Barnett Hill Hotel
Godalming Hotel(Godalming)
  • Restaurant
Asperion(Guildford)
  • Pool
All reviewsthe main houseafternoon teagorgeous groundsoriginal featuresbeautiful hotelcountry housebreakfast roombuffet stylewedding venuean upgradea lovely staylovely settingwedding breakfastguildford areastayed one nightfull englishbooked this hotel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 14 May 2014

This is a great location just outside Guildford. Unfortunately it gets booked up as a result of reviews like this. Lovely setting - perfect for small courses/meetings. The staff are well trained but human which really helps for a conference venue. Single rooms are quite small but adequate.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Barnetthill, General Manager at Barnett Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit a review on trip Advisor following your recent at Barnett Hill whilst travelling on business. I am delighted that you had a successful and productive stay with us and that you enjoyed the service and hospitality you received.
I have noted your comment regarding the size of our single bedded rooms of which there are currently seven out of sixty bedrooms however, I am very pleased to advise that we are in the process applying for listed building consent to remodel the 27 bedrooms in our Courtyard accommodation to provide all double rooms in due course which, will be a significant improvement despite the loss of approximately six rooms in total.

Reviewed 10 May 2014

Almost a month ago the wedding of our son and new daughter-in-law took place here. The most memorable weekend for all concerned. A truly wonderful experience . Many thanks and congratulations to all staff and especially Maryann who worked so hard to provide an unforgettable couple of days . THANK YOU !

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank beancounter186361
Barnetthill, General Manager at Barnett Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit a review on Trip Advisor following your son's wedding reception in April this year and for your ringing endorsement of Barnett Hill as a 'fantastic wedding venue'. I am delighted that we were able to play such an integral role in celebrating such a special day and your very kind comments in respect of all the team and in particular Maryann are greatly appreciated,

Reviewed 7 May 2014

Wonderful location, great park with beautiful plants everywhere. A lot of room to walk, sit and relax. Rooms are small but cozy, clean and well maintained. Very helpful and nice staff. We stayed with our kids and our daughter got sick - the staff was willing to drive us to hospital.

The food at the restaurant for breakfast and dinner is very good. Fresh and well cooked.

As possible improvement, I would suggest adding some storage space in the rooms and couple of hooks in the rooms and in the bathrooms

Overall, highly recommended

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear Alex

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit a review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at Barnett Hill with your family. I am sorry that your daughter fell ill during the course of your stay with us and I am pleased that we were in a position to offer you assistance. Hopefully she is now fully recovered and feeling much better.

Thank you for your very positive comments in respect of the gardens & grounds which are full of colour at this time of year and for your comments in respect of the quality of food, service and hospitality you received during your stay. I have noted your comments regarding the provision of more storage space and hooks in the bedrooms and bathrooms and wherever space permits in future refurbishments we will take this in to consideration.

Thank you once again for your comments and hopefully we may be of service to you again in the future if you are ever visiting the Guildford area and the Surrey Hills.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

I stayed here with my partner on Sunday 4th May, we found the drive up to the hotel was so appealing, it smelt wonderful too. Check in was quick and efficient, offered an upgrade but declined as we wanted an en-suite that had a bath and shower. Our room was comfortable and welcoming and very clean with lots of lovely toiletries and nice biscuits and plenty of teas and coffees and a welcome bottle of spring water. The bed was oh so comfortable and the views from our room were lovely. We walked around the grounds in the early evening and promised we would go back again. The only downside if there was one was that our room was in the Courtyard which is lovely and quiet just perfect and we were able to park the car there too, but we had to climb a spiral staircase to get to our room this I did very dauntingly at first, and had to leave all the luggage to my partner, by the time I left the next day after a very nice breakfast with pleasant and accommodating staff I was almost unafraid of that staircase but not quite. Yes we will definitely be going back, so thank you Barnett Hill for a lovely but short stay.

Room Tip: lots of rooms have good views, however room number 1 which we were first offered only looked onto some parked cars, room 45 in the courtyard was much better.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit a review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at Barnett Hill. I am delighted that you enjoyed your short stay with us and that everything apart from the climb up the spiral staircase to your room appears to have met with and hopefully exceeded your expectations!

As I mentioned in my response to another reviewer recently, we do have an alternative staircase that can be used to access the 1st floor bedrooms in the Courtyard albeit a a slightly longer way around but in light of both yours and the other comments received, I have now requested that my Reception team give guests the choice upon check-in.

We look forward to being of service to you again in the future and please don't leave it too long before you return.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

This wonderful (huge) old property once owned by Thomas Cook, is fantastic. If you are a gardener you will appreciate the 25 acres of grounds and woodlands through which you may wander. We arrived early May to the wondrous sight of mature rhododendron and azaleas in full bloom ... reds, yellow, pinks and purples. Absolutely breath-taking.
The breakfast rooms and restaurant are typical of an old period house - wood clad walls and ornate architecture. We stayed in the Courtyard accommodation to one side of the main house. We were offered an upgrade on arrival to the main house, but when we discovered that the room had shower only facilities, we declined and took the room we had booked, sight unseen. We discovered that we had been assigned an upper floor room which had to be accessed via a metal spiral staircase. We were not warned of this by staff on arrival and at first look, the climb with suitcases seemed a real challenge for two elderly but supremely fit 64 year olds. However, the attic room was clean, comfortable and well furnished, The tea/coffee making facilities with quality biscuits was a nice touch. If anything was missing, I can only think that a box of tissues might have been added to the very nice bathroom toiletries provided. The bathroom was quite spacious and wholly unexpected - almost the size of the bedroom! I would certainly visit again and would recommend it to friends. Just remember to ask for a room that does not have to be accessed by that spiral staircase. On the other hand, why not pop in there and have a look at it yourself!

Room Tip: If you have trouble with stairs, especially a narrow spiral staircase, avoid a room in the upper floor (attic) in the Courtyard accommodation. Most rooms have stunning views over lawns, shrubs and woodlands.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rebelcall

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit a review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at Barnett Hill. I am delighted that you had such an enjoyable stay with us and in particular that you were able to explore our wonderful grounds and gardens during the springtime.

Please accept my apologies for having to climb up the spiral staircase to your room which I appreciate can be a little challenging when carrying luggage however, there is another staircase that accesses the 1st floor of our Courtyard accommodation which is a slightly longer way around but you could have used it had it had it been pointed out to you. I must also apologise for the box of tissues that was missing in your room as this is part of our normal standards and as such should have been available.

I am of course very pleased that you would consider visiting Barnett Hill again in the future and for your offer to recommend us to your friends. We look forward to welcoming you back in due course!