“A secret haven, perfect, and incredible value.”
Review of Barnett Hill Hotel

Barnett Hill Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wonersh
Reviewed 7 April 2014

I booked in yesterday (Sunday) at the last minute. A warm welcome by Emma, a lovely quiet room, huge luxury bathroom, lots of lovely towels, a gorgeous bed, and a great breakfast helped make up my mind to stay again tonight. Perfect!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank HeatherMD1
Barnetthill, General Manager at Barnett Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Dear Heather MD

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit a review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at Barnett Hill and for completing the review whilst you were still in residence! I was delighted to note how much you enjoyed your whole experience so much so that you were encouraged to stay with us for a second night. Your comments are much appreciated and we hope you will have the opportunity to stay with us again in the future when you are next visiting the area.

Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed as a red letter day. We were given a complimentary upgrade and stayed in a out house which was newly updated and it was great. There was a wedding going on so it was nice to be out of the way. The room was clean, modern and quiet. We had a lovely dinner. My only slight moan would be that dinner came very quickly. There was less then 5 minute wait between our starter and main.
We hired the free bikes and had a lovly bike ride around the grounds.
A lovely hotel.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit a review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at Barnett Hill on a Red Letter Days dinner, bed and breakfast break. I was delighted that we were able to offer you a complimentary upgrade at the time of your stay and that in providing you with accommodation away from the main house this added to your comfort and relaxation whilst we had a wedding celebration taking place.

Thank you for your very positive comments in respect of the recently developed new bedrooms in our Gardener's Cottage and the quality of the food you were served at dinner albeit a little too quickly for your liking which I am sorry if this made you feel a little rushed. It was also great to note that you made use of the complimentary bike hire to explore the gardens and grounds and I sincerely hope that you will consider returning to Barnett Hill for another visit in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

Booked a last min night away here. When checking in we asked about the restaurant and was told there was 2 parties going on so we could not eat there and instead given a sandwich menu that we could have delivered to our room, which was not cheap! We wanted our evening dinner not a sandwich in our little room. We chose then had a call saying all they actually had was a cheese sandwich nothing else from the menu. Disappointing. The room was tiny, especially for a double room! It was away from to main building in the courtyard. Staff were not helpful and rude.

• Stayed: December 2013
Barnetthill, General Manager at Barnett Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit a review on Trip Advisor following your stay at Barnett Hill in December last year. I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us and I apologise for our apparent failure to meet entirely with your expectations on this occasion.

Unfortunately so much time has elapsed since you stayed with us that I am unable to fully investigate your concerns however, from your comments it would appear that you may have arrived late after our kitchen had closed for the evening and last orders for dinner had been taken since this is the only time we would be unable to provide a full dinner service to individual hotel guests. After 9.30 p.m. we do normally offer a sandwich menu which is available 24 hours and includes a selection of fillings with a choice of white or granary bread. Once again I am very sorry if on the occasion of your stay we were only able to offer you cheese which would have been most unusual.

I am sorry if you found your room in our Courtyard accommodation too small for your liking and I apologise for any inconvenience or disappointment this may have caused you. As with many old historic properties the majority of our rooms do vary in terms of their size, style and appointment having originally been built as a family home in the early 1900's and some of our larger bedrooms which are situated in the main house do carry a rate premium as a result.

It would be most out of character for any member of the Barnett Hill team to be rude and unhelpful since it is never our intention to have anyone leave us feeling anything other than completely satisfied and generally the feedback we receive from our guests in this respect is always very positive. Therefore, I apologise once more if you were made to feel unwelcome in any way and I hope that you may consider giving us another opportunity in the future to demonstrate to you our usually high standards of service and hospitality.

Reviewed 1 April 2014

This is a very nice hotel in superb grounds it is out of the way in lovely peaceful suroundings. The staff are great and very helpful, especially Mary Ann who co-ordinated the wedding and catering events associated with it, she is a true asset to Barnet Hill.
We are pensioners and attended a family wedding for about 60 people, the service was very good the food well presented and very efficiently served.
The prices are good value for money and the bar was very well stocked with good choice.
As we stayed for two nights the only fault was our room (24) which was definitely not big enough to be described as a double room to say the least, (you could not walk round the bed, see photo's) The very small wardrobe was half a single size and could not accommodate the clothes we had taken for two days. I had to climb over the bed to get to my side and at 74 that is not easy. The bathroom was large and modern but with one small shelf and no other storage space We asked twice at reception if we could have a bigger room but were told it was not possible. Would we stay again? Yes, but we would check out the size of our room first as room 24 is very cramped and uncomfortable.

Room Tip: Avoid room 24 and check out room sizes, some other rooms we saw were fine.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Barnetthill, General Manager at Barnett Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

Dear John G

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit a review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at Barnett Hill whilst attending a family wedding. I was very pleased to note that overall you enjoyed your stay with us and that the food and service during the wedding celebrations was much appreciated. Thank you also for your very kind comments about Maryann who looked after you so well on the day. She was awarded 'employee of the month' for March and received £50 so your praise for her was duly recognised!
I am sorry that you were allocated room 24 which you found too small and cramped and that due to us being fully booked over the weekend we were unable to move rooms for you when asked. I fully appreciate that the room itself is quite small and that accessing both sides of the bed is a challenge so do please accept my sincere apologies and be assured that, had we been able to offer you an alternative room that better suited your needs we would have done so since it is never our intention to have anyone leave Barnett Hill feeling anything other than completely satisfied.
I do hope you will have the opportunity to visit us again in the future perhaps when you are visiting your family in the area when you have my personal assurance that we will do our best to allocate you one of our larger bedrooms and ensure that you are well looked after.

Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

I have lived in this area for over forty years and never been here! What a fantastic venue , the whole evening was fantastic from the moment we were warmly greeted till we left , the meal was fantastic, well done to the amazing chefs , and Georgia and Colette were amazing!!!! Nothing was to much trouble!. I still cannot understand how I've missed this venue. Looking forward to another visit in the very near future! Perfect in every way.

Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Firgidssake

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit a review on Trip Advisor following your recent visit to Barnett Hill whilst attending a friend's 60th birthday celebrations. I was delighted to note that you enjoyed such a 'fantastic' evening with us and I thank you for your very kind comments in respect of the quality of food and service you received.
I have passed on your comments to the chefs and Georgie and Colette have both received Sundial Star nominations for this month which could result in one of them being awarded £50 at the end of the month if their card is picked out in our monthly draw.
You know what they say 'it's never too late' and now that you've found us, we hopefully look forward to being of service to you again in the future when we will do our utmost to ensure you are well looked after and that any future celebrations are equally as enjoyable!

Reviewed 30 March 2014

I came here for the Mother's Day lunch with my wife, my 2 yr old daughter and my parents. The setting is beautiful and the Oak Hall is a lovely intimate and beautifully furnished room. The 3 course menu was excellent, the food was beautifully cooked and presented. Although there was no children's menu the waitresses and kitchen staff were happy to cater to my daughter's needs. She had her own special starter, a smaller and tailored portion of the main meal from the set menu and a tasty fruit salad for dessert. We all had something different from the set menu and loved it. The staff were the friendliest and most efficient I have come across. The serving of the 3 courses was perfectly timed.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit a review on Trip Advisor following your recent visit to Barnett Hill for Mother's Day Sunday lunch which was most unexpected but very much appreciated.
I am delighted that you and your family enjoyed the occasion and that the ambience of the Oak Hall, quality of the food served and the service provided exceeded your expectations. I was also very pleased to note that in the absence of a children's menu as such, the team were very accommodating in looking after your 2 year old daughter's needs however, this has highlighted the need for us to consider this more fully for future special family events and we have already discussed how this might be improved so thank you for your feedback.
Hopefully you will find an opportunity to visit us again before Mother' Day next year as we do serve Sunday lunch on selected dates throughout the year but in the meantime I thank you once again for your very kind comments

Reviewed 25 March 2014

I stayed one night as part of a business trip and found that everything worked well for me. The gym is well equipped and the sauna excellent. Dinner was good and the price was in line with hotel meals. Breakfast could not be faulted. I found the staff to be first class and very helpful making the stay pleasant. All hotels have something not quite right but I would readily forgive the Barnett Hill for having empty salt grinders.
The grounds and location are superb. I would recommend staying here.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Dear Niige,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit a review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at Barnett Hill whilst on business in the Guildford area. I was delighted to note that you were well looked after by the team during your stay with us and that you enjoyed the service and facilities provided including the gym and the sauna.
Thank you also for your positive comments in respect of the food you ate at dinner and again at breakfast which we have recently reviewed therefore, it is extremely satisfying to read that it 'could not be faulted'. I'm sorry about the empty salt grinder and I thank you for being so understanding however, as a salt lover myself I have made the point to my food service team that it is the little things that count!
Thank you for recommending others to stay with us which is much appreciated and we sincerely hope that we may be of service to you again at some point in the future when you next have business in the area

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wonersh
Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa
#1 of 3 in Egham
Asperion
Asperion
#1 of 11 in Guildford

Been to Barnett Hill Hotel? Share your experiences!