through the small forest exploring the vast grounds. You can picture what life would have been like a few hundred years ago.
We stayed in room number 34. A ground floor room close to a main set of stairs. Rooms are not as small as I would have thought and bathroom was modern and clean. The bed we had was just a double, and was a bit small for us.
Rooms are cosy and non hotel like with stiff bleached sheet.
Dont eat lunch at the bar as there are only plain basic expensive sandwiches. Breakfast was included in our rate which was not all that bad.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 34 which was a ground level room. some slight creaking from the stairs above but o...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Barnetthill, General Manager at Barnett Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2013

Dear Jaryd,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit a review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at Barnett Hill whilst visiting the Guildford area to attend a wedding locally. I was delighted to note that you had the opportunity to explore our extensive gardens and grounds and that you appreciated the beauty of our surroundings which have remained largely unchanged since the house was built in 1905.

Being an old historic property our bedrooms do vary considerably in the size, style and appointment and I am pleased that room 34 did not disappoint although I do appreciate that a queen size bed would be an improvement which is something we will be taking into account in our future investment plans.

I am sorry that there was only a limited choice menu available in the bar a lunchtime during your stay which was due to other events taking place at Barnett Hill on these days. This is something we are currently reviewing to ensure we offer a wider choice to guests not attending Barnett Hill events in future and I appreciate your constructive feedback. We are also in the process of enhancing our overall breakfast offering which will hopefully elevate it form being rated as 'not that bad' to being 'very good indeed' as there is always room for improvement in everything that we do.

Once again I thank you for your comments and we look forward to hopefully welcoming you back to Barnett Hill in the future should you ever be in the Guildford area.

Reviewed 20 September 2013

We stayed at Barnett Hill for 8 nights at the end of our extended trip of the UK. From the first contact with Barbora to enquire for accommodation (the week before), to our early morning departure for an early flight, every thing at this venue was first class. We were fortunate to have the largest room, located in the Gardner's cottage, this was spacious, comfortable, airy, cosy, and warm when the weather turned. All the staff were so accommodating, I cannot praise them enough. I had business to complete which involved international shipping; fax services, copying and Internet facilities were no problems to them and did not show on the final bill. We only ate breakfasts which were very good with full choices of cooked, cereals, fruit and pastries and toast etc. A great place to stay in beautiful countryside.

Room Tip: Book Gardner's Cottage it's more secluded.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Paula D

Dear Paula,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit a review on Trip Advisor following your recent extended stay at Barnett Hill in September. I was delighted to note that you considered your stay with us to be a 'first class' experience and your very kind comments in respect of the service and hospitality you received are very much appreciated by all the team.

I was particularly pleased that you found your accommodation in our newly renovated Gardener's Cottage so comfortable as it is always very reassuring to learn when we have got something 'just right' in terms of the facilities provided and the investments we have made recently.

We wish you well and hopefully look forward to being of service to you again someday when you are next in the UK.

Reviewed 12 September 2013

WOW! Where do I start. My fiance and I were looking at wedding venues for about 3 months until we stumbled upon this amazing place. We were welcomed by ALL staff right from the beginning. They were helpful, accommodating and polite. NOTHING was too much in the run up to my big day. I cannot speak highly enough of the staff, ALL STAFF, from cleaners, receptionist, kitchen and managers. Every one was happy to help and very pleasant. The big day its self was AMAZING they helped with EVERY aspect, nothing felt a problem or too much. They looked after all of us so well. My whole wedding party stayed from Thursday to Sunday and were made to feel comfortable and welcomed. The accommodation, rooms and grounds were amazing- our wedding photos were STUNNING. The chefs were so helpful and the food was DELICIOUS! The gym and games room were a delightful added touch. I have received such brilliant feedback from all of my guests and I loved it soooo much I know it was the best choice ever. They were also, surprisingly, very well priced. I am looking forward to visiting Barnett Hill on our anniversaries. Thanks Barnett Hill. (It only took me one year to write the review) But I was recommending you to a friend and while reading some of the reviews I felt that I should include my PERFECT experience.

Room Tip: 50 of my wedding party stayed and not one person had a bad word to day about any of the rooms. All r...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Karima,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to finally find time to submit a review on Trip Advisor following your wedding celebrations in August last year. It may have taken a while but we are all very grateful for your positive comments regarding all aspects of your stay with us which are very much appreciated.

I hope you and Ed are enjoying your first year of marriage together and we look forward to looking after you both again in the future should you decide to celebrate the odd anniversary or two with us

Reviewed 4 September 2013

We stayed at the hotel as a base for a family wedding. The venue was lovely and spacious and accommodating. The hotel and grounds are beautiful and well maintained. I enjoyed walking in the woodlands and my husband, a keen gardener, was very impressed by the well developed gardens. 3 weddings took place during our stay but staff continued to offer our party outstanding hospitality and could not have been more friendly and helpful. We felt relaxed, enjoyed the delicious breakfasts and the well appointed and attractive rooms. The staff have worked very hard to provide a happy and relaxing space for their guests.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Barnetthill, General Manager at Barnett Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2013

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit a review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at Barnett Hill whilst attending a family wedding locally. I am delighted that you had such an enjoyable stay with us and that you had the opportunity to take advantage of our beautiful gardens and unspoiled woodland walks.
It was particularly pleasing and reassuring to note that whilst we were very busy during the time of your stay with three weddings of our own taking place the team were able to provide you and your friends with the level of hospitality and personalised service we aim to offer everyone who stays with us.
Your very kind comments regarding how hard the team worked to provide a happy and relaxing space for you during your stay were very much appreciated and gratefully received.
Hopefully we will have the opportunity of looking after you again in the future when perhaps you might be invited to attend the occasional significant anniversary celebration or maybe even a christening which we could of course host if required!!

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Stayed here during a business visit to Guildford. An amazing place, amidst of lush green countryside with absolutely no noise.. I could actually hear my own breath while taking morning walks in the garden. Lovely staff to help you with everything you need. Well, the standard room wasnt big enough, but double rooms are spacious. I would have rated it excellent of 5 stars, it had been well connected to road by walk.

Room Tip: Go for double room. You will definitely not like the standard room, although there is difference of...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit a review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at Barnett Hill. Your comment regarding the peace and tranquility of our setting has to be one of the best responses we have received to date.
I was pleased to note that overall you had a very enjoyable stay with us despite the size of our standard rooms being a little small for your liking however I hope that the hospitality and service you received more than made up for this.
In terms of our location I'm afraid the compromise for peace and quiet is that we are not easily reached by walking from the nearest main road network and unfortunately public transport services in this area of Surrey are rather limited. However I am assuming that this would not deter you from staying with us again when next on business in Guildford and we hopefully look forward to being of service to you once again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 2 September 2013

We needed a one night stay near to friends. This hotel is just beautiful. It has lovely gardens and great staff. We had a very nice meal in the restaurant. The room had all the things you'd expect but I can't say it was luxurious - more adequate than posh but perfectly comfortable all the same. Flat screen tv, tea and coffee, iron and trouser press. There was a wedding on whilst we were there but our room in the courtyard was peaceful. Bed was really comfy. The staff at the hotel are very helpful - we left a jacket behind and they couldn't have been more helpful. We didn't use the sauna or gym. I would recommend.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit a review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at Barnett Hill whilst visiting friends locally. I was delighted to note that you had an enjoyable stay with us and your comments regarding the grounds & gardens, food quality and the hospitality you received are very much appreciated.
I have noted your comment regarding the 'adequate' standard of your bedroom in our Courtyard and would agree that, whilst these rooms are comfortable and have all the necessary amenities one might expect , some rooms would benefit from further investment in terms of modernisation which is something we are currently considering having already completed a number of bedroom refurbishments elsewhere throughout the property .
Thank you for recommending us to others and I sincerely hope that you will have another opportunity in the future to visit you friends and stay with us once again when hopefully we may be able to allocate you one of our upgraded bedrooms.

Reviewed 31 August 2013

I needed a last minute overnight in Guildford and the Barnett Hill sounded good. Very impressive drive from the road sweeping up through well maintained lawns and gardens. Ample parking close to all rooms. The reception could not have been more helpful giving all details of the hotel layout, opening and closing times of the gym and bars and restaurants. I was given single room 37 in the courtyard buildings. Lovely quiet setting and an attractive building. The room itself was fairly small but was well appointed with freeview TV , Ipod docking station, tea and coffee facilities and free wifi. Also room boasted a bath with shower and complementary toiletries. Decor a touch jaded but still clean and tidy.

The hotel also had a bar area and steps leading down to a games room with table football, pool, table tennis and darts. Watch out for the low roof.

I took breakfast the following morning and was very happy with the choice of fruits , cereals and full english buffet. There was also the added bonus and having the option to take breakfast ouside as it was such a sunny morning. This offered fantastic views of the Surrey countryside and was a real treat.

Check was smooth and simply and I would not hesitate in recommending this hotel.

My only regret was not having enough time to explore the acres of well manicured grounds !

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Barnetthill, General Manager at Barnett Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time and trouble to submit a review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at Barnett Hill and for your very positive comments in respect of all aspects of your stay.

I am very pleased that we lived up to expectations having provided a last minute solution for your overnight stay near Guildford. I fully accept your comments regarding the decor in room 37 which, along with some of our other rooms is in need of updating and is part of a future planned refurbishment programme. However as you have noted the room had all the necessary modern ammenities and was clean and tidy if not a little on the small side as one of 8 single rooms we have on site.

I am delighted that you had the opportunity to take breakfast 'al fresco' which is certainly one of the benefits of staying at a property like Barnett Hill when the weather is fine and hopefully you will have time on a future occasion to stay with us again when you may have the opportunity to enjoy much more of our 26 acres of manicured gardens, grounds and woodland.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wonersh
Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa
#1 of 3 in Egham
Asperion
Asperion
#1 of 11 in Guildford

Been to Barnett Hill Hotel? Share your experiences!